Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

View Poll Results: Should T keep the police strobes on my car?
HELL YEA sound like fun 1 33.33%
Are you smoking something ditch them 1 33.33%
Keep them if your just going to use them for show 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Firebird92

need some help on my new project

Ok, I don’t know if anyone has ever tried this or knows of how to do this but here goes.
I’m about to put a good size sound system in my firebird (v6 3.1 92) I got a 140 amp alternator and new battery, now we tested the system with capacitor and it was just sucking the life from my battery so, I hooked up my older battery in chain with the new one and all was fine better then before, no dimming or pulsing of the headlights. So how do I put a second battery under the hood. I’m look at the space where my vapor can and air filter is just, relocate the vapor can and get a “cold/hot” air intake.

Now I also want to put in a 2nd stock rad fan but in front of the condenser and have it blow forward toward the engine to cool the car even more. I have had overheating problem with this car form, the relay blowing to the fan motor just quitting on me so an other one would help just in case. But the problem with that is that I don’t know how to space it so the fan don’t touch the condenser sense the fan overlay in the front

And I live in Union county if anyone would stop by and help that would be great.

Last edited by Firebird92; 06-07-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Firebird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Not sure how to wire up a second battery, or if that would be your best course of action, but don't install another fan in front of the radiator. It will end up doing more harm (blocking airflow) than good. The stock single electric fan should have no problem keeping the 2.8 cool, so if you are overheating, look for another cause (is the stock airdam installed under the car, fan working correctly, no crap built up on the front of / between the radiator and condenser, etc).

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Firebird92

well i replace the radiator and condenser some months ago and i change to a 180 thermostat change the temp senor and the relay it hasn't overheated since march so its just to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Firebird92

nothing a mmm still trying to hook up these batteries right but space is killing me, i don't want to put them in the back all under the hood
Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
NastyEllEssWon

NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

You may want to look into isolators, not sure if your system is that much of a draw, but if you isolate each battery instead of series, you won't lose your car if the battery(s) die.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

you should upgrade all of the wiring for the battery power lead, alternator power lead, and grounds.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
91chevywt

I think the first step would be upgrading your wiring in your charging system to handle the higher amperage output. Instead of using a newer batter and an older battery, have you thought about using a better battery? Something with a higher reserve capacity that won't drain so quickly. I know many use optima batteries. I've never had a need for one, but maybe you should do some research. What kind of battery are you running now? Also, what kind of system are you running so we have an idea of the load on your electrical system?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring