Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
BlackTopKing

Re-Locate Climate Controls

Dont know if this is the right area for this question. So If so let me know and I will move it.

But I wanted to know if any one has done this and if so where did they move the unit to?

Just a thought to clear the area in the center console

Thanks in advance
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

The blend door is cable actuated, no?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
The blend door is cable actuated, no?
Yes, but IIRC from taking mine apart, there is a fair amount of slack in it. Not sure how far it could be moved without cable modifications.

There are also vacuum lines that will likely have to be lengthened depending on where it is moved.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
BlackTopKing

True,
I have seen 2nd gens and a couple 4gens-move then unit, i know the one 4th gen i found used a 10speed bike cable to move thiers, but i have not found or seen anything for a 3rd gen.

may just not be many options tho
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

use your imagination, you could put them anywhere. glove box would keep it low key.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTopKing View Post
True,
I have seen 2nd gens and a couple 4gens-move then unit, i know the one 4th gen i found used a 10speed bike cable to move thiers, but i have not found or seen anything for a 3rd gen.

may just not be many options tho
With the older cars I've seen it done with, I think most of them have had aftermarket HVAC. Vintage Air, etc.

I thin the hard part is the cable control. Maybe you're electrical genius and can figure a way to move it with a motor and then use different controls. It could be pretty cool.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
With the older cars I've seen it done with, I think most of them have had aftermarket HVAC. Vintage Air, etc.

I thin the hard part is the cable control. Maybe you're electrical genius and can figure a way to move it with a motor and then use different controls. It could be pretty cool.
That was my first thought. I wouldn't want to keep a cable actuated system if that means lengthening or making the cable loops tighter.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
use your imagination, you could put them anywhere. glove box would keep it low key.
nooo glove box in third gens!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
nooo glove box in third gens!
Correct ... but ... a long time ago, Classic Industries made aftermarket ones. Rare and near impossible to find, but they existed.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
BlackTopKing

wow, a glove box- that is crazy.
great picture tho-

ok so i am not a wiring genus, dont think so atleast, so i dont know how much of that direction i could do...

I kind of wanted them out of my way- that area in the console is jam packed- expecaily due to the head unit i have- thing has more options then my car came with and I would like to start up grading to those lil features.

I thought about raising the head unit up to the hvac area- and the hvac over and under the dash lip were the push buttons are. And install a monitor in the center console.

Sounds pointless except i thought it would clean everything up.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
BlackTopKing

Dash LayOut Concept

SO this is crude I know but should be enough to show the ideal.

Since the gauges, So now I have to come up with the mounting and lighting- I am happy that the gauges are lit and that I can just wire them in- but i do like the current LED lighting I mod to my dash already, with the blue lights. So i will make a peice to install the white LED and the blue LED in the space for the Autometer lighting. Giving me the option to swtich between the two colors.

But next is the lay out-and actual mounting. i saw the thread (http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/in...sh-guages.html)

which i like and think he did a great job on - that would be an option.
Or
I could get acrylic to fabricate, remove the stock section and mout instead-
Why - because it will allow me to do something different, and I can set up the lighting effect- with the arcylic i simple can paint- and black out what I dont want to light up.
Below is the ideal with the acrylic and the turn signal effect with a 3 bulb system i can set up a back light- for a constant glow. and set up front light for the turn signals- to attempt the interior flashers to show...well you get the ideal.

this could be used to do just about anything I can think of- just a bulb,-you can make arrows or even a halo effect around the gauges themselves....

1. with arrow effect w/4 gauge star
2.halo effect w/ 4 gauge star
3. halo effect w/4 gauge strieght
4. halo effect w/ 4 gauge strieght & special letteing effect ( can say or be anything) concept

so what do you think..
so far i probly will use the bird or make a halo....
Old 02-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

looks awesome
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

3 or 4. the 1st two look too asymmetrical or something. uneven.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #14
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Can you post I pic of your current set up /Dash? Really hard to just visulize the placement of stuff.

Maybe look at some late model cars that have the HVAC controlled electronically and adapt something into your system?

Looking at the pic of the car with the glovebox, there isn't allot of spaces to work with that allow you to put the controls in a place where you can still reach them? Might be a real pain build, but what about moving them into your console? Or what about moving the radio or controls up either under or into the center dash vents? Shouldn't be that hard to build a nice case to hold them.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
BlackTopKing

Ok, well this is a side by side pic of a 77 T/A and My 89 T/A (although my pic is a year old)

I also want to say- that I dont want to match the interior- there are just lil things that i will incorperate into mine and then of course add my own features.

Like features in the above post, the lay out of th gauges for example I do like better then the star or stack. - i just dont know if i will be able to put the 4 gauges across like its done in the second gen due to space. have not had a chance to measure yet. but will see...

Either way I will play off the gold features in the 2nd gen to fallow my theme in my car.

In my car, currently the head unit is in the stock location - so I have not done anything there...because of the center console-I need to either refab it or get a new one. Its not that bad-but not that great (mainly were the Head Unit is)

I did have the idea of trying to fiberglass one that would strech into the rear (NOS Mount)- but think that-that will or would be a later project.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring