Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

Cool The dreaded "white smoke"

Ok, so I got my car finished (finally). So I sent it down to Tune Time in Lakewood two weeks ago for a dyno tune. While it was there, they replaced the oil pan gasket, spark plugs, and changed out the rod bolts. Ran great and put down good numbers.

Fast forward to yesterday- I picked it up, and noticed some intermittent "smoke" in my first 5 minutes of "35mph driving". I figured it was some condensation from sitting for a few days and being so humid out. So I kept driving, and about 15 minutes goes by, and I see some more white smoke, this time when I'm going about 50mph on Rt 9. And it wasn't like your typical "blowing smoke" where it dissipates real quick... that smoke lingered around for a good 5 seconds. All the while, the car was running great. Then 30 minutes into my trip, the car stalls at 45mph after I let off the throttle while it shifted into third. I thought that was kind of weird, maybe unrelated, who knows. Anyway, I get onto Rt 18, then Rt 287 and the car is running great, seeing no smoke in the rearview. Then I hit some stop and go traffic on Rt 10, and thats when the car became an intermittent fog machine. It would blow white smoke, it would stop for 5 minutes then blow a little white smoke, then stop for a couple of minutes. On and off for the rest of the ride. I asked my girlfriend who followed me up if she smelled anti-freeze when it was blowing smoke, and she said no. The whole ride other than the stallout was great.

So when I got home, I checked the oil and anti-freeze. Oil was normal, not milky or anything, and the coolant was a little below the "Level when hot" line, but no bubbles or anything suspicious with the texture of the fluid. So I topped off the coolant. I wiped my finger around the inside of the tailpipe, figuring I would get a good wiff of that sweet antifreeze, but just normal non-catted exhaust stenchl. The heads & gaskets were replaced ~250 miles ago, so unless they need to be re-torqued, I'm clueless.

Just for clarification, the smoke was white, not blue/white, or black.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
enRo
13 Second Club

I put some fuel stabilizer in there this morning because I suspected there was some water in the fuel tank, and it hasn't smoked once, with the exception of a startup which was a little "poof"... it was nothing compared to the fog machine of yesterday.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
MyFirstZ

Social Networks:

that sounds a little strange how much fuel was in the tank when you added the stabalizer ? How long did it sit with fuel in the tank. If you think that it seperated at all I would be worried that the tune is going to be off as well

but i did read that write no cats correct
MyFirstZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
rockbox

any chance they put some type of 'cleaner' in it? Maybe for the injectors or something?

rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
enRo
13 Second Club

Yes, no cats.

There was probably 1/8 tank of gas sitting in there for about 6-8 months, which I treated with some stabilizer. I then filled it up and ran it for a couple of miles before I trailered it to get dyno tuned. While I ran it for those few miles, it didn't blow smoke.

Shop confirmed there was no white smoke ever when it was there for 2 weeks.

Today, I added enough stabilizer to treat 17 gallons. Ran it for about 50 miles today and only a little "poof" of smoke. Oil level & fluid is good, and coolant was topped off this morning with no change in level or fluid texture.

Gremlins did however throw a non-blinking SES light at me today, so it looks like I'll be taking a trip to my local autozone to get the code checked.

Very strange. I guess it's something to keep my eye on.

*Edit* Thinking about it, they did put in some dye to find a minor oil leak, which is why the oil pan gasket was changed. But they since changed the oil. Maybe there is still some dye in the system? I dunno.

Last edited by enRo; 05-29-2014 at 01:14 PM.
enRo is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech