Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 10-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #1
DieselKickYoAss4Sure

liquid nitrogen

aparently there is a company out in ohio somewhere that has discovered a process were they freez your crank, rods. pushrods. cam and block. In doing so the metal realines itself in such a configuration that it becomes slippery as if oild. Depending on your engine up to 100 horses can be gained as well as boat loads of torqe. the cost is relativly inexpensive and well worth it.The strength of the engine parts its actualy increased and many diesel engine companys such as Cat have been using this technology to there advantage. So am definatly going to send my engine out as soon as i start work on it, Hey its woth a shot.
1995 Pontiac bonneville daily
DieselKickYoAss4Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Re: liquid nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselKickYoAss4Sure
aparently there is a company out in ohio somewhere that has discovered a process were they freez your crank, rods. pushrods. cam and block. In doing so the metal realines itself in such a configuration that it becomes slippery as if oild. Depending on your engine up to 100 horses can be gained as well as boat loads of torqe. the cost is relativly inexpensive and well worth it.The strength of the engine parts its actualy increased and many diesel engine companys such as Cat have been using this technology to there advantage. So am definatly going to send my engine out as soon as i start work on it, Hey its woth a shot.
welcome into 2004 lol thats been around for a while now...ive known about it for a few years now...but am pretty sure its been around for a good while.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
SpeakersGoBoom

how much to do it? and what kinda gain could you get from a 305 TBI?
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
Injuneer

The benefits of cryogenic treatment include increased strength, reduced stress risers caused by manufacturuing processes, claimed resistance to abrasion, and a few other claims. I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that it makes the parts "slippery as if oild". The main advantages are increased strength and longer life. Popular treatment for brake rotors, since it can double their life in high temperature racing applications. Keith at ws6.com used cryogenic treatment to extend the life of his Baer cross-drilled rotors from 5,000 miles to 18,000 miles. If it made the parts "slippery as oild", it wouldn't be a good idea for a brake rotor.

If I recall correctly, pricing is "per pound", and the cost ranges from $1-$2/pound.

I don't see cryogenics adding any HP... and definitely not 100HP. Perhaps you could build a stronger engine, and make extra HP out of it with something like a little more nitrous, or bigger heads/cam, but the HP doesn't come from the cryogenic treatment, its the result of being able to make more power because the parts are stronger.

Here's one outfit friends of mine have used, and a quote from their webstire:

http://www.300below.com/site/home.html

Quote:
300 Below, Inc. is involved in the process of Deep Cryogenic Tempering and has developed an advanced, computer controlled processing system for reliably treating materials.

As our name implies, we treat engine components and parts at minus 300 degrees Fahrenheit to improve their properties. Computer technology allows us to regulate temperatures to 1/10th of a degree, accurately manipulating Cryo-treatment in accordance with the mass of your engine part.

Deep Cryogenic Tempering creates a significant increase in abrasive wear resistance and durability. The increases in tensile strength, toughness and stability may couple with the release of internal residual stresses. The end results are longer engine life, higher horsepower and less breakage.

The one-time, irreversible treatment improves the entire structure, not just the surface, giving your engine stability only found previously in seasoned engines. Decrease the movement and increase your engine's performance and life..

1994 Formula - 381ci / 300-shot N2O / TH400 / Gear Vendor OD / Strange 12-bolt 4.11 - 11.5@117 on straight motor
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #5
DieselKickYoAss4Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakersGoBoom
about 200 bucks 305 get a new engine if ure gonna pull it out but the gain would be like 10 to fifteen horspower. your engines your engines displacment isnt really great enough to give you huge gains
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
DieselKickYoAss4Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer
The benefits of cryogenic treatment include increased strength, reduced stress risers caused by manufacturuing processes, claimed resistance to abrasion, and a few other claims. I don't think I've ever seen anyone claim that it makes the parts "slippery as if oild". The main advantages are increased strength and longer life. Popular treatment for brake rotors, since it can double their life in high temperature racing applications. Keith at ws6.com used cryogenic treatment to extend the life of his Baer cross-drilled rotors from 5,000 miles to 18,000 miles. If it made the parts "slippery as oild", it wouldn't be a good idea for a brake rotor.

If I recall correctly, pricing is "per pound", and the cost ranges from $1-$2/pound.

I don't see cryogenics adding any HP... and definitely not 100HP. Perhaps you could build a stronger engine, and make extra HP out of it with something like a little more nitrous, or bigger heads/cam, but the HP doesn't come from the cryogenic treatment, its the result of being able to make more power because the parts are stronger.
now heres where i prove you completely wrong i go school for diesel mechanics. last year the teacher sent a 16 liter cat out to be processed before we dissasembled the engine we put it on the engine dyno we got the parts back and just recently put them back together and gained 75 horses and a masive amount of torq
when you notice the differece is when you put the pistons back into the cylinders they slide right in
Old 10-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselKickYoAss4Sure
Quote:
about 200 bucks 305 get a new engine if ure gonna pull it out but the gain would be like 10 to fifteen horspower. your engines your engines displacment isnt really great enough to give you huge gains
you no speaka engash too well.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:36 PM   #8
SpeakersGoBoom

how much gain do u think a 383 stroker would get?
SpeakersGoBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
j0n

Quote:
how much gain do u think a 383 stroker would get?
you arent so much gaining any horsepower by cryogenically freezing the inards of an inernal combustion gas engine...all you're doing is making said inards stronger and able to take more abuse longer...this would be a good process for an engine that is destined to be blown or sprayed or an engine with a large horsepower to cubic inch ratio...cryogenically freezing your internals is just one step up from forged internals
Old 10-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Injuneer

I'll stand by my statements. Based on my research, I doubt you are going to see more than 5HP. The top NASCAR and NHRA teams are using cryogenic treatment, but they are the guys that need to squeeze the last 5HP extra out of the fixed displacement and component weight limited class rules. They also use it for extended component life. The gains on dimensional stability and abrasion resistance are excellent. Not sure that I would extrapolate a single point 16L CAT diesel result, from an experiment with unknown control points, to a 6.3L gasoline-fired daily driver.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #11
HardcoreZ28

I agree with Injuneer. Cryogenically treating engine parts is mainly a durability factor. I highly doubt it causes them to be slick like they are oily either....once again the brake rotor example.

As for your diesel engine example youhave to take into account such things as brand new rings and bearings when it was reassembled. That alone would contribute the highest gain in HP and torque.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #12
Fasterthanyou

Ask any materials engineer at any college with a decent program and he'll give you the REAL DEAL. He can explain to you what happens when you freeze metal parts. When you quench metal parts special things happen. Just like when you heat up a metal part you anneal it, the results are a softer metal. Quenching metal changes its properties, that's basically what freezing it is doing, making it harder. Harder as in more rigid. Other things happen but in general, a rigid part doesn't flex as much resulting in less heat (energy) from internal friction. Ever bend a piece of metal until it breaks and notice that the break is rather warm... energy.... connecting rods, blocks, cranks, pistons, they all do the same thing. I can see how a more rigid assembly would save a couple horsepower in that respect, NOT because it's slippy, that just doesn't make much sence. Keep in mind that a hard metal SEEMS slippery because it's so hard.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #13
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

also i hear it closes the pores or something...similar to when the road gets cold...this id believe might give hte feel? Dunno never felt a cryd part.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
curt86iroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
Ask any materials engineer at any college with a decent program and he'll give you the REAL DEAL. He can explain to you what happens when you freeze metal parts. When you quench metal parts special things happen. Just like when you heat up a metal part you anneal it, the results are a softer metal. Quenching metal changes its properties, that's basically what freezing it is doing, making it harder. Harder as in more rigid. Other things happen but in general, a rigid part doesn't flex as much resulting in less heat (energy) from internal friction. Ever bend a piece of metal until it breaks and notice that the break is rather warm... energy.... connecting rods, blocks, cranks, pistons, they all do the same thing. I can see how a more rigid assembly would save a couple horsepower in that respect, NOT because it's slippy, that just doesn't make much sence. Keep in mind that a hard metal SEEMS slippery because it's so hard.
pretty much the right idea. ideally, you would want to heat the metal, freeze it, heat it again and freeze it again (heat treat). the goal is to increase the strength of the metal. in iron, for instance, you are trying to make as much carbon as possible because iron is a relatively soft metal. ideally, you would want to cool the metal as fast as you can, then hold it at a constant temp. this allows martensite (hardest phase of iron carbide) to form. however, this is extremely difficult to accomplish as the quenching must occur in an extremely small amount of time.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
89 Trans Am WS6

Im not rocket scientist here but you dont think the reason you gained power was perhaps..just mabe..because you dynoed a tired motor and rebuilt it and now its got the power it should have? Just a thought..dont know much of the cyro proces
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:37 PM   #16
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt86iroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
Ask any materials engineer at any college with a decent program and he'll give you the REAL DEAL. He can explain to you what happens when you freeze metal parts. When you quench metal parts special things happen. Just like when you heat up a metal part you anneal it, the results are a softer metal. Quenching metal changes its properties, that's basically what freezing it is doing, making it harder. Harder as in more rigid. Other things happen but in general, a rigid part doesn't flex as much resulting in less heat (energy) from internal friction. Ever bend a piece of metal until it breaks and notice that the break is rather warm... energy.... connecting rods, blocks, cranks, pistons, they all do the same thing. I can see how a more rigid assembly would save a couple horsepower in that respect, NOT because it's slippy, that just doesn't make much sense. Keep in mind that a hard metal SEEMS slippery because it's so hard.
pretty much the right idea. ideally, you would want to heat the metal, freeze it, heat it again and freeze it again (heat treat). the goal is to increase the strength of the metal. in iron, for instance, you are trying to make as much carbon as possible because iron is a relatively soft metal. ideally, you would want to cool the metal as fast as you can, then hold it at a constant temp. this allows martensite (hardest phase of iron carbide) to form. however, this is extremely difficult to accomplish as the quenching must occur in an extremely small amount of time.
an extension of the rockwell principle.

this is not to be confused with certain engine "coatings" which supposedly add to the ability of the oil to do its job correctly, which is to reduce friction. add in cryogenic technology with certain coatings, and the result is a stronger motor with reduced friction. i'd say that would be the equation quoted above, which would save HP and torque, but certainly not 'add' any to the engine.

if you do the research, look around, talk with other racers, there is a bunch of misinformation out there - 'specially on the internet. sift through the ******** to find out what the truth is, then spend your money more wisely. there are also a bunch of 'snake oil' salesmen out there, who claim certain things to be true but ends up with you just forking over tons of cash and them ending up with a fatter bank account - and no increase in HP or torque for you and your motor.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning