Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
V
Stalker

Anyone ever had to make a/c lines?

I need custom lines, basically my stock lines are too short(about 8") and since I have changed the condenser, the fittings don't match up any more.

The new condenser is from Vintage Air and has #6 and #8 AN fittings.
stock lines have the bolt on blocks with the o-ring connections.

I was planning on calling vintage air and see what they say. I'm hoping I could just have the lines cut, and extended with the respective AN fittings on the end.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
The Fixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I need custom lines, basically my stock lines are too short(about 8") and since I have changed the condenser, the fittings don't match up any more.

The new condenser is from Vintage Air and has #6 and #8 AN fittings.
stock lines have the bolt on blocks with the o-ring connections.

I was planning on calling vintage air and see what they say. I'm hoping I could just have the lines cut, and extended with the respective AN fittings on the end.
When Dumont Auto Parts was open a long time ago, they were able to shorten an Fbody AC line for me. I think if you find a local place that can do hydraulic hoses they should be able to make them up. Dynamic Auto in Bergenfield bought them out, maybe give them a call and see if they can do them?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS View Post
When Dumont Auto Parts was open a long time ago, they were able to shorten an Fbody AC line for me. I think if you find a local place that can do hydraulic hoses they should be able to make them up. Dynamic Auto in Bergenfield bought them out, maybe give them a call and see if they can do them?
note hydraulic hoses and ac hoses use totally different crimps. make sure they do AC crimps. any Ac shop can do it, it's matter of finding one.

Paul you like to spend money, try aeroquip

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
V
Stalker

cost isn't a concern lol i know you gotta pay to play.

id use aeroquip if i can find out what it'll take.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Stevoone

I've had both A/C lines and hydraulic ( oil and p/s) hoses made by Burlington County Auto Parts. Check your local machine shops.

The last job I did we had to replace oil cooler hoses but they had been discontinued and were not available aftermarket. He was able to save the fittings and crimp in new sections of hose. They cost about 1/2 of what they would have if they were still available new and they turned out great.

Edit: If your talking about the hard a/c line, most GM dealerships have A/C line repair kits. If you could get ahold of some additional tubing it could be done that way also. I can get the tool number if you need it.

Last edited by Stevoone; 05-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
S.J.SLEEPER

Napa by me can make them
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
V
Stalker

I found out that I can disconnect the two lines, that way I can take them away or send them out to be modified. And apparently the drier is built in to the stock condenser...i guess that means I need to buy a new drier to run(only $30)....

the item at #9 is a clamp(pn 25728832) that holds 2 metal lines together, I just have no idea how to open it. Here's a pic...

Last edited by V; 05-08-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
S.J.SLEEPER

Why you need a new dryer? if you seal the system up from contaminents ull be fine.
South Jersey Racecraft
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
Why you need a new dryer? if you seal the system up from contaminents ull be fine.
well the old drier was built into the stock condenser. I have since went to the vintage air unit, so I have no drier at all now.
dont i need one?

Last edited by V; 05-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Stevoone

The descant bag can be removed from the condenser and replaced seperatly. The large Allen key on the bottom passenger side is where you remove it.

There is a special removal tool for the clips, I've also heard that you can use a pick style tool to release them. There are two small square holes on the side of the clip, press the release tool or pick into the holes and the clip should release.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
The descant bag can be removed from the condenser and replaced seperatly. The large Allen key on the bottom passenger side is where you remove it.
wait, now im getting confused. do u mean on the stock condenser or the new one?

Quote:
There is a special removal tool for the clips, I've also heard that you can use a pick style tool to release them. There are two small square holes on the side of the clip, press the release tool or pick into the holes and the clip should release.
awesome, thats what i needed to know

Last edited by V; 05-08-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Featherburner

Any Napa worth their salt can make you any length with any end you need.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
S.J.SLEEPER

yes you need a dryer.
I guess easiest thing to do would be to pick up a fbody drier and lines, this way you can use the line ends and make new lines using those ends and buy a new fbody drier for $20.
or
universal drier & have place make lines w/correct fittings to incorporate dryer inline with system
South Jersey Racecraft

Last edited by S.J.SLEEPER; 05-08-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
V
Stalker

a vintage air standard drier is only 30bucks and seems to have #6AN connections. Therefore i should just need AN ends put on my current lines(8AN and 6AN). and get a short section of line with 6AN fittings on both sides to run between drier and condenser.

i found a local nap that on the napa website is said to specialize in hydraulic hoses, hopefully they do a/c lines too.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
S.J.SLEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
a vintage air standard drier is only 30bucks and seems to have #6AN connections. Therefore i should just need AN ends put on my current lines(8AN and 6AN). and get a short section of line with 6AN fittings on both sides to run between drier and condenser.

i found a local nap that on the napa website is said to specialize in hydraulic hoses, hopefully they do a/c lines too.
That will work great. Most Napas can do it cuz their hydraulic machine usually can. If all Napas use the same machine, then they can do it cuz one by me did mine.
South Jersey Racecraft
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
Stevoone

I missed where you said you had replaced it with a Vintage Air unit. The factory dryer location is on the side of the condenser.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
V
Stalker

Update: ...just over a year later, I still have not dealt with this.

However, tonight I did finally find a place that makes custom hoses AND has that quick disconnect fitting available. The one hose will cost about $25.
The longer hose would cost me about $30 only.
Also gotta order an aftermarket drier from Vintage Air for $30.

Tomorrow, I have to make some final measurements and then I'll order the hoses. I am excited, lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
z28camaro94
13 sec club

The Napa In Williamstown, NJ makes AC hoses. They may or may not have the correct ends and fittings. But its at least worth a call. If you want. Ask for Fred 856-728-3200, Tell him CJay from JC Millers told you to call.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech