Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
L695speed

An '84 TA gets sneaky....

I've been on here on and off for a couple years now, and realized...I didn't have anything on the build I'm doing. At least on here. So I'm gonna start one, and copy/paste with dates some things from my build thread on earlythirdgen.com.

First, a quickie background. Dad bought a '77 301 Firebird with a 4 on the floor new in '77. Story was they didn't make a '69 Mach 1 Mustang anymore and that was the closest he could find. Long story short, after 4 wrecks and an attempt to make a fake TA later he scrapped the car. But not before he bought a '78 Espirit with a 305 and an auto. The '77 had a 10th anniversary interior put into it, that was transferred to the '78. He drove that car til '91 when he sold it. Don't know if this car is still around or not, likely isn't. In '90 he bought a '84 Trans Am with T tops, a 5 speed and the L69 engine. Drove the car daily til '94. Drove it mainly in the summers and for fun til 2002 when the engine blew up.

After sitting for 2 years I got tired of seeing it sitting around. Started stripping down the engine. Found it had a massive top end failure with snapped pushrods and all. I swapped for a freebie Caprice motor (I regret doing that looking back) that was a gamble. 500 miles later of nickle and diming and an oil pressure system failure, I decided enough was enough and ripped the whole car to pieces.

Dad passed suddenly in 2008. He never got to see the car run again as I got it running again in the summer of 2009. But I recalled discussion between us about swapping for a 350, and decided to take it one step further. In 2010 as I tore apart the car, plans began to unfold to rebuild the car as a restomod. Retaining the car's factory appearance was important to me, as were the upgrades. The goal here was to have a seemingly stock '84 Trans Am that handled on rails and would run 12s in the 1/4 easy, a simple, fast, great handling street car. I may be slow in transferring images over, but they will come.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
WSex

sorry for your loss. and hoping to see it around.
WSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
L695speed

Thank you, for what its worth, I lit off the tires at the graveyard not long after I got it running and despite being in the garage, it will be around. Right now i need hard lines, a couple brake parts, an engine, and those godforsaken front springs to go in. Check all my torque specs when its done and it will be on the road. Saving paint and body for last so it will be looking like crap for awhile...LOL.

Anyway, heres the '77 excuse the Texas plates, Dad was living there for a couple years working in Austin, Texas at the University. He moved back to NJ in '79 I think. He grew up in Bayonne and Jersey City moved around as a kid for a bit too.

And here is the '84 after I got it running in 2009. The latter two pics are at the Sussex County Farm and Horse Show in 2009. The heater core blew and I didn't have tools to bypass the core. Otherwise I would have driven the car home. Wound up getting towed back.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
L695speed

And here are a couple sneaks as it is now. We used the garage for storage for years. Due to that, we still have some issues with stuff laying around despite being able to park two cars in it. My Brother's Fiero will be living next to it, for those who want to know, its an 86 GT 3800SC swap and 4 speed manual.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
1320B4U

Nice.....and sorry about the pops man.
1320B4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
maroman88
12 Second Club

great story, sad about ur dad but its great that you're continuing the work!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
L695speed

Thanks guys, I know some of Dad's friends are thrilled I decided to rebuild the car and keep it. They had some memories of that car as well.

Here is the front suspension as it is now, I need rotors and pads up front as well as hard lines. I already have rubber hoses for it.

The rear suspension has been completed since this photo but I still need hard lines, calipers and pads out back. Again already have rubber hoses for it.

Mocked up the console and so on, looks great. The shifter is a factory one with a Hawks short stick on the T56. The pattern will be replaced by the 6 speed pattern sticker. The other interior change will be the speedo being refaced for 160 MPH. These two changes should be the only changes in the interior. I am shaving the antenna for one that goes in the windshield as well. But the idea here is only those who know what they're looking at will know what is going on here.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
L695speed

Here is what some of the car looked like before I started the modifications...

Note in the first picture, the panhard bar brace bolt rotted and sheared off.

DEAD Shocks

This one is saveable, despite needing floors realistically.

The original dealer sticker still on the car. Reads Cerami Pontiac. I believe was in Rutherford NJ.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
L695speed

So far, the steering has been replaced for all new parts. Tie rods, center link, idler, the works. Replaced the adjusters with UMI pieces. The A arms have been changed for a set of UMI tubulars as have the rear LCAs. On car adjustable panhard bar from UMI, Koni Yellows, Eibach springs. The brakes have had the original booster, and master cylinder replaced. A 1LE proportioning valve has replaced the iron stock 4 wheel disc unit. Scott Degeer at bigbrakeupgrade.com worked my spindles for LS1 front brakes. Ed Miller provided the backing plates for the 11.6 PBR rear brakes. I'm going to run Raybestos rotors all round with Hawks HPS pads. The 15x7 original wheels have been changed out for 16x8s Formy wheels. Reasoning here is the later Formula wheels to the ignorant or lesser knowledgeable observer will look original to the car. I was fooled myself already once after I put the original center cap on. The rear was left alone drained of old fluid, replaced the rear axles for Mosers. Timken rear seals and bearings were installed as well.

I also put in a factory "wonder bar" from an Iroc Camaro that I got from third gen ranch. A 36mm front sway replaced the stock original WS6 32mm one. The rear sway bar is the original 23mm bar, I'm keeping that as is. Though I may pick up a set of 21, 19 and 24 mm bars to experiment with later on.

Bushings are polys all round. I know of the binding issues people talk about. However, there will be room for playing around with different setups once I get the basic setup done. I'm doing this on a rather tight budget, which explains the 2 years from tear down commencing to its present state. Its almost to the point where I can drive it again, and after seeing how bad it was suspension wise to start with, I can't wait to see what it will do now.

Last edited by L695speed; 04-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
maroman88
12 Second Club

Cerami was in Paramus on 17 south until just a few years ago when Pontiac went byebye.... its now got a new Prestige Mercedes building on the property
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
88WS-6

You're going to love the adjustable panhard/Eibach springs/Koni yellow combo. That combined with fresh tires and you'll be able to take any turn you want. My GTA was a new car after I did those mods.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
L695speed

Thanks Matt, I'll take your word for it, you had the same setup in your GTA.

Anyway, here is some more.

Some spring and compressor pics from the attempt....still haven't gotten these bastards in....

And I got the door off, stripped. I'm not gonna worry about the power locks at the moment, I need rivets big enough and the right gun to do the job. If I throw the door in and leave the power locks out for now its not the end of the world. I will however look into at least changing the lock out. I will have to get pics of the new door once I get it on the car. It needs two people or at least a serious assist from a jack or something that can hold the door to get the job done. Once the door is bolted I can get it lined up right, but I need to get the door on the car first.

Here is why I got another door as opposed to fixing this one.

AHHH NO DOOR!!!

And just because....

I know it would have been easier to find a power lock door, but even then, sometimes the actuators are shot. I may wind up getting new ones anyway. I already have the harness so that is one less headache. I already dealt with the rust in the hinge area as it was minor surface stuff, and as for the quarter, I'll get there. It doesn't need to be replaced, but that was early on when I started stripping the paint prior to changing direction to doing the body later. Enjoy.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #13
L695speed

Small update...

The new door went on the car thanks to an assist from a stack of car repair manuals. The big fat ones. A Chilton 65-72, a chilton 80-87, 1985 Ford factory service manuals (various ones from the set) stacked up to get the back of the door up, then lined up the holes on the hinges and bolted it in. It needs to be fine tuned for alignment (worst case I will just have to put in new pins) But its useable and operational.

Also I ordered the front rotors. Compared to the stock ones, these things are huge. Put a grin on my face. And they fit perfectly with the caliper in place under the 16 inch formula wheels. In fact they fit like a glove. Now I'll be going through the windshield with a huge grin on my face, because that is how they're supposed to work.

One.

Two.

Three.

I don't have photos of the door yet. But they will come.

However, its going on the back burner again. The daily driver is about to blow its steering rack, and on top of that, the tires I was hoping would last til Fall so I could get new ones for winter didn't. One of them blistered and is down to the cords. However, there is still a chance it will come back to life before the year is out.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
L695speed

Ok guys, here is a question/poll deal for you. As I honestly don't know which route I want to take.

Should I:
keep the stock spoiler and taillights (may have to replace the taillights due to broken tabs)
Replace the stock spoiler with a later year wraparound one and the taillights with a later year gridded one.
Replace one or the other and keep the stock taillights or wing.
Keep the stock spoiler and lights for show purposes/cruising or when I want the true factory appearance, and get the gridded lights and wraparound spoiler for tracking and driving, switching between the two. Its easy enough to do.

Have at it.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #15
L695speed

Well I'm almost done dealing with the daily driver's jealous tantrum. Front end has been rebuilt, including new bearings and a new hub on one side and the rack. Next up will be the timing belt. I may already be severely overdue. Or I may be alright for a bit, but at 215,000 miles I'm not taking chances. It was done at least once. Once that is squared away, I'll start taking steps to make the Trans Am a runner. The car is now a legitimate roller. I got the front springs in and they should be indexed exactly. It saw daylight for the first time in almost 2 years yesterday since I pushed it out for a bit of clean up in the garage.

I've decided I'll just stick with the stock original look at the back end. And on another side note, I drove my brother's Fiero with a stage 3 spec clutch and 3800SC into the garage the other night.... in my book, that thing won't have **** on the TA when I'm done despite my brother's delusions of grandeur. When you gas that thing it didn't scare me like a certain LS1 Vette I drove did.....The TA will be closer to the LS1 Vette.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
1320B4U

Keep the car's originality w/the spoiler and lights. Only lights i'd upgrade to are off the 91-92 t/a or gta's.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
L695speed

I discussed it with a few others on the early third gen boards and it makes sense. Due to the fragility of the taillights I'll stick with the original look. Spoiler has the issue of the wrap arounds cost a fortune in fiberglass form and its a bitch to find good ones in NJ.

Now....what shall I get next?
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
1320B4U

4th gen t/a spoiler doesn't look horrible on 3rd gen birds.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320B4U View Post
4th gen t/a spoiler doesn't look horrible on 3rd gen birds.
hahahahaha, I'll see. I got the daily going in for the timing belt on Thursday. I would love to get the Trans Am running though. So when I said "what shall I get next?" I was referring to my list of needs to get this thing running and street worthy. Chances are I'll stick with the original spoiler. After all, the car was intended to appear stock at first glance. Sucks because all the money I put into the daily (not to mention struts needing to be done) I could have gotten an intake, a motor, a set of rear calipers and been oh so close to having fun....
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
L695speed

Well, for the first time in a lil over two years the car saw daylight. And a year + 2 months ago it was a stripped shell. Not bad for my pathetic budget.

Not far off at all mechanically. Given the funds and a bit of time a running screamer by summer's end is certainly feasible. Not sure how the police will react to a no hood car though.

Took this one to compare to the old pics with the shot shocks and the old springs. I know its definitely dropped.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
L695speed

This one is still being worked on but it went from the front line to the reserve. Since I picked up Matt's GTA I've been going full out on that. Have the motor out of the car and the block is getting tanked and cleaned, with new cam bearings and freeze/oil plugs put in. Once I get it back it will be an all out run to get it back in the car and running. If the GTA project blows up in my face, I may keep the block to build the 84 up.

Last edited by L695speed; 07-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
This one is still being worked on but it went from the front line to the reserve. Since I picked up Matt's GTA I've been going full out on that. Have the motor out of the car and the block is getting tanked and cleaned, with new cam bearings and freeze/oil plugs put in. Once I get it back it will be an all out run to get it back in the car and running. If the GTA project blows up in my face, I may keep the block to build the 84 up.

so did you find out what was wrong with matts engine? Just curious
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by //<86TA>\\ View Post
so did you find out what was wrong with matts engine? Just curious
I thought I told you via PM already, must have never been sent. LOL. The mains and crank were destroyed. Grooved to hell, then the wreckage of that decided to make a trip to the cam, and did the same thing to the cam. I could wiggle the rod cap on number one significantly, and at least two others may have been on the way too. But there were no spun bearings, and no stacked bearings.

I took the block to the machinist, he said the bores were just about perfect, rods were too, the bearings were a lil beat but nothing beyond the normal wear and tear on the rod bearings. The crank was so bad he couldn't even turn it. The cam was a goner too. It needed a rebuild kit, a cam and a crank. I'm not gonna really get into the heads just yet. They were really clean. I know of the issues of rebuilding the bottom end only to have the top end go, but the top of a motor is easily done with the motor in the car. Only thing I may do to the heads may be the valve seals, but I'm not sure about that. There may have been oil and fuel blowby in the pistons due to the knock and the rings not doing their job right. That may be the cause of the smoking. I thought I could smell a hint of fuel in the oil. Which was another reason I had the machinist check the bores.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
I thought I told you via PM already, must have never been sent. LOL. The mains and crank were destroyed. Grooved to hell, then the wreckage of that decided to make a trip to the cam, and did the same thing to the cam. I could wiggle the rod cap on number one significantly, and at least two others may have been on the way too. But there were no spun bearings, and no stacked bearings.

I took the block to the machinist, he said the bores were just about perfect, rods were too, the bearings were a lil beat but nothing beyond the normal wear and tear on the rod bearings. The crank was so bad he couldn't even turn it. The cam was a goner too. It needed a rebuild kit, a cam and a crank. I'm not gonna really get into the heads just yet. They were really clean. I know of the issues of rebuilding the bottom end only to have the top end go, but the top of a motor is easily done with the motor in the car. Only thing I may do to the heads may be the valve seals, but I'm not sure about that. There may have been oil and fuel blowby in the pistons due to the knock and the rings not doing their job right. That may be the cause of the smoking. I thought I could smell a hint of fuel in the oil. Which was another reason I had the machinist check the bores.

Nice! Actually when I first noticed the knock, the mechanic at STS (who dailys an LS1 Z/28 FWIW) said that he thought the crank had gotten a hairline crack at the back of it and that it was wobbling erratically in the motor, causing the knock. Guess he was right...

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #25
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
Nice! Actually when I first noticed the knock, the mechanic at STS (who dailys an LS1 Z/28 FWIW) said that he thought the crank had gotten a hairline crack at the back of it and that it was wobbling erratically in the motor, causing the knock. Guess he was right...
That is actually a problem in early 350 TPI cars. that and Head gaskets

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects