Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 12-31-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
V
Stalker

shaved antenna install complate

I finally finshed the headunit and front speaker installation on my GF's Monte SS. Back when i was getting the body together, i replaced the pass. fender where the oem antenna is mounted. At that time i didnt even notice the new fender didnt have any holes cut for the antenna. I did realize it at one point but forgot again before it went to paint. The day it came back is when it finally hit me again, so i figured id just drill a hole on the rear 1/4 panel; and mount a power antenna back there. However, the more i thought about that, i realized it would look like crap. and with the shaved door handles already i didnt want more stuff on the body, so after some searching i found exactly what i needed. Dakota Digital makes an Internal am/fm antenna, it attaches to any glass inside the car,(at least 1.5-2" away from metal though) and plugs right into the radio antenna jack, and it then just has a 12+ wire that gets spliced into the radio acc power. I got the dakota digtal setup for my GF for her B-day, it was like $60(slightly more than a new power antenna setup) and I just wired that all up today. Inside my garage with all the crap around and the door closed, reception was great, better than I usually get with OE mast antennas(in my garage while doing radio installs)

So if anyone ever wanted to get rid of their ugly mast antenna, this is the way to do it. The dakota digital internal antenna is available from Summit Racing equipment. I'm gonna see which of my other vehicles now i'm gonna get one for. My next idea is to try to shave the side mirrors and replace them with sorta flushmount cameras and 4.5" lcd screens mounted right inside on the door where youd normally look for the mirrors anyway, but i just dont know how cops will like that change...we'll see
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Silent Z

Talking

Shaved mirror idea sounds sweet but expensive!

1994 Z-28, A4, T-Tops, Trick Flow/Lingenfelter CAI, Air Foil, Underdrive pullies, FlowMaster Cat back, LT4 Knock Module, MSD 8.5 wires, Cap & rotor, 6A box, Hyper-Tech 160 T-Stat, T/B bypass, Optima Red Top Batt. , And Meziere electric water pump!
Silent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Interesting... how much does this unit weight vs. the stock antenna?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Heh - I instantly thought of mentioning this to Craig. Then I remembered that he didn't have a radio.....

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

lol

I've been contemplating removing my antenna, but as much as radio sucks I still want to throw all my CDs out the window and hear something new every now and then

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Messiah
lol

I've been contemplating removing my antenna, but as much as radio sucks I still want to throw all my CDs out the window and hear something new every now and then
NEVER!!!! i hate the damn radio more then anything!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
V
Stalker

I would think this setup does weigh less than a conventional antenna. Here is a picture of the unit. You can see the size compared to the rear veiw mirror. other than this box, its just the wire that runs to the back of the radio, where one part goes into the antenna jack and a small power wire gets spliced into the +batt radio wire. sorry its blurry i should get a new dig camera some day.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:42 AM   #8
Teds89IROC

Awesome!! I'm still kicking myself for not doing it on the iroc when I did all the body work and repainted it

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance