Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Question

I just installed the QTP cutout switch they give you and i tapped into the cig lighter for power b/c its always hot. only thing is they put a small light in the switch and b/c its hot the light is always on, should i be worried about it draining my battery? i DD the car so it doesnt sit for more than 3 days at max
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
S.J.SLEEPER

i believe the light in the switch is only a l.e.d. they draw like nothing for amps or voltage. if you want to know for sure.
disconnect the power to switch
pull pos. off battery insert multimeter between bat & pos. wire
this will tell you voltage draw (amps or volts depends what you select)
then connect power to switch and repeat the process.
if less than .1/.2 amps you have nothing to worry about
you can have a 1/2 amp or better draw overnight and won't kill battery unless your battery is a piece of s**t
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

nope the battery is a little over a year old, i figured it was an led just dont want to wake up to a dead battery lol
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

Old 07-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
S.J.SLEEPER

no problem, figured i'd help u out. it is possible to pop the cig fuse if you have another power source running off it and you activate the cutout.
if you don't have a cd changer in the back, pull your left rear panel there is a changer harness there, you can use that pos. if you have an issue with the fuse poppin
Old 07-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
no problem, figured i'd help u out. it is possible to pop the cig fuse if you have another power source running off it and you activate the cutout.
if you don't have a cd changer in the back, pull your left rear panel there is a changer harness there, you can use that pos. if you have an issue with the fuse poppin
Oo good point arnt both those 12v outlets on the same circut? i only ever use like one at a time to charge my gps or phone

Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
S.J.SLEEPER

yes they are tied into same circuit at least they were on my 00ss.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i would go with the power supply for the driver seat. when are you going to be moving your seat and opening the cut out? i did notice the led thing but never checked the draw. should be ok though.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 07-19-2009 at 11:56 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
i would go with the power supply for the driver seat. when are you going to be moving your seat and opening the cut out? i did notice the led thing but never checked the draw. should be ok though.
problem is i dont have pwer seats or windows so i stuck wit the cig lighter which is fine for me

Old 07-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i would double check, should still have the same body harness in it. might be tucked under the carpet some but it is under the driver seat in the middle area between all the mounts. heavy orange and black wire.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring