Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > Wanted To Buy - Automotive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Adam1978

Smile late 2nd gen parts needed

hey everyone, im trying to restore my 1978 'maro, it was put on hold for a while because i lost my job, but i just got another one and start next week so i can finally start fixing her up again! i was wondering if anyone has any parts laying around for a 78-81?

okay, i need:
-tail light lenses
-Driver side door (or at least door handle)
-upper and lower dash
-looking for a posi rear
-rear window louvers
-z28 hood scoop
-z28 fender louvers
-4bbl carb in good shape
-front rotor/hub assembly
-black z28 wheels
-t-top roof
-t-top glass
-trunk lid
-a/c system
-pass seat
-floor pan
that is all that i can think of off the top of my head, but honestly if you have anything let me know because im sure there are things that i have forgotten about. thank you!

Last edited by Adam1978; 01-17-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
mc73nova

Ill go through my brothers things to see if and what he might be selling off of his '78. I know he is gonna list his hood but if you are looking to go with the Z28 look it wont work. Its a fiberglass cowl induction bolt on hood, not sure of the brand I will have to check, I believe its a 3". I think he has the posi out of it as well.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Adam1978

very nice, and yeah im not much of a cowl fan, im more of a scoop guy, but sounds great! thank you
Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
B4C

I know a junkyard where you can get all of this...unfortunatly they are no longer open. Try nastyz28.com you will have better luck there.

Last edited by B4C; 01-17-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Adam1978

no longer open as they shut down? or no longer open as in they are closed today lol and okay i will
Old 01-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
B4C

Shut down camaro and firebird only junkyard right around the corner from my house had a lot of late 2nd gens in various condition. He had over 200 f-bodies, he passed last year and I dont think that his kids took over. I can drive overe there and check, but last I heard it was closed. I have some traction bars and hotchkis rear swaybar for 2nd gen if you need them. I had the hood scoop and z wheels but I sold them. I do have a decent rochester 4-bbrl and proabaly have an intake laying around.

Last edited by B4C; 01-17-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1978 View Post
lol okay, i need:
-tail light lenses
-Driver side door (or at least door handle) (Inner or outer handle? Both easy to buy new. Is that all you need? Are the hinges beat?)
-upper and lower dash Lower dash? (upper dash pads are a new part, rare is the good used-I never saw one).
-looking for a posi rear (what is in the car now? what gear ratio do you want?)
-rear window louvers (good luck, but this a bottom of the list item based on what you've described about your car. also what kind I've seen different designs)
-z28 hood scoop (what style -78-79 or 80-81?)
-z28 fender louvers (do you have a Z now? Do your fenders have holes?)
-4bbl carb in good shape (what kind?)
-front rotor/hub assembly (new like $30).
-black z28 wheels (watch craigs list, they run ~$400-600 a set depending on condition and parts)
-t-top roof what kind, there are some variations. do you have tops now?
-t-top glass
-trunk lid (watch craigslist and nastyz28.com)
-a/c system (All of it? Is it an AC car now?)
-pass seat (really? is it damaged or just a bad cover?)
-floor pan
that is all that i can think of off the top of my head, but honestly if you have anything let me know because im sure there are things that i have forgotten about. thank you!
See above. I'm not busting your balls. You have to zero in on what you need or you are going to spend$$ you don't seem to have on stuff you do not need.

Come to next week's meet and we can help you with this stuff.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Adam1978

my rochester 4bbl is okay, but i think the linkage is all sorts of messed up, i rebuilt it but still, and i'll have to check my sway bars, i know i need the entire suspension, ALOT of body roll when taking turns lol and it would be great if you could see if that place is still around, it would be a god send if it is lol
Old 01-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
91chevywt

I'm not sure where youre at, but Blacey's used auto parts on Rt 537 had an '81 I believe. Most of the body had some rust on it, but I remember the driver's side fender being decent because I was going to take it. Also the interior for the most part was shot but there were some good parts. It would be worth it to give them a call and see if they have anything you want. Its a u-pull-it by the way.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Adam1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
See above. I'm not busting your balls. You have to zero in on what you need or you are going to spend$$ you don't seem to have on stuff you do not need.

Come to next week's meet and we can help you with this stuff.
-tail light lenses
-Driver side door (or at least door handle) (Inner or outer handle? Both easy to buy new. Is that all you need? Are the hinges beat?) the door does sag a bit, and the outer door handle doesnt work at all, the inner part is starting to give way as well, and the door has crowbar bends in it from when someone tried to steal it
-upper and lower dash Lower dash? (upper dash pads are a new part, rare is the good used-I never saw one).yeah i kind of figured, they just seem to be more expensive than i thought lol
-looking for a posi rear (what is in the car now? what gear ratio do you want?) right now it only makes a 1 tire fire, if u spin one tire the other moves the other way when jacked up, not sure of the ratio i'll check the VIN when its nice out, and idk much about good ratios i was hoping someone could help me with that
-rear window louvers (good luck, but this a bottom of the list item based on what you've described about your car. also what kind I've seen different designs) yeah this was in no real order, and i didnt know they made different kinds
-z28 hood scoop (what style -78-79 or 80-81?) 78-79 if you can
-z28 fender louvers (do you have a Z now? Do your fenders have holes?) no, i dont have a Z, it used to be a 305 auto, but has a T-10 and 350 in it now, trying to make a Z clone
-4bbl carb in good shape (what kind?) dont know much about them, i got my rochester rebuilt but the linkage and choke seem to be really fussy, i would like an Edelbrock or Holly, although if someone has a rochester or something like new i'll consider it
-front rotor/hub assembly (new like $30). they are 50 at advanced auto each, im trying to cut as much costs as i can being 19
-black z28 wheels (watch craigs list, they run ~$400-600 a set depending on condition and parts)
-t-top roof what kind, there are some variations. do you have tops now?) no i do not, this is very non-cruicial, i would love to give my car T-Tops someday, however i know it isnt that practical and i have bigger fish to fry
-t-top glass ^see above^
-trunk lid (watch craigslist and nastyz28.com) i just registered for nastyZ28, i didnt know such a thing existed lol
-a/c system (All of it? Is it an AC car now?) no, it is not, a black on black car in the summer is terrible without a/c
-pass seat (really? is it damaged or just a bad cover?)its damaged, the seat sits crooked for some reason, has a little trouble on the rollers and doesnt always want to sit up for people in the back seat.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Adam1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91chevywt View Post
I'm not sure where youre at, but Blacey's used auto parts on Rt 537 had an '81 I believe. Most of the body had some rust on it, but I remember the driver's side fender being decent because I was going to take it. Also the interior for the most part was shot but there were some good parts. It would be worth it to give them a call and see if they have anything you want. Its a u-pull-it by the way.
anything cheap is worth it as long as its less than 2 hours away lol, i'll give them a call tomorrow during the day, thank you
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

*The door has crowbar damage? Yikes. That should not be too bad to find. You need to get a hinge rebuild kit too.

*There is an NOS (as in new old stock, original GM part in the box) on NastyZ for sale right now for $1000. How’s that, lol

*VIN will not show axle ratio. You can try to find the code on the axle tuber. Or pull he cover off & look.
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro78.php

*you’ll need Z fenders too. 78 vents, scoop

*remember the intake is different from a q-jet vs a holly. (spread vs square bore). You might need an intake too if you go square bore

*if you can’t afford brakes, stop looking for the other stuff. Why can’t yours be resurfaced – why do you think you need new?

*to go t-tops you probably are bet off to change the whole roof section form a donor. The tops on these cars sucked good luck with that.

*to add AC to a non-ac car you need an aftermarket setup. You cannot put stock AC in it, firewalls are different. Budget $1000

*If covers don’t matter seats are not too hard to find. I threw a set away after not being able to give them away. Doors or trunk lids should be easy to find.

You drive this everyday and $$ is tight? Stop looking for everything and fix what you need to be safe & reliable then go from there. Been there, done that.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I just approved your membership at NastyZ.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Adam1978

lol i can afford the brakes, i have all new calipers and stuff on them, im just trying to save every dime for all of the other things i want to do to the car, they still stop the car, but have deep grooves cut into them bc the last owner drove them metal to metal for a while lol. i cant seem to find the listing on nastyZ28, could you shoot me a link please? and i didnt know they had different firewalls for AC, i though it was just a cover where it would have went =/ and yeah the covers dont matter on the seats for now, i would like black, but will take what i can get. oh and the door is almost impossible to find! i checked Craigslist and eBay, i can find doors easily, just none in the tri-state area lol i also am looking for a door with the internal workings, not so much the glass, but everything else.

Quote:
I just approved your membership at NastyZ.
yay thank you
Old 01-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
BonzoHansen
Admin.

A guy in edison has a lot of parts, 3slo5

If you come to the meet on Saturday I'll give you a set of rotors that should be ok. Need resurfacing but I think there is good metal on them.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #16
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

I've got a Holley 600 that could use a rebuild. $30. I'll include a squarebore to spreadbore adaptor plate. And if you want a set of weld-in subframe connectors I have a set for a 78 as well.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #17
Adam1978

Quote:
A guy in edison has a lot of parts, 3slo5

If you come to the meet on Saturday I'll give you a set of rotors that should be ok. Need resurfacing but I think there is good metal on them.
i could go 2 Edison for parts, and where and when is the meet Saturday? i thought i missed it lol, and that'll be great, my dad works for NJ transit and i can get them resurfaced at his machine shop for free =]
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #18
Adam1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I've got a Holley 600 that could use a rebuild. $30. I'll include a squarebore to spreadbore adaptor plate. And if you want a set of weld-in subframe connectors I have a set for a 78 as well.
i'll think about the holly, but the subframe conenctors sound good, i want to eventually get T-Tops so im going to really need those, how much?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
i could go 2 Edison for parts, and where and when is the meet Saturday? i thought i missed it lol, and that'll be great, my dad works for NJ transit and i can get them resurfaced at his machine shop for free =]
All official club meets are listed here: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
i'll think about the holly, but the subframe conenctors sound good, i want to eventually get T-Tops so im going to really need those, how much?
$50. Discountinued South Side Machine ones, brand new in box. They are weld ins that require no modification to your floor. The Competition Engineering weld ins do.
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > Wanted To Buy - Automotive