Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Bcozzi71

Anyone down to teach...

Next week im off for spring break and want to put my new cam, carb, and intake on. However although im normally pretty handy with tools and figuring things out I was just wondering if anyone would like to help me with this project. Im really looking for someone to teach me how to do it and assist with any problems I might have. Ill buy some lunch and beer for some help?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
69BirdX
12 Second Club

I may be around to give a hand but work is crazy busy and i have fire school this weekend
'04 Pontiac GTO....Sunday Funday Special

69BirdX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
B4C

Possibly Ive never done a cam before but intake and carb are cake
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

I will be around, but do you have all the necessary tools too do this, along with all the gaskets and stuff?

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Are you doing a flat tappet or roller cam?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Bcozzi71

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
I will be around, but do you have all the necessary tools too do this, along with all the gaskets and stuff?
I have the gaskets,the cam, intake, and carb. The timing chain and rockers should already be good. I still need to get fresh coolant and oil at some point this week. Tools I should have everything I believe. Any special tools I might need to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Are you doing a flat tappet or roller cam?
Its a flat tappet cam.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
siguy

where are you located
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Bcozzi71

im in haddon twp.... if it easier i could drive to you guys.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
I have the gaskets,the cam, intake, and carb. The timing chain and rockers should already be good. I still need to get fresh coolant and oil at some point this week. Tools I should have everything I believe. Any special tools I might need to get?

Its a flat tappet cam.
Then make sure you have the right oil and additives.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

timing light

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Isn't there a funky wrench to tighten down the distributor ?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Rockers don't matter. You're pulling the timing chain off, i always replaced them, but your call.

This is a list just going off memory aside from the cam, carb, intake, and the normal sets of metric and standard sockets, wrenches, universals, etc. May be stuff I missed, but this is R&R a cam in my head and what I normally replace...

-Lifter puller, oil primer drill attachment
-Valve springs, valve seals (int & exh), spark plug air tool, valve spring compresssor, and pencil magnet
-Timing chain gasket set (water pump gasket included)
-Harmonic balancer puller, 3 jaw gear puller (if replacing timing chain), balancer installer (threaded stud with a bearing), propane torch (again, if doing timing chain)
-Since the oil pan is already loose for the timing cover, and distributor is out. I use this time to jack the motor up and replace the oil pan gasket is its old and showing signs of leaking.
-Intake manifold gaskets, RTV, lock-tite, gasket scraper/razor blade and TQ Wrench
-New plugs since you need to yank them for the springs, wires/cap/rotor if they are old
-Cam lube, timing light, oil and filter x2 since you need to break the cam in I think
-Valve cover gaskets (again if worn/leaking)
-Timing light, antifreeze
-Then ill top it off with a tune up like pcv valve, fuel filter, belts (if worn/cracked), thermostat + gasket

Quote:
Its a flat tappet cam.
Im not sure, if its reccomended to replace the lifters, when you swap a flat tappet cam. I've only delt with roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Isn't there a funky wrench to tighten down the distributor ?
that or a crows foot. Not that big of a issue there.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85

Last edited by deadtrend1; 03-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
WildBillyT

Quote:
Rockers don't matter. You're pulling the timing chain off, i always replaced them, but your call.

This is a list just going off memory aside from the cam, carb, intake, and the normal sets of metric and standard sockets, wrenches, universals, etc. May be stuff I missed, but this is R&R a cam in my head and what I normally replace...

-Valve springs, valve seals (int & exh), spark plug air tool, valve spring compresssor, and pencil magnet
-Timing chain gasket set (water pump gasket included)
-Harmonic balancer puller, 3 jaw gear puller (if replacing timing chain), balancer installer (threaded stud with a bearing), propane torch (again, if doing timing chain)
-Since the oil pan is already loose for the timing cover, and distributor is out. I use this time to jack the motor up and replace the oil pan gasket is its old and showing signs of leaking.
-Intake manifold gaskets, RTV, lock-tite, gasket scraper/razor blade and TQ Wrench
-New plugs since you need to yank them for the springs, wires/cap/rotor if they are old
-Cam lube, timing light, oil and filter x2 since you need to break the cam in I think
-Valve cover gaskets (again if worn/leaking)
-Timing light, antifreeze
-Then ill top it off with a tune up like pcv valve, fuel filter, belts (if worn/cracked), thermostat + gasket

Im not sure, if its reccomended to replace the lifters, when you swap a flat tappet cam. I've only delt with roller

that or a crows foot. Not that big of a issue there.
Tim:

It is required to change the lifters when swapping flat tappet cams, unless for some reason you are buying a used cam that comes with lifters matched to each lobe.

You also need the right cam goo and ZDDP enriched oil or you are wasting your time.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
Bcozzi71

The motor is a rebuilt 305 with 3000-4000 miles on it. The only thing that i believe Im missing are...
Quote:
-Timing light
-- a crows foot.
I bought new spark plugs, lifters, cam, intake, carb, Cam Change Gasket set, RTV and cam lube that came with cam.

Quote:
Harmonic balancer puller, 3 jaw gear puller (if replacing timing chain), balancer installer (threaded stud with a bearing), propane torch (again, if doing timing chain)
The timing in chain should be good since the motor was rebuilt 3000 miles ago. So i dont think ill need these things.

Any suggestions on a good break in oil? Thats what i still have to buy oil/coolant.
Someone told me rotella is high in zinc also mixed with lucas is good for cam break in. Is this true?

Last edited by Bcozzi71; 03-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Bcozzi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
B4C

If I can make it I have the dist wrench...a thursday would be best for me. Um monday or wed I could stop by after school. They sell speical oil for flat tappet break in, buy it dont trust someones hearsay get what you know will work, you can get it at autozone.
Edit wow Im an idiot I have off from school so monday wed or thursday would be good for me...never done a cam on a chevrolet, but I have alot of engine building books with step by step instructions...lmk if ya need help or want more people to hangout I would be down

Last edited by B4C; 03-09-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #16
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
If I can make it I have the dist wrench...a thursday would be best for me. Um monday or wed I could stop by after school. They sell speical oil for flat tappet break in, buy it dont trust someones hearsay get what you know will work, you can get it at autozone.
I used Comp's break in oil. If you were closer I'd sell you my remaining 6 quarts of it. You can use regular oil if you dump in a bottle of flat tappet additive. Rotella T DID have the proper ZZDP levels but that is no longer the case. I believe VR1 is the only "off the shelf" stuff that's good to go.

Do not half ass the flat tappet break in. If you wipe a lobe you're dicked.

B4C, check out veno's post on "the other site" ;D it's got what he needs.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
B4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I used Comp's break in oil. If you were closer I'd sell you my remaining 6 quarts of it. You can use regular oil if you dump in a bottle of flat tappet additive. Rotella T DID have the proper ZZDP levels but that is no longer the case. I believe VR1 is the only "off the shelf" stuff that's good to go.

Do not half ass the flat tappet break in. If you wipe a lobe you're dicked.

B4C, check out veno's post on "the other site" ;D it's got what he needs.
wait what is this "other site" Im not shure I follow... I gotcha Ill check it out pm me a link or the thread title.
Nevermind found it.

Last edited by B4C; 03-09-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
B4C

Quote:
The timing in chain should be good since the motor was rebuilt 3000 miles ago. So i dont think ill need these things
You have to get the old cam out and the new one in....you need them. This is also a good time to do a one piece oil pan gasket, and a two piece timing chain cover.
1. The oil pan gasket is going to need to be replaced anyway...atleast the front piece if a 3 piece gasket.
2. The timing chain is coming out you are swaping the cam, the timing chain is coming off...I have a brand new double roller Ill bring it just in case you end up needing it.

Last edited by B4C; 03-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
Bcozzi71

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zinc-...#ht_1115wt_738

found that
Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #20
B4C

I actually might have a bottle let me go check...if not autozone sells it
I dont must have gone into the mustang...if I remember correctly it was only like $8 at the zone

Last edited by B4C; 03-09-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #21
Bcozzi71

well ill buy that when i buy that oil and coolant then...

so you said the 18th was good for you?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #22
B4C

monday wed or thursday im free all day (im an didot and forgot about spring break) Ill probably bring wolfblitz along too if he's free...try to get someone else that knows how to do the cam cuz like I said ive only done OHC's on fords Ive yet to do a chevy cam not saying I cant w/ directions would just be easier with someone whos dont it before. Whats your tool set look like? Well equiped or am I going to need to bring things...pm me for my phone number

Last edited by B4C; 03-09-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #23
Bcozzi71

Pm sent.........Im free weds too and thurs i guess if we cant get it all done.

Anyone who has done a cam change free on weds or thurs?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #24
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I don't know if someone mentioned it yet, but having a pair of bolts to screw into the cam helps a lot when you are removing it and re installing one. You do not wanna drop it down hard on the bearings or try to pull it out when its caught on one.

Not sure the size, I just had a few bolts laying around in my garage.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #25
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
I don't know if someone mentioned it yet, but having a pair of bolts to screw into the cam helps a lot when you are removing it and re installing one. You do not wanna drop it down hard on the bearings or try to pull it out when its caught on one.

Not sure the size, I just had a few bolts laying around in my garage.
5/16 -18. Get some long ones and it will act like a cam handle.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey