Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #26
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Buyer beware. I don't automatically trust shops. I have seen too many shady people doing too many shady things and getting away with it.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 AM   #27
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
Buyer beware. I don't automatically trust shops. I have seen too many shady people doing too many shady things and getting away with it.
It has always been this way, do you not understand? This can be said about anything and anyone, anywhere, at any time. Somehow its different because you can turn a wrench too? You have no comment on the millions that the state paid parsons for re-inspections at the state lanes for things like, air fresheners on rear view mirror, oil change stickers, and so on?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #28
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
There was a shop in Ewing, that I know the former owner and several former employees, that was busted by the state and successfully sued by customers. Owner jsut paid some fines and carried on business as usual. Thankfully other circumstances caused him to sell the business or he would probably still be at it today.
What shop?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
V
Stalker

As far as the news about the inspection program changing... It really doesn't affect me.
Id be more interested in hearing a change to the registration program. So now cars 20 years and older don't get inspected anyway but still 25 to be historic? historic is one time registration fee now, will that soon apply to cars 20 years old and older as well? That's what I'd like to see.

I read the link quick and only saw "passenger-plated vehicles", but would that include pickup trucks(non-commercial)? Once again though, that does not affect me since my '96 ram is already inspection exempt due to being a diesel.

Is the 1995 cutoff based on 20 years old, or is it based on the introduction of the OBDII systems? I know 95 is OBDI still but if they move to 1996 in 2017, then its all ODBII right? Are they just trying to phase out the sniffers altogether with giving it a year to be done with? I could see that as a bigger reason. Just plug in and scan, no need for maintaining older sniffer equipment which barely gets used as more time passes.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 PM   #30
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

I figured it will be only for odb2, no reason then for the stations to keep sniffer equipment anymore thus saving money since they wont need the huge stations anymore. Could almost do the whole job with a small shed and a guy with a scanner
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:15 PM   #31
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
As far as the news about the inspection program changing... It really doesn't affect me.
Id be more interested in hearing a change to the registration program. So now cars 20 years and older don't get inspected anyway but still 25 to be historic? historic is one time registration fee now, will that soon apply to cars 20 years old and older as well? That's what I'd like to see.

I read the link quick and only saw "passenger-plated vehicles", but would that include pickup trucks(non-commercial)? Once again though, that does not affect me since my '96 ram is already inspection exempt due to being a diesel.

Is the 1995 cutoff based on 20 years old, or is it based on the introduction of the OBDII systems? I know 95 is OBDI still but if they move to 1996 in 2017, then its all ODBII right? Are they just trying to phase out the sniffers altogether with giving it a year to be done with? I could see that as a bigger reason. Just plug in and scan, no need for maintaining older sniffer equipment which barely gets used as more time passes.
Changes to registration would be nice. This is to due away with the sniffer equipment like you said. Commercial plated vehicles are inspected annually and also have to pass the safety test. This was implemented a few years ago, roughly.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #33
maroman88
12 Second Club

only car i got that would be affected is the 88, but its qq'd anyway. seems ****** to have to go to a private place if you fail and pay for a reinspection.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
Featherburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ View Post
I figured it will be only for odb2, no reason then for the stations to keep sniffer equipment anymore thus saving money since they wont need the huge stations anymore. Could almost do the whole job with a small shed and a guy with a scanner
I just got my 02 Silverado inspected on Wednesday and they still use the sniffer on that.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #35
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
only car i got that would be affected is the 88, but its qq'd anyway. seems ****** to have to go to a private place if you fail and pay for a reinspection.
Why is it ******?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
I just got my 02 Silverado inspected on Wednesday and they still use the sniffer on that.
I think someone screwed up. Possibly they didn't establish an obd II connection and can revert to a tail pipe test, I'm not sure.

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 01-01-2016 at 11:07 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #36
maroman88
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Why is it ******?
how is it not? now id have to pay where in the past i didnt...

Quote:
I think someone screwed up. Possibly they didn't establish an obd II connection and can revert to a tail pipe test, I'm not sure.
no, you fail if obd2 doesnt connect.
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT

Last edited by maroman88; 01-01-2016 at 04:00 PM.
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #37
Featherburner

Quote:
Why is it ******?

They have done it every time. I think because it's HD. Something about over 8500GVWR gets the sniffer in addition to the normal OBDII plug in.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #38
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
yup LOL.

The only way you fail now 96 and up is if your CEL is on, or if your readiness monitors arn't set. So you should know if you'll fail before you even go.
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #39
wrong generation

Social Networks:

Quote:
how is it not? now id have to pay where in the past i didnt..
iv got the same issue. if the state is going to make us go thru inspection then it should be up to the state to reinspect and for free like they have always done. other wise they should just eleminate inspection all togeather.
wrong generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #40
BonzoHansen
Admin.

or just don't go through SI with a CEL on lol
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #41
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I'm not sure if you guys can't grasp that you are paying for inspections. Its like saying you go to public school for free.

http://www.state.nj.us/sci/pdf/mvinspect.pdf

This is the very long and drawn out investigation from the early years of the contract. Just reading the opening pages will open your eyes a little more.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/1...e-inspections/

Safety inspection was done away with to save state money that you, the taxpayer, give them. Why would they do away with re-inspections?

I wish I could dig up more info on the costs of re-inspections, tail pipe testing equipment, and hard numbers on the vehicles that face these.

Quote:

no, you fail if obd2 doesnt connect.
You can receive obd II exemption and have a tail pipe test instead but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
They have done it every time. I think because it's HD. Something about over 8500GVWR gets the sniffer in addition to the normal OBDII plug in.
That makes sense. Actually it doesn't make sense but it makes sense for NJ Its because you are over 8500gvwr yet the exact same equipment can be found in a "lighter"platform and not need a tail pipe test. I guess hauling race cars is detrimental to emissions equipment
Old 01-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #42
iroc86NJ

I usually don't post but, let me give a slightly different perspective.

Time and time again I see vehicles that have expired inspection stickers with a rejection sticker on old heaps of junk which is marginally road or emissions legal. The owners of said vehicles avoid repairs and fines (summonses) by continually taking their junk down to the state inspection centers, where they fail and give them a piece of paper saying "repair and reinspect within 45 days of "X" date". By forcing these folks to go to a private facility the state for all intents and purposes is saying fix it or park it.

Also, lets see how many pre 95 cars start running around with open header
iroc86NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #43
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

I thought after a certain amount of fails it needs to be fixed asap
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #44
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86NJ View Post
just like the safety stuff (tint, front plate, altered suspension) you can still get tickets.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #45
Dudbird113

Cant wait to peel that inspection sticker and all the residue from past stickers off my windshield
Old 01-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #46
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc86NJ View Post
I usually don't post but, let me give a slightly different perspective.

Time and time again I see vehicles that have expired inspection stickers with a rejection sticker on old heaps of junk which is marginally road or emissions legal. The owners of said vehicles avoid repairs and fines (summonses) by continually taking their junk down to the state inspection centers, where they fail and give them a piece of paper saying "repair and reinspect within 45 days of "X" date". By forcing these folks to go to a private facility the state for all intents and purposes is saying fix it or park it.

With the old program, yes. With the new one, this is not supposed to occur. Its 45 days and that is it. There may be people cheating the system but it is designed to not allow this to occur.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #47
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrong generation View Post
iv got the same issue. if the state is going to make us go thru inspection then it should be up to the state to reinspect and for free like they have always done.
While being forced to pay for a reinspection does sound crappy to us, many other states (like PA) have always paid for every inspection at state licensed private facilities.

I'm sure Adam or others can correct me if I'm wrong, but 99.9% of the time, if your check engine light isn't on and you haven't reset your PCM recently you'll breeze through the plug-in emissions inspection with no worries. If it is on, or you have reset your PCM for some reason, get that taken care of before you take the vehicle in for inspection and you'll have no worries at all.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #48
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
While being forced to pay for a reinspection does sound crappy to us, many other states (like PA) have always paid for every inspection at state licensed private facilities.

I'm sure Adam or others can correct me if I'm wrong, but 99.9% of the time, if your check engine light isn't on and you haven't reset your PCM recently you'll breeze through the plug-in emissions inspection with no worries. If it is on, or you have reset your PCM for some reason, get that taken care of before you take the vehicle in for inspection and you'll have no worries at all.

- Justin

Just be glad you dont live in California. They'll fail you for a cold air intake mod. Not only do you have to take it to a certified emissions testing facility but you also have to show receipts from a certified emission repair facility performing the repairs and if a cop wants he can pop your hood to check for easily spottable mods...which will send your ass back to the shop yet again.

Jersey is way more lenient than most states.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #49
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

And its getting more lenient yet the divas are still crying
Old 01-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #50
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
And its getting more lenient yet the divas are still crying
I'm not!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge