Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Scrat's_Camaro

cam question non f-body

ok i couldnt get any answers on an s10 forum but my buddy has a s10 with the 2.2 4 banger that he is gonna completely build up and turbo. now he was looking for a cam for the motor and came across one that has a duration 206/206, lift .313/.313, 112 lobe separation. he wanted to know if it will give him a lopey sound to it or not. i dont know squat about cam durations and what not so i tried searching up videos and soundclips to see if there were any cars with the setup but couldnt find anything. do you guys know?
Scrat's_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
RamAir95TA

Lope and 4-cylinder don't belong in the same sentence, sadly. It'd probably sound pretty crappy to be honest.
10.82 @ 124.25, 1.43 60' 455whp, 445wtq
Clip of 10-second pass.

More info: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...damn-time.html
RamAir95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

If he wants a turbo tell him that he shouldn't be bothered trying to buy a cam based on sound, he should buy a cam that is designed for the turbo.

A cam that makes great NA power won't work so great with the boost, and same goes the other way around.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Scrat's_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
If he wants a turbo tell him that he shouldn't be bothered trying to buy a cam based on sound, he should buy a cam that is designed for the turbo.

A cam that makes great NA power won't work so great with the boost, and same goes the other way around.

- Justin
gotcha,
i dont think he wants it based on sound cause he told me it would give him a gain of 14hp but if its a n/a cam then it wont do him any good anyway then. Is there a company that strictly make cams for turbo applications or can he just tell comp cams or lunati and such what he is building and they can set him up with one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir95TA View Post
Lope and 4-cylinder don't belong in the same sentence, sadly. It'd probably sound pretty crappy to be honest.
ive actually heard some with a lopey cam and some of them sound good. though it is wierd hearing it from a 4 banger.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
RamAir95TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat's_Camaro View Post
ive actually heard some with a lopey cam and some of them sound good. though it is wierd hearing it from a 4 banger.
Meh. I've never heard a 4-banger that sounded even remotely good. Then again I suppose sounding good is subjective.
10.82 @ 124.25, 1.43 60' 455whp, 445wtq
Clip of 10-second pass.

More info: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...damn-time.html
RamAir95TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
gotcha,
i dont think he wants it based on sound cause he told me it would give him a gain of 14hp but if its a n/a cam then it wont do him any good anyway then. Is there a company that strictly make cams for turbo applications or can he just tell comp cams or lunati and such what he is building and they can set him up with one?
Have him make semi-final decisions on what other parts will be going into the build, then call the cam company of his choosing and tell them exactly what he's doing. They shouldn't have a problem recommending an off the shelf grind that will work well, or spec'ing out a custom grind that will do the job best.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Scrat's_Camaro

alright cool, thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
crainholio

Quote:
ok i couldnt get any answers on an s10 forum but my buddy has a s10 with the 2.2 4 banger that he is gonna completely build up and turbo.
Unable to keep reading after "4 banger" and use of "turbo" as a verb.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
gotcha,

If I were him I'd make a decision based on minimizing low end power loss. HP numbers are made up high, so he has to make sure that 14hp gain up top doesn't make the truck a dog down low, especially with the turbo.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Blacdout96

If I was him, I would put together a parts list of everything he wants to purchase, and a call shop specializing in custom cam grinds, let them know what parts, and what his intentions are, and they will grind a cam that would best suit his build. If there are these sites and sops that specialize in building 2.2 turbo's give them a ring, they will help you out the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 02-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning