Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
transmaro93

Bellhousing to Scatter shield questions...

Ok, ill try and keep this simple trying to figure out my best route. Scrapping the stock aluminum housing for a quicktime scatter sheild. When i match the two up with the "block saver" in place on a level work bench, the new scatter sheild sits about 3/16 inch taller than the stock peice. this tells me that the pilot bearing is going to be 3/16 less engaged with the input shaft. Is this a big deal? If I take the plate out its about a 1/16 inch taller which i dondt see a problem with. But if i leave that place out then half of my fly wheel will be exposed and most of the starter gear and all that stuff. I cant use the stock flywheel block off plate with this housing. What do you guys think my best route is with this? I dont daily drive the car its just i worry about water and grime and road debris gettting up in the clutch with no plate there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks any other questions just ask
Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Have you tried a google search?
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
transmaro93

yea there isnt alot of people running these on lt1's at all... all i found is one guy that left the block plate off... i test fit it under there and there is really only a small part of the flywheel exposed cause the oilpan is so big haha... im still gonna have trouble getting the bolts in but ill do it one way or another. still open to any advice. If the clutch does explode ill be happy to just save my legs im not to worried about it going into the engine btw if that changes anything
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Honestly, I would call Quicktime and ask them about it. The main concern is your legs so if only a small portion of the flywheel is exposed without the piece you are talking about, I wouldn't worry about it since you don't drive the car all the time. I would prefer proper depth of the pilot bearing/input shaft than over a bit more safety. You certainly don't need a trashed trans again due to a pilot bearing failure.

Just my inexperienced $.02.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

FWIW, this is regarding the LS1 unit:

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...k-Time-RM-6023

I'd call them before continuing. Maybe the can recommend an extended pilot bushing for you.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Its not just your legs that the block plate protects, its purpose it to contain the explosion. By that I mean it will keep you from running over debris, the guy in the other lane from running over debris or having stuff shoot out and bounce across the track etc, etc. It's not just your motor it protects. Don't skip the block plate, give their tech line a call and find out the solution. If they don't have one, then send it back and get a unit that will install properly.

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline