Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
wretched73

Welding courses

I'm looking to take some welding classes. I can do some sloppy mig welding but i'd really like to hone my skill and learn how to also weld aluminum and other types of metals.

Right now Raritan Valley community college is looking like my best option. They offer two nights a week for the basic, then when i go into advanced i can do two nights a week or saturday mornings. Both run for one college semester, ~4 months. Only downside is its kinda a far drive.

I live in Monmouth Junction, 08852 and work in Monroe Twp, 08831.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places closer? I'd prefer saturday mornings if i have to drive anything more than ~40 minutes. But if its closer than 40 minutes i'd prefer doing a few nights a week.
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Stevoone

Are there any tech schools near you? I went to Burlington County Institute of Technology for high school and I know they offer adult classes one of which is welding.

http://www.bcit.cc/interestAE

Welding is listed under their "Certificate Programs" tab
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

east brunswick vo-tech offered a course when i looked into it, dont remember the details or if they still even offer it, but its close to you
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
wretched73

I didn't think about looking into a vo-tech. (I should have because the high school I went to had one attached to it.)

I'll look into those for sure. Thanks for the tips
1988 TRX 250R- Ported w/ high compression on 110 octane- Out 60' your LT1

Jersey Shore Street Car Takeover (JSSCT) Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
and once i get PHB, what do i ajust it too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Seven.
wretched73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
DaSkinnyGuy

Input I have heard from a welder, if you can TIG Aluminum you will have a good job anywhere that needs you.
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
r0nin89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy View Post
Input I have heard from a welder, if you can TIG Aluminum you will have a good job anywhere that needs you.
Pretty much. Given the proximity to the marine industry in the state the same goes for stainless. Loads of pole holders/railings to be repaired on very expensive boats.

Also TIG aluminum/stainless is the standard for getting into the car fabrication industry unless you're going to hinge yourself on being a chassis guy. I remember speaking with the owner of an evo/subaru custom shop just having a conversation of cars and such. Was telling him about how Ive done a lot of auto fab or rather had started getting more and more into (was quite a few years ago). The first thing he asked me was "Can you Tig aluminum and stainless?!" Like if I said yes he'd offered me a job on the spot. Sucked to say no that I do mostly chassis/suspension fab aka mild steel.

94 2wd SBSC Gmt400. 330CI LSX, Fast 102, Trickflow 205s, close ratio nv3500, 4.30/trutrac.
r0nin89 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge