Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
coldkilla

Help me pick out axles

I'm finally getting around to building my rear end and I need to know what axles I should go with. I already have an Auburn 28 spline posi that I will be using so I need to know what type of axles to pair it with. The car is a 93 Formula that has 4 wheel disc and 3.23's stock. Do I have 3 or 4 channel ABS? I'd like to get the strongest axles available for a good price that let me keep the ABS. If anyone could throw out some brand names, part numbers, and places that have good prices, I'd appreciate it.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
V
Stalker

if you have an abs sensor on each wheel, its 4 channel, if you have just one abs sensor on the top of the rear housing, its a 3 channel.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

just stick to stock axles. spending a ton of extra cash for axles in a 7.5 is a waste, the axles are far from being the weak link.
get yourself a good cover, a stud kit, and weld the axle tubes to the housing. that is about all there is to do to make teh 7.5 as strong as it will get.
i hope you are planning to drop some good gears in that thing while it is apart, 3.23's= suxor

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
just stick to stock axles. spending a ton of extra cash for axles in a 7.5 is a waste, the axles are far from being the weak link.
get yourself a good cover, a stud kit, and weld the axle tubes to the housing. that is about all there is to do to make teh 7.5 as strong as it will get.
i hope you are planning to drop some good gears in that thing while it is apart, 3.23's= suxor
Stock is right. You don't need aftermarket axle shafts. And unless you know how to properly do so, don't bother trying to weld the axle tubes.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
coldkilla

Yeah, my overall plan was to beef up the ole 10 bolt until i really need a 12. I have the auburn posi, i was gonna get the t/a cover with 3.73's, a master rebuild kit, have someone weld the axle tubes, and some good axles. I dont mind spending a little bit on aftermarket axles, like 200-300. I just dont wanna go through all that trouble and then twist an axle or whatever.

09 G8 GT: Vararam OTR ram air, American Racing long tube headers with x-pipe, Vector 93 ECM/TCM tune, Magnaflow axle backs, MSD ignition coils, Spohn rear trailing and toe link arms, poly differential and subframe bushings, 20 inch aftermarket Camaro rims, brake upgrades.
coldkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

the case in a 7.5 will distort and break the carrier/ring and pinion beofore it will ever try to twist and axle.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldkilla View Post
Yeah, my overall plan was to beef up the ole 10 bolt until i really need a 12. I have the auburn posi, i was gonna get the t/a cover with 3.73's, a master rebuild kit, have someone weld the axle tubes, and some good axles. I dont mind spending a little bit on aftermarket axles, like 200-300. I just dont wanna go through all that trouble and then twist an axle or whatever.
IMO, building up a 7.5" rear is like building up a 305 motor. Fundamentally flawed for high performance applications.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

there are plenty of cars around that are in the mid to low 10's on a 7.5 at full weight. it won't last forever, but it is certainly much mroe economical than a $2000 12bolt or 9inch to replace it.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline