Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Mulletbird

Wiring novice asking some Q's

So, does anyone here have a good idea of what proper wiring is for this car? Right now, the wiring is an absolute nightmare, I think the relays and everything from the switch controls in the car itself works, but idk about after.

It has 12 (count 'em, 12) 22-gauge wires running from the starter relay to the starter itself. This guy used nothing but 00-gauge and 22-gauge, which leads me to believe he had a lifetime supply of both, no other proper explanation. So, what gauge wire SHOULD be used for the starter? Obviously the old one is the wrong gauge, the shielding has evaporated or melted off. Really, an absolute nightmare. And I'm not the best at wiring, nor do I have the budget to go into a Pontiac/Buick/GMC/Chevy dealer and buy a new set of wires off of them (who does?) So, I'm looking to hopefully go to Home Depot, get some similar wire, and wire it on my own.

Here's what happened:

Got in the car, turned the key to ACC, and all my lights came on in the dash (okay, the tach and other autometer gauge lights ... factory gauges are all junk). I pumped the gas pedal twice, to get a little fuel in there (she starts lean, then goes rich... whole 'nother problem altogether) and then I turn the key to start. NOTHING. Not even a solenoid click, and then all the lights go out. (this was after 2 days on 2-amp charge, then I removed the charger, put on the jumpers from my turbo-diesel chevy, and tried jumping it)

I concluded it was not for a lack of battery (which it turns out was bad anyways) or alternator. After all, it would start on the truck's dual 1180-amp batteries regardless! I then got out, walked around, and to my surprise the jumper cables were now arc-welded onto the battery terminals. Took a little wrenching back and forth, but I did finally get them off, and then put the car away for the following month until it warmed up enough for my taste (unheated garage FTL).

So, anyone know the right gauge wires to use for the starter and other "primary" systems? Also, anyone have any ideas of cheap (I'm on a college-student budget here) fuse boxes I can use? Not the factory under-the-dash one, but something for under the hood that I can just bolt in (maybe where the washer fluid tank is ... no need for that on a race car).

Thanks!

- JR / KC2UFP
2007 Mazda3s
Mulletbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

JR-

It would be in your best intrest to get a new harness in its entirity from a junkyard or something like that. You will not be able to get the correct wires from Home Depot (been there, tried that) and buying all of the correct wires a la carte will start to add up.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

what car is this for?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Mike
BadMod

87 firebird sbc swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I wasn't sure what vehicle it was. I might have a lot of a harness form an 85TA car

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Mulletbird

carb'd engine btw. If that changes anything.
2007 Mazda3s
Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

does the car still have emissions equipment? working computer? A/C or anything else? or is this a drag car? What all do you have to hook up?
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ View Post
does the car still have emissions equipment? working computer? A/C or anything else? or is this a drag car? What all do you have to hook up?
I'm gonna guess no computer since it's a carbed 389 sbc. I think the LG4 computer would have a hard time keeping up with that....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Mulletbird

Justin's right, no A/C, no computer (I gave that away for free actually...) and no emissions. It's a drag car only, maybe if I wind up back in Michigan I'll put it on the street, but their inspection is "Do you pay your taxes?"
2007 Mazda3s

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring