Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
nj96z28

Harsh Idle

my 96 z decides it want sto idle rough after long drives. More specifically it was at its worst this last weekend when i drove back form philly and had no traffic a good open run and then suddenly bam right as im getting off to teaneck cars everywhere. Starts shaking like a ***** at idle but no other time. ive had checked the codes with a professional scanner and all i get is a weird evap code. plugs are brand new, and i just did the fuel pump .... it was doing this before the fuel pump so i know thats not it. also notice when i do a regular launch out of 1st gear( meaning not driving like a nut) it vibrates....
tranny mount? engine mount.... i cant afford the labor on a distributor and wouldnt it come up in a code?
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Soon to come... New paint , and glass .
nj96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I doubt that it's a tranny or motor mount....you would most likely feel the effects of either of those the most when "driving like a nut"

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Does it feel like its breaking up the higher into the RPM's you go?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

You might have a vacuum leak at one of the evap hoses which is allowing too much extra air in at idle. Also, check the rubber intake elbow for rips or tears where air can get in past the MAF. Check to see if you can suck or blow air through the evap line up near the intake. But be careful, you might get a mouth full of dried out charcoal if the cannister is going bad. Don't ask me how I know!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #5
nj96z28

hmm the code is an evap code so ill check thanks
'96 Z28 Vert M6 - UMI LCA's,UMI SFC's,BMR Panhard rod(soon to be UMI),UMI Short Shifter,Custom clutch, SLP CAI, SLP Strut Brace, Skip Shift Elim, MagnaFlow Catback,160 stat, Tb bypass, Air Foil ,prothane motor mounts & tranny mount, Stainless Radiator Shroud, Hooker headers with magnaflow hiflo cats, brand spanking new tranny, Umi torque arm , C5 brakes all 4 corners .

Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Check the EGR valve too, that dang thing will make the ECM throw all kinds of oddball codes.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
nj96z28

im starting to get ideas about a carbeurated 400 and get rid off all this silly egr/air/computer..... who knows need a job and a beater first

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
nj96z28

my cousins gonna scan teh comp and get the cde for me tommorrow night and ill post it to see if anyone is familiar with it... meanwhile im going out to the garage to see if i can find a leak somewheres

Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Look at the basics first; How old are , wires, fuel filter and PVC valve and air filter?

Maybe the ICV is dirty, might just need to take off the throttle body and clean the ports?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
nj96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Look at the basics first; How old are , wires, fuel filter and PVC valve and air filter?

Maybe the ICV is dirty, might just need to take off the throttle body and clean the ports?
wires need replacing , everything else is brand new and the throttle body got cleaned out less than a year ago...er i ned to do fuel filter and wores... just did egr valve yesterday. i have the filter and wires... not looking forward to the wires lol

ok just went out to do wires and fuel filter.... dont have the patience fo rthe wires and my fuel filter is rusted on .... cant get that nut off . even sprayed a ton of yield on there let it soak for a few minutes and it still wont com eoff

Last edited by nj96z28; 10-19-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: sigh
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #11
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj96z28 View Post
ok just went out to do wires and fuel filter.... dont have the patience fo rthe wires and my fuel filter is rusted on .... cant get that nut off . even sprayed a ton of yield on there let it soak for a few minutes and it still wont com eoff
spray it with PB Blaster every day for a week.....shouldn't have a problem then.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
bobb1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
Check the EGR valve too, that dang thing will make the ECM throw all kinds of oddball codes.
agreed i had a 24x loss of signal on the ignition system when im reality my egr was bad
Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
nj96z28

well i put the new EGR in and the harsh idle situation is gone . ty all for the suggestions. They really put that EGR in a extra special place on these lt1 f-bodies lol.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning