Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
Knipps

Woot Sells Out!

Woot is now owned by yahoo

http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.a...ogEntryId=2892

Quote:
Over the next 24 hours, loyal wooter, you’re going to hear a lot of nasty rumors about Woot getting into bed with a big corporation. We’re here to tell you that they’re all true. We’d hoped to announce the grand opening of Halliburton.Woot tonight, but our security clearances were revoked (long story). So we turned away from the dark side and found one of the good guys to work with. Beginning at midnight CDT tonight, Woot and Yahoo! will be partners in a new venture we’re calling Sellout.Woot. (We’d link to the front page right now, but we can’t, exactly. More on that in a minute.) If you need a light for your cigar, you can use one of our new hundred-dollar bills.

Yes, it’s the same Yahoo! you’re thinking of. They came to Woot with the idea that we could spruce up Yahoo! Shopping by offering an exclusive daily deal through them. Fortunately for us, they also wheeled up a barrowful of sweet, metaphorical cash, in the form of access to their gigunda audience of shoppers who’ve never met Woot. Far be it from us to pass up an opportunity to synergize! We’re, uh, idealistic that way. The upshot is that Sellout.Woot will offer a Woot-style daily deal that’s different from the one on Woot.com, seven days a week.

Of course, no catch, no cash, metaphorical or not. And the catch is, you can only reach Sellout.Woot through Yahoo! Shopping’s front page at shopping.yahoo.com (after we launch at midnight tonight, that is). It’s a pain, we know, but one of the benefits of sponsorship is that Yahoo! gets to lure you all through their front door. Like everything else in this experimental venture, that door might occasionally get stuck. Rest assured that any such mishaps won’t keep you from getting a Bag O’ Crap – we’re contractually obligated to keep our crap to ourselves.

Otherwise, this Yahoo! partnership gives us some room to experiment. We can push our product envelope, stretch our marketing muscles, and hook whole new demographic cohorts on the Woot narcotic. We can follow our mentally unstable muses without inflicting any pain on you guys (well, any more than usual, anyway). All the classic Woot identifying features – daily deals, bustling forums, obnoxious humor – will still be fully present and accounted for.

If you’re already a Woot member, your existing account works with Sellout.Woot, too. It should be fascinating to see how the battle-scarred, ultra-cynical Woot audience interacts with the Yahoo! Shopping crowd. We’re not sure if this mixture will turn out like chocolate and peanut butter, or ammonium nitrate and gasoline.

So there it is: snot-nosed little Woot holding hands with big button-down Yahoo!, as we skip together towards a shining new era in ecommerce. And it all starts at midnight tonight. See you at Yahoo! Shopping – we’ll be the goofballs over in the corner, giggling and counting our money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
r0nin89

The hell is woot?

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
The hell is woot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woot.com

Woot is an Internet retailer based in the Dallas suburb of Carrollton, Texas. It was founded by electronics wholesaler Matt Rutledge and debuted on July 12, 2004[2]. Woot was one of the early pioneers of the "One deal a day" business model on the internet. Woot offers one discounted product each day on its web site, woot.com. The product is available for 24 hours; it "expires" at midnight (US Central time) and is replaced by a different product for the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Well, I wouldn't say they completely sold out.....they just added a 4th dimension to their site that is only accessible through Yahoo! Shopping.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
jims69camaro

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
shane27

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
The hell is woot?
you my friend, have been missing quite a lot of good deals.

Previous Cars: 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (5spd), 1992 Mustang GT(auto), 1995 Hyundai accent(5spd)
Current Car: 2000 Honda Accord EX (5spd)
shane27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane27 View Post
you my friend, have been missing quite a lot of good deals.

though i've only ever bought one thing from them.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
band77one
15 Second Club

i always thought it was just a word from online games...like woot i won the item.. wow i feel so dumb lol
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by band77one View Post
i always thought it was just a word from online games...like woot i won the item.. wow i feel so dumb lol
That's where it originated.....woot.com came after video games.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge