Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Jam
Banned

Just Did A Flat Black Berger Panel

Thought I'd post up some pics of my recently done Flat Black Berger Panel Mod.
Excuse how dirty my car is (DD). You don't see too many black Camaro's w/ this mod, so here you go.

YAY SWIRL MARKS and WAX BUILD UP
!

Sanded down w/ 400 Grit and 1000 Grit

After Pics

Last edited by Jam; 02-17-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Teds89IROC

I'm not really feeling it, I think partially because with the panel, tail lights, and body, you have three different shades of black going on. Also you should have sanded with a finer grit than 1000 because sand marks are showing up through the paint. Otherwise not too bad, just not my taste.
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teds89IROC View Post
I'm not really feeling it, I think partially because with the panel, tail lights, and body, you have three different shades of black going on. Also you should have sanded with a finer grit than 1000 because sand marks are showing up through the paint. Otherwise not too bad, just not my taste.
well, it's a Daily Driver lol I just thought I'd show some pics of a well executed flat black Berger mod. Also, if you see it now there are no imperfections what so ever; all those markings that you see in the tail light housing picture came off after wet sanding and a good wash. Do you have any ideas of what I can do to make it match better (that won't require spending much money)? I was contemplating on the idea of spray painting my faded rear bumper...If I use a rattle can versus a spray gun do you think I can achieve a semi successful gloss black finish?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Im not feeling it either, theres too many shades of black floating around the back. It may just be the picture angle though, maybe it matches your top better. I would have just put some flat black decal inserts in the gloss panel if your going for the offset blacked out look. Anyway, nice job on the panel!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkEvil View Post
Im not feeling it either, theres too many shades of black floating around the back. It may just be the picture angle though, maybe it matches your top better. I would have just put some flat black decal inserts in the gloss panel if your going for the offset blacked out look. Anyway, nice job on the panel!
thanks, ya the panel came out sick. Otherwise can anyone answer my question about the painting my bumper scenario?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
camaros_4life34

i dotn think youll get it perfect but just spray it black and get a can of clear coat i dought youll be able to but if you take the paint code u might be able to get a rattle can witht eh same code but im doughting youll be able to
Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
Jam
Banned

lol well I'm not going to attempt it with a reference that is doubting it will come out good. hahaha
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
madness410

it doesnt look bad. are you going to do any inserts? this camaro looks pretty good

Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Jam
Banned

thanks bro and yeah I might get inserts. I really don't like spending money on this bitch cause I'm doing everything I can do buy a 98-00 WS6 this summer while going to college and working .
* But I really wanna know if it's possible to rattlecan a gloss black finish that would match the rest of my car.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
thanks bro and yeah I might get inserts. I really don't like spending money on this bitch cause I'm doing everything I can do buy a 98-00 WS6 this summer while going to college and working .
* But I really wanna know if it's possible to rattlecan a gloss black finish that would match the rest of my car.
i said it above, but....... you can try to paint the bumper, but it probably wont match, between brands and mixtures of paints, the age of paints, and the quality of paints and clear coats used, it would probably a shade or 2 off, very close, but noticeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
i said it above, but....... you can try to paint the bumper, but it probably wont match, between brands and mixtures of paints, the age of paints, and the quality of paints and clear coats used, it would probably a shade or 2 off, very close, but noticeable
yeah I read your response and I appreciate your help but I just wanted to repeat the question to see if other people concur with your statement or have any other input that they would like to say.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

eh. should have kept it.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
eh. should have kept it.
I'm happy with the way it came out and IMO it looks awesome, so that's all that really matters.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
yeah I read your response and I appreciate your help but I just wanted to repeat the question to see if other people concur with your statement or have any other input that they would like to say.
well ta350 and hardcorez28 are the professional auto body guys on the site, and i am not in the profession myself, but my dad has been doing it for damn near 40 years and i picked up a bit........

oh yeah, and i just painted half of a black car with professional materials, and anyone looking for differences can see them

Quote:
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
well ta350 and hardcorez28 are the professional auto body guys on the site, and i am not in the profession myself, but my dad has been doing it for damn near 40 years and i picked up a bit........

oh yeah, and i just painted half of a black car with professional materials, and anyone looking for differences can see them
well then case closed lol. your opinion was all I needed.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
well then case closed lol. your opinion was all I needed.
and apparently you want to take that completely differently than i meant it. figures

Quote:
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
bubba428

not diggin it....you should have left your TAIL PANEL (yup I said it) the way it was...just doesn't meet with the body right at the tail lights
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
NjbadSS

I would have left it alone personally..
Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #19
Jam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbadaSS View Post
I would have left it alone personally..
to be quite honest it was straight out of boredom. I might just sand it down again and see what it would look like with a semi-gloss or possibly gloss finish.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
BonzoHansen
Admin.

IMO if you rattle can the back bumper it will look worse than it does now, and CBR is right, chances are it won't match shades, and on black that will be noticable form 100 yards. And it won't hold up well. I'd try a serious buffing on it see if it helps. That tail panel might have been improved with a quality buffing job as well. If it does need paint I'd consider saing a few $$ up and getting a pro to re-shoot it.

As long as you like your flat black tail panel that is all that matters, but now we know why GM never painted the tail panel black on the dark colored big block cars back in the60s/70s. It doesn't quite look right.

Judging by the #of deleted posts, this thread has run its course.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Closed Thread

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance