Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
The Fixer

H4 Bulbs - 60/55W Vs. 100/80W?

Hey all,
I recently upgraded the headlights on my Jeep to Rampage conversion housings that take an H4 bulb, and I also upgraded the wiring harness with heavier gauge wire and relays to run the headlights so I could take advantage of higher wattage bulbs. Now, does anyone think I'd get hassled if I ran the 100/80W bulbs over the standard 60/55W bulbs? I only ask because I'm not all that crazy about the bulbs that came with them, so I figure if I have to buy new ones, why not get the higher wattage ones?

Discuss. Thanks!

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

I would say the 100/80 is overkill and might blind other drivers too much. If you blind them they will hit you back with their brights and you both end up blinded. My 4Runner had the 60/55 and even that was pretty darn bright. I would start lower and only go up if you really think it's necessary. There are way too many cars/trucks on our roads with headlights that blind oncoming drivers.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

If the lights are aimed properly and the pattern is well controlled, no reason why a higher wattage lamp will be a problem. They will be bright but not more than a good HID system.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Steve, I would look into picking up a good set of 60/55 bulbs, rather than the typically junky bulbs that come with most of the H4 conversion housings. I've read lots of guys on JeepForum that have good luck with the Philips / Osram bulbs. If you want something a little more interesting, I have also heard some good things about the IPF Fatboy bulbs (but I think they are a bit overwattage). They have a ring that glows when you turn your lights off (green or blue), and seem to throw some pretty good light.

Post up some pics of the conversion, as well as some night shots to show your output.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
The Fixer

Hey Justin,
I wound up stopping by my local auto parts guy and asking him which H4s they liked, and he sold me a pair of 60/55w Wagner TruView bulbs. I said, "Are you sure I'll like these?" and he said he'd take them back if I wasn't impressed. So I dropped them in and they are amazing compared to the Phillips Long-life bulbs that came with the housings. Here's a pic of what the Rampage housings look like - very similar to a Jeep Liberty headlight, just rectangular, instead of round. These are also DOT approved, so I won't get hassled at inspection. I'll post a pic of the beam pattern tomorrow night hopefully.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring