Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
iroc86NJ

3rd Gen Chassis Question

So. I've been building an 86 iroc for a few years now. Today my brother and I decided to take the project to the next level. We replaced nearly every body part that had bondo on it with undamaged stock sheet metal. A new fender, driver side door and front bumper skin.

It was after we completed all of these repairs that we noticed the driver side rocker panel was distorted. Starting about 8 inches from the front of the door to the center, the rocker panel is raised and rubs slightly on the bottom of the door. Upon closer inspection we found the pinch welded seam that connects the rocker to floor pan is distorted as well.

Does anyone know a way to repair this problem?

Thanks
iroc86NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
HardcoreZ28

If you have that kind of damage it's a good chance your unibody frame is bent or was previously bent and not repaired correctly. I'd either get a body manual and start taking measurements or have a qualified frame repair shop check it out for you.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
iroc86NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
If you have that kind of damage it's a good chance your unibody frame is bent or was previously bent and not repaired correctly. I'd either get a body manual and start taking measurements or have a qualified frame repair shop check it out for you.
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna take some measurements to make sure the car is square.

I've called around to a few local body shops with chassis machines and no one even wants to look at the car.....they say its a restoration job. Can you recommend a good chassis shop that isn't afraid of older cars?
iroc86NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
chrisfrom nj

my brother works at a body shop in hillside pm me if your intrested i will give you the number and adress to the place
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech