Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
V
Stalker

dodge ram 4x4 question....

ok, i have a 96 Dodge ram 2500, cummins 5.9l diesel and automatic trans. Trans was rebuilt about 30k miles ago. Theres only about 70k on the whole truck.

However, its 2wd, open rear. You can imagine how much that sucks even in rain with the TQ of the diesel. anyways, a while back i thought about converting to 4wd. Well, with sale pending of my Denali, im considering the swap again. yes i know its a lot of work, but im positive i could handle it myself at home. I just need to find out if i buy the front axle, front suspension, front driveshaft, Transfer case, and rear DS, will it all bolt right up? a while back someone told me chevy 2wd and 4wd frame setups are different, and im wondering if dodge are like that too. and no, i will not sell the 96 and buy a 4x4, due to body condition of the 96, it aint worth anything to sell.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Stevoone

Unless your driving in 4 wheel all the time I can't see it making much of a difference. Would it be easier just to drop in a posi unit in the rear?
It sounds expensive but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.

Not sure if this will help but I saw it on Google , http://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119723
Stevoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

I would *think* the 2wd frame would be the same especially on a 2500. If I can, I will take some pics of the frame on my 97 2500 and we can look into it more.

**EDIT**
Check out www.dodgetalk.com

there is some good info there.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevoone View Post
Unless your driving in 4 wheel all the time I can't see it making much of a difference. Would it be easier just to drop in a posi unit in the rear?

keep in mind, i am stationed in upstate NY with very snowy winters, like we're talking feet, so i need a 4x4 or an awd vehicle if i sell off my denali.
Since i already have the dodge ram, it'd be cheaper to convert it, than buy something else, which i dont know the full history of. we've had the ram since new.

and just installing a posi wouldnt help me in the winters here.

and heres a pic of my dodge ram, only straight panels are the driver fender, and hood....

i'll check out both those links and see what i can find out. i figure used suspension parts would be cheap from people who upgrade to lift kit components.

Last edited by V; 08-08-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

what, you mean the sky wont be good in the snow?

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad64chevelle View Post
I would *think* the 2wd frame would be the same especially on a 2500. If I can, I will take some pics of the frame on my 97 2500 and we can look into it more.

**EDIT**
Check out www.dodgetalk.com

there is some good info there.
If ya need more pics I could send ya some of my 97 Dodge with the Cummins, but its a 5-speed so might not be a direct comparison.

I did a quick search on www.turbodieselregister.com and found some info. It might be easier to find a donor truck with a blown motor and swap your motor in. Anyway you will need the everything from the tranny mount forward, including T-case, overdrive housing, driveshafts, front axle, front suspension (yours is independent?) 4x4 is solid front axle with 4-bar, steering maybe? Reading on TDR, it seems like a pretty involved job and its not clear to me if the frame is different. They mention differences, but I not sure if its because of the diesel engine or the 4x4 chassis? I don't know if the suspension pick-up points would be present on your truck or not?

Like I said if you need pics of my trucks suspension, let me know.

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 08-08-2008 at 09:23 PM.
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #7
V
Stalker

yea, i dunno what im gonna do exactly. if i ca find a decent NICE beater for under 4k... i may leave the ram as is.... plus i kinda wont be here this winter as its looking
Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Slo86Bird
Banned

i have a 98 ram 2500 4x4 for sale. the rear is on its way out, been offroading 2 times that i know of and once since i owned. never really beat on and its good in snow.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34498
Slo86Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Thats going to be a lot of work. If you have the time, I'm sure you could do it. It'll be a lot of parts though so the cost might be high unless you can find everything in a junkyard or used. Another idea is to find an old beat up 4x4 that was used as a commercial truck. Ebay has a bunch of them The old used landscaper trucks usually sell for a lot less than the privately owned trucks because of the low options of the truck and the condition. It may be the cheapest to buy a used truck and swap your motor and body onto it. I'll ask around and see what I can find out.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
SteveR
I <3 sheep

like throw your body on this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...=1218514754764

the cost to convert yours would be more than to buy that truck and put your stuff on it. The good news is that the value of diesel trucks is at an extreme low right now, but gas prices are going down so the value of the trucks will be going up again very soon. I've been watching them for the last month as I'm looking for one myself and I think the time to move will be past within two weeks or so I'd say.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech