Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
88gtatransam

headers

ight i want to put headers on my gta... but i dont know wut type of headers i should go with... and also if i go shorty headers can i keep my y-pipe or do i have to change it out with something eles? so wut do i do?
88gtatransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

any of the good shorty header sets will come with a new y-pipe.
if you want to keep your emissions stuff i woudl suggest either edelbrock or slp pipes. both have very good fit and finish and include everything you need. if you don't care about emissions then get yerself some full lengths, tap in an O2 sensor bung, and have a enw y-pipe fabbed up. i think hedman and hooker both have full lengths for 3rd gens.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
z2815

i got a 4th gen with edelbrock headers they came with a y pipe and fit nicely not too bad to do the plugs, and nice ground clearance i imagine 3rd gen is the same. my freind has slp headers in his 3rd gen he bottoms out sometimes but i think it's the way he put the clamps on mine is all welded. but i think it's harded to do the plugs on his. i'm not sure thought.

seventy nine camaro 400 chevy sb th350
some mods
z2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
88gtatransam

i know if i go long tube headers ill bottom out alot... thats why i was thinking bout going with the short tubes.... one of my friends said i could stay with my y-pipe thats theres now, but i dont trust him all that much... so if i have to get something to replace the y-pipe ill do that i guess
88gtatransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

On my T/A I had Holly Flowtechs, they were not emmision headers, but the fit was very good with the gaskets they supplied. Reasonable Price too, but I had a hard time finding their matching y-pipe.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

If you don't have your car lowered more than an inch or so then you shouldn't have to worry about scraping the LT's.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
Wasted Youth

i have done a few sets of the SLP headers and they are made alot better then the edelbrocks were to be really honest...another thing is no matter what you'll be change the y pipe...collector on the manifold is in a completely different place then the header manifolds...the come out in different areas...you could buy a set of crap headers and mave meineke make you a y pipe but always keep in mind you get what you pay for...i like the stainless steel slp and would never use anything else on a street car...track car id def. do jet hot hooker lt's

1980 Ducati Darmah 12:1 arias pistons, 88mm cylinders, 44mm intake 40mm exhaust valves, Imola cam, NCR race exhaust, 40mm intakes, 40mm dellorto carbs, etc

www.myspace.com/onesykgta
Wasted Youth is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning