Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

ahhhhh little dry sumpish action sorta. i dig it.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #27
EODMonkey

i'm running/ was running one and theres a guy on here with a t/a that has one. love the sound and the rear mount as it is tricky to install doesnt have alot of additional drawbacks.
EODMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #28
GrandmasterCow
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
http://www.supermotors.net/articles/sts-a1-1.php

I mean, just looking at that... I can't see that being very hard at all to recreate.

Here's a HOW-TO: http://www.junkyardturbos.com/Rear-Mount-Turbo.php
1999 Trans Am WS6
2000 Trans Am WS6
GrandmasterCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #29
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Awesome link!
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #30
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
im considering doing a mild turbo addition to my SS. I'm not looking for maximum boost keep in mind, just a little more "umpf".

Of course the STS is the first consideration. pros? cons?

...also i see "kits" for front mount setups all on ebay, and i assume those are worthless.

Is fabbing up your own kit with truck manifolds possible? i kinda like my Stainless steel LT headers though. lol.

The STS kit is 3995... which i think is reasonable. Only upgrade i think id still need would be a racetronix fuel pump kit and tuning...

I put a 1000 miles on my Sts Turbo kit right off the bat and havent had any issues with the kit itself. I have the upgraded version with the intercooler and a 67 mm Turbo. Its set up for 500 rwhp due to not having forged my engine yet. TTP did a good job on that aspect to take there time and doing it correctly. Clearance issue was definately a big concern of mine especially since my Car is tipping the scales at 3966 with me in it. I also have a ground effects kit as well. STS Redesigned the set up which now hangs higher and features a dual exhaust set up as well and hides the air filter. I carefully selected new suspension components to protect my investment. I went with strano springs with KYB AGX adjustables which was spot on with the 1.2 ride height as stated. The Eibachs are garbage and have a drop rate of 2 inches in my case a little more. I also added rear air bags to the springs to ensure ride height especially if I have passengers. These air bags raise the car higher then stock if you want it to. One of the biggest reasons for getting my STS was the issue of heat. You have seen my paint job and its one of a kind. Not taking chances on anything melting, warping, catching fire, or blowing up in my engine bay damaging my hood and paint. I am happy with it and its fun to drive. Meet me at a show in April and will be happy to take you for a spin so you can feel it your self.
http://www.fquick.com/firebirdcrazy
firebirdcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
oh one ls1 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Here you go Paul. Scroll down after the page loads. I think it uses spacers and minor cutting to the cowl which really isn't too big of a deal.

MTI Racing magnacharger F-body

-
i want it! can any sponsors get these kits?
Charter Member of the Spin `Em Club
01 SS -sold and misssed-
06 R6 -sold and DEEPLY missed-
02 WS6 -time for your punishment-
08 R6 -
oh one ls1 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #32
noboundreez2345

X2 I definately just fell in love with that supercharger.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #33
BlackTopKing

I think the STS does have a alot of Pro's and aloth its said the turbo needs heat to spoll up- heat also robs power and I dont know if anyone has seena turbo over heat- but they get red and that type of heat in F-Body is too much, the motor is hot and so is the turbo...

The air filter issue- I have seen the vettes with a relocation kit- brining the unit inside- dont know if that helps, but i would say atleast a sheld of some kind and maybe a skid plate for the turbo,

But for the turbo to hit, if its tucked up right- seems odd, put new shocks and struts on...

i dont know I have seen them and think for the price the pro's are great and the cons can be delt with some thought.

for example- the leaks...weld the unit it up! i mean 2000.00+ investment for a 100.00 fit would only be simple.

I would love to get one but I more wonder about the tuning issue....

No one mention that yet- what PSi is it set at prior to tuning?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #34
mtg6486
12 Second Club

on a non intercooled car they will put in a 5psi spring in the waste gate. they can even go lower. i run a 7 but i also have an intercooler along with optional meth .
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #35
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

Here are some pictures of my set up. I think you can figure out by the pictures how much clearance you get!!. This turbo is capable of 750 Horsepower to the crank and can be set tp 15 psi. Not bad for th emoney. And leak issues as was said if done properly and welded in the right places it will never be an issue.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #36
BlackTopKing

FireBirdCrazy,

Wow Great pics....I didnt think it would hang so low and it looks like you got it tucked up there really tight...On the down pipe-are those scraps? road rash? lol, so you have touched there, huh.

I wounder if there would be a better route for the kit or maybe turbo location...?
Dont get me wrong I still love the deal and looks great (UR TA is Bad), but I guess it aint going any higher with the Tank still in the car.

MTG6486,
5psi with no intercooler? what would the increase be at that level? or even with your set up at 7psi?
Deff think the intercooler and meth is worth the added upgrade.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
mc73nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh one ls1 SS View Post
i want it! can any sponsors get these kits?
We can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcrazy View Post
Here are some pictures of my set up. I think you can figure out by the pictures how much clearance you get!!. This turbo is capable of 750 Horsepower to the crank and can be set tp 15 psi. Not bad for th emoney. And leak issues as was said if done properly and welded in the right places it will never be an issue.

I love it. Mike's T/A is sick too. If I ever got an LS1, I would love to get that kit. A lot of bang for the buck. Their TT set ups(not made for an f-body) are pretty crazy too.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
mc73nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #38
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTopKing View Post
FireBirdCrazy,

Wow Great pics....I didnt think it would hang so low and it looks like you got it tucked up there really tight...On the down pipe-are those scraps? road rash? lol, so you have touched there, huh.

I wounder if there would be a better route for the kit or maybe turbo location...?
Dont get me wrong I still love the deal and looks great (UR TA is Bad), but I guess it aint going any higher with the Tank still in the car.

MTG6486,
5psi with no intercooler? what would the increase be at that level? or even with your set up at 7psi?
Deff think the intercooler and meth is worth the added upgrade.

Those are actually my headers that have the scrapes. They hang lower then the charge pipes as you can see. The turbo is quite high actually off the ground. The lowest point measured by a ruler is 4 inches which is the pipes that tucks underneath the axle portion. How many sportcars on the road that are standard 4 inches from the ground out of the factory? Corvette Guys? So clearence really isnt to bad yes you still have to be careful. But if you keep your stock springs you dont have to worry much at all about clearence.

Last edited by firebirdcrazy; 02-13-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #39
Mike
BadMod

aj your car is lowered correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #40
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

Yeah I have a 1.2 drop with Strano Springs. I have a hook up at STS now if anyone has any interest
Old 03-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #41
EODMonkey

i'll be rejoining the ranks of sts users soon. had some problems with a piston ring and a rod bearing after my install. but my 383 stroker from scat should be in sometime next week and installed and tuned this summer. once i get home from this dirty rotten ***** hole (i'm sure your familiar with the 38SMB 28671 80650 area) she'll be out n about. its the 60-1 so it's only gonna put out 500 which i fully intend to peg. maybe i'll upgrade after i buy my jeep
EODMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning