Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Dante1987

Question (?) JASPER REBUILD. need help.

ok so i have a jasper rebuild tranni. i am not the purchaser of this. but i have been haveing the same problem over and over agian... i thought it was the presure plate. i reciently bought a stage 2 clutch without buying a newer pressure plate or grinding my flywheel... yea im a dumbas$. well anyways it worked fine for a while... then i woke up. what is happening is the (refered to haynes manual) is my hydrolic clutch plate.. some fancy thing that automatically ajusts to a wearing clutch rather then a manual ajustment. ok awsome something nice... however it says i am supposed to "reset" this thing... ok well i didnt and now when i press the clutch down to the floor... it is only going about half way.... how do i ajust this thing. im not stupid or a noob just still learning. the engine is from a 1985 corvette. the L98 350. and the tranni is a 5spd... possibly a T5 not sure. this is my biggest headache and almost traded this thing for a jeep.... nooo .

1985 Camaro Iroc-z28 swapped suburban 350 carburated mostly stock for now...
www.myspace.com/importedmuscle
Dante1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante1987 View Post
ok so i have a jasper rebuild tranni. i am not the purchaser of this. but i have been haveing the same problem over and over agian... i thought it was the presure plate. i reciently bought a stage 2 clutch without buying a newer pressure plate or grinding my flywheel... yea im a dumbas$. well anyways it worked fine for a while... then i woke up. what is happening is the (refered to haynes manual) is my hydrolic clutch plate.. some fancy thing that automatically ajusts to a wearing clutch rather then a manual ajustment. ok awsome something nice... however it says i am supposed to "reset" this thing... ok well i didnt and now when i press the clutch down to the floor... it is only going about half way.... how do i ajust this thing. im not stupid or a noob just still learning. the engine is from a 1985 corvette. the L98 350. and the tranni is a 5spd... possibly a T5 not sure. this is my biggest headache and almost traded this thing for a jeep.... nooo .
if the clutch has a master cylinder and a slave cylinder its one way to fix if its a mechanical operated clutch than its another - do you know what you have in the car ?????? --- jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Dante1987

yes it has a master and a slave cylinder and i replaced both... serviced them so it was done "correct". i did a lil more reading and they manual said the clutch release cylinder will be damaged if u press the clutch and ooops i did. so... but my dad says mine is the slave cylander not a clutch release cylander. thanks

1985 Camaro Iroc-z28 swapped suburban 350 carburated mostly stock for now...
www.myspace.com/importedmuscle
Dante1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Could be the slave, or if you just serviced it maybe it's still full of air? But if the peddle is only going 1/2 way down and the clutch isn't releasing you have other problems. Could be that you don't have the slave properly engaused into the release fork? Maybe throwout bearing is hanging up or maybe the clutch fork is bent/broken.

Also sounds like you and your dad are just calling the same part different names. The Master unit mounts under the dash, the slave to the trans. Normally when they go bad they go to the floor and the clutch doesn't release. If you depress the clutch with the slave not installed in the trans the pressure will force the rod out of the end of the cylinder, damaging the case or seals. You can pull the slave out and have someone SLOWLY and GENTLY push in the clutch slightly to see if it's working. BUT BE CAREFULL!
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
johnjzjz

now this is a little out their BUT if the slave has the correct mounting and the incorrect bore size it will travel too little or to much/far if its depressed by the clutch master < reason is we had it happen on one of my trucks -- not saying its your problem but the car and the truck slaves mounted the same one had a 5/8 bore and the other had a 11/16 bore and the trans ended up out twice before they asked me == jz
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline