Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Lt1_8U

electric fan problem

okay, so today my car overheated and i found out that i was leaking coolant. I found out that the leak was coming from the upper hose on the radiator side. i got new clamps and a new hose but it still leaks. I let it cool down awhile and i started it and laid underneath it, it was fine for like 5 minutes but then the temp rose up and it started leaking. my fans never came on the hose only leaks when it hits a little before the red line which is 260 i believe.

anyone know why my fans would not turn on?
Lt1_8U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

what car?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
Lt1_8U

oh sorry lol, my 96 trans am
Old 12-26-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

is it all factory, no modifications?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Lt1_8U

it has a slp intake, and a borla cat-back.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

lol I meant mods to the fan, so no. Good.

Lemme find the fan diagrams, not sure if that car has 2 or 3 relays. IIRC the ECM turns the fans on. Did you check fuses? Did you try turning on the AC and see if the fans kick on?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Lt1_8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
lol I meant mods to the fan, so no. Good.

Lemme find the fan diagrams, not sure if that car has 2 or 3 relays. IIRC the ECM turns the fans on. Did you check fuses? Did you try turning on the AC and see if the fans kick on?
i changed one fuse
and that didnt do it. i will go out and change the others now, if that doesnt do it i'll turn the A/C on. i'll post back in a little bit

Last edited by Lt1_8U; 12-26-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Lt1_8U

i tried it again, the fans didnt turn on when i put the A/C on and i changed the fuses and still nothing. on the inside of the fuse box in the engine bay it says which relays are the cooling fans, there are 3. tomorrow i guess i will buy 3 relays?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
SRGN

See if you have power/ground at the fan when it's supposed to be on before you start throwing parts at it.

73 Camaro 25.3 build TT LS in progress
67 Camaro
99 T/A
Other crap not worth mentioning

SRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah if your temp gauge on the cluster is above half, your fans deff should be on. you could try jumping it with a power lead from the battery or switching it with a known working relay. this could be many different things so please don't chuck parts at it, for the sake of your wallet!!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Lt1_8U

i just woke up now so i'll check the power and ground and i will post whats going on....thanks a lot guys
Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Be very careful trying to jump the fans! They are turned on by the ECM grounding the circuit! If you add power or feed power back into the grounded side you can fry parts, even the ECM!

There is also a way to ground the relays (manual fan switch mod), but I'm not 100% sure on the 96-97 wiring as its different them my 93. So I can't tell you the proper way.

The two fans work independent. Fan1 (primary) comes on at 221 degrees, fan 2 @ 235 degrees. Both fans are controlled thru the ECM. I think on the 96-97s each fan has its own relay, I believe the 3rd is the AC fan on relay.

The most common type of failure is with the sensor that gives the temp to the ECM. It is located in the front of the water pump housing on the right side down below the small inlet (It is a bit of a PITA to get to.). The dash gauge is operated off a completely different circuit and by the sensor in the driver's side head. So the reading on your dash does not mean the ECM has the same temp reading, since neither fan is working its most likely not a relay, I'd lean more towards the sensor.

Couple things you can try before buying parts:

1) There should be two fuses and relays in the box under the hood. The relay for the fog lamps is the same as the fans, try swapping that, see if the lights still work, or a fan comes on.

2) The ECM uses the coolant temp for fuel tables. If you noticed the car is running very rich, that might be another reason to look at the sensor as to why you're having this issue.

All else fails, have someone with a scanner see if the ECM coolant temp matches or at least is close to what the gauge on your dash is reading.

3) Never tried this myself on an OBDII car? So maybe someone else with a 96-97 could do it and verify it works??? With the key on, but the engine not running jump the #5+6 pins on the ADL, this should put the ECM is FTM ( Field test mode - form of Limp Home Mode), causing the check engine light to come on and the fans should come on. If the fans do come on, it's probably the sensor. If they don't them you may have a bigger issue. Time to break out a volt meter and testing wires from the ECM to the relays.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 12-29-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Speeling, what else!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Lt1_8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Be very careful trying to jump the fans! They are turned on by the ECM grounding the circuit! If you add power or feed power back into the grounded side you can fry parts, even the ECM!

There is also a way to ground the relays (manual fan switch mod), but I'm not 100% sure on the 96-97 wiring as its different them my 93. So I can't tell you the proper way.

The two fans work independent. Fan1 (primary) comes on at 221 degrees, fan 2 @ 235 degrees. Both fans are controlled thru the ECM. I think on the 96-97s each fan has its own relay, I believe the 3rd is the AC fan on relay.

The most common type of failure is with the sensor that gives the temp to the ECM. It is located in the front of the water pump housing on the right side down below the small inlet (It is a bit of a PITA to get to.). The dash gauge is operated off a completely different circuit and by the sensor in the driver's side head. So the reading on your dash does not mean the ECM has the same temp reading, since neither fan is working its most likely not a relay, I'd lean more towards the sensor.

Couple things you can try before buying parts:

1) There should be two fuses and relays in the box under the hood. The relay for the fog lamps is the same as the fans, try swapping that, see if the lights still work, or a fan comes on.

2) The ECM uses the coolant temp for fuel tables. If you noticed the car is running very rich, that might be another reason to look at the sensor as to why you're having this issue.

All else fails, have someone with a scanner see if the ECM coolant temp matches or at least is close to what the gauge on your dash is reading.

3) Never tried this myself on an OBDII car? So maybe someone else with a 96-97 could do it and verify it works??? With the key on, but the engine not running jump the #5+6 pins on the ADL, this should put the ECM is FTM ( Field test mode - form of Limp Home Mode), causing the check engine light to come on and the fans should come on. If the fans do come on, it's probably the sensor. If they don't them you may have a bigger issue. Time to break out a volt meter and testing wires from the ECM to the relays.

thank you for the info! lol. i changed the fuses and i switched relays and still nothing. The A/C fan wont even turn on. i guess the next thing would be to get a new sensor.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah pampered is right. i don't know why i said jump i meant test light to battery. if they don't work with a/c its not going to be the coolant sensor. turning the ac on is basically a switch to turn a fan on. if you have a test light, i would check to see if you are getting power at the fuses and the fan with ac on.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
Lt1_8U

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
yeah pampered is right. i don't know why i said jump i meant test light to battery. if they don't work with a/c its not going to be the coolant sensor. turning the ac on is basically a switch to turn a fan on. if you have a test light, i would check to see if you are getting power at the fuses and the fan with ac on.
i just checked them, im getting power at the fuses but then when i check the wires, i have no power... and yes i checked my ground to the test light

i also found a little black box....

it branches off of the wires from the fuse and relay box. its pretty flat and one the one side it say GUIDE What the hell is it! haha
Old 12-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

you had ac on when you checked the fan?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
Lt1_8U

Quote:
you had ac on when you checked the fan?
yepp
Old 12-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I'm striking out finding proper 96 V8 firebird wiring diagrams for the fan circuits. These are from the AutoZone site. It looks like a standard relay pinout. If so, I'd guess this….

With the key in 'run' for each fan:

Assuming 5&2 is the trigger circuit, one of 5&2 should be the ECM lead (ECM supplies ground when required), with the other being hot. Test for hot. You should be able to ground the trigger (ECM) side down to trigger the relay.

Assuming 1&4 is the power circuit, one should be hot and the other goes to the fan. You could jump this circuit to start the fan. These wires will be bigger gauge than the trigger circuits.

Any lt1 guys verify this?

This shows the trigger leads from the ECM as dark green and dark blue
http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/z...52800b882b.gif

If you have power at the relays and the relays are good and the fans turn on, your issue is ECM related (ECM, wires, sensors).

Best fan diagram I can find is 99 5.7L. ECM colors look to be the same:

Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #19
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Novaguy View Post
i just checked them, im getting power at the fuses but then when i check the wires, i have no power... and yes i checked my ground to the test light

i also found a little black box....

it branches off of the wires from the fuse and relay box. its pretty flat and one the one side it say GUIDE What the hell is it! haha
that is a relay (or something like that0 for the pop up headlight motors

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #20
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
yeah if your temp gauge on the cluster is above half, your fans deff should be on.
Ours never did, and always went way up in traffic. IIRC, stock fans come on @ 210 or 220. No issues here since the 160 thermo + Hypertech tuned for fans to come on at 180.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Lt1_8U

well i got my fans to work but heres a major problem.

my cars runs like crap, when i start it up i have to give it gas and then its very rough. eventually it smooths out but it still is running weird. the temp goes up very quickly and gets to the red line limit(even with the fan on) What doesnt make sense is i put the heat on when its supposedly 210 and it blows cold air wtf if up with my car!?

I might just take it to a place if no one knows whats going on
Old 01-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
BonzoHansen
Admin.

did it run like crap prior to you getting the fans to work? how did you do that?

You sure you have a filled coolant system?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

air pocket in the cooling system? try bleeding it? don't think it would make it run rough. coolant is topped off right? how does the oil look?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #24
Lt1_8U

i grounded the wire off of the fan sensor on the water pump, it ran like crap so took off the grounded wire. still ran like crap but my fans stayed on without it being grounded.

system is full but i have a leak now in the rad so i need to buy a new one.

engine oil is full, although it needs to be changed
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #25
Lt1_8U

could it be my sensor thats throwing my car off and making it run like crap?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring