Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
blown69rat

Englishtown SOLD!?!?!?

Got this from another board. Anyone confirm or deny this??

N.J.-SLICK-1
ADDICTED
Member # 2152

posted February 26, 2006 02:39 PM

I'M SORRY TO BE THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS, BUT MY SOURCES TELL ME THAT ONE OF THE GREATEST RACE TRACKS ON THE EAST COAST WILL BE SOLD AND CLOSED BY THE END OF THIS (2006) RACE SEASON!!! I'VE HEARD THIS EARLY IN THE WEEK, AND HAD TO GET PERSONAL CONFIRMATION FOR MYSELF, BUT IT'S VERY TRUE AND VERY SAD INDEED!!! AS I TYPE, THEY ARE AWAITING SOIL SAMPLES TO COME BACK AND A FEW OTHER DETAILS TO CONCLUDE THIS TRANSACTION THAT WILL TOP OVER $100,000,000.00 (ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS) WELL I GUESS THE STREET RACING WILL EXPLODE TO ALL NEW HIGHS AFTER THIS? AND THATS TO SAY THE LEAST! BUT THAT'S GOT TO BE A PLUS FOR ATCO RACEWAY & ISLAND DRAGWAY, AND POSSIBLY HAVE ALOT TO DO WITH THE TIMELY ROMODELING OF ATCO!
RACE WAY WILL BE MISSED GREATLY BY ALL, AND I'VE BEEN ATTENDING THIS GREAT TRACK SINCE THE 1977 SUMMER NATIONALS. (thats what they called it before being renamed the mopar parts nationals)

www.fullhousemotorsports.com
"I was trying to impress. And sometimes, scary tends to impress."
blown69rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I hope not. Maybe they are tired of fighting the jaggoffs that move into town from NY and they demand the track close.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
badzracing

Atco is far superior anyhow. I went to RWP a number of times and was never impressed with how things were done there. It's ashame to hear of a track closing in general, but if I had to pick one of the three Jersey dragways, it would have been Englishtown.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Dark_Knight7096

As of late i've started to not like englishtown all that much. The crowd there has changed and a lot of the people showing up for races are A**holes. Last time i was there i was almost hit 3 or 4 times because of people doing like 50 in the pits in their ricers, then they start cursing you out for not watching where you are going. I've been going to Atco lately anyway for this reason, it sucks and all because Etown is so much closer, but they were fighting an uphill battle with the surrouding residents for a long time anyway.

You know what? I hope they DO close englishtown, and then the residents will see how good they had it. Business in the area will slow down, the economy won't be as good, street racing will go up their neighborhoods will become more unsafe AND louder because now the people will be racing in front of their houses not at the track. Then after this happens I wanna watch these ignorant yuppies whine and cry about how they want something done about the speeders and streetracers and how they want something done to stimulate the local economy and bring in outsiders to patronize local businesses, guess what a-holes, you had a great solution but you killed it, now deal with it.

2013 Mini Cooper S
2011 Harley Davidson FXDWG
Dark_Knight7096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
V
Stalker

i guess ill have to start looking into NY and CT tracks, since those would be closer for me than ATCO. otherwise itll only be Island for me, as logn as they dont kick me out that much, lol(once my SS is done)
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

ETown has NHRA, that is the #1 diff in my book.

The new locals (& developers) will love it when their property values rise. That is what this is all about. There is money to be made. Watch, the auction is next.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
01ws6TA

the auction has been sold for almost a year now, i have yet to get a chance to call my neighbor who is very close friends with rich knapp (one of the owners of raceway) to confirm if etown is sold or not i know they were looking into it because of the new comers around here complaining, they were looking to move the track further south. if i hear from my neighbor if its true or not i will post it up as soon as i find out

Lou

P.S. As for street racing it cant get much worse then it already is lol
01ws6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Rob WS6

This rumor goes around every single year. Im calling BS as it is every time.
Rob WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #9
badzracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen
ETown has NHRA, that is the #1 diff in my book.

The new locals (& developers) will love it when their property values rise. That is what this is all about. There is money to be made. Watch, the auction is next.
Atco is also a NHRA sactioned track.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob WS6
This rumor goes around every single year. Im calling BS as it is every time.

Yup. Until a bulldozer drives through and destroys everything I'll call BS on the rumor every single time.

Yeah, it's a known fact that the "new locals" are complaining about the noise...it's also a known fact that Etown pumps a huge amount of $$ into the local economy. I highly doubt the rumor is true this time around.

Also, if Etown ever closes because of the whiney residents it'd be a sad sad day.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #11
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Well said, Tony.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
BigAls87Z28

I know a lot of you dont like Etown, but its 20 mins from my house, and Its a lot easier to get to then Atco or Isand, both an easy 2 hrs away from where I live. Etown is an awesome night you can just shoot up there after work and watch races with friends, and maybe run. If they close it down, Ill be real pissed.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

teh rumors of etown selling out go around every year. fact is that the place makes millions of dollars of profit without hardly any real effort from those who run it.
wanna know how much cash they rake in? in the time from teh season openign to some time between the spring swap meet and when the pros visit, the track makes enough money to cover all operating expenses for the whoel facility for the rest of the year. so sometime in may/early june they coudl stop charging admission and still break even.
etown as a facility is amazing. certainly not the fastest track around(that would be atco), but they have more to offer than any other track in jersey.
my problem is with the management. the track was founded and run for decades by racing enthusaists (much the way atco and island still are today). now it is run by a few business men and the sons of the foudners who don't race or semm to particularly care much about racing other than the money it pays them.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
BigAls87Z28

Maybe they will sell it to people who DO give a crap?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
Frosty

THEY WON'T SELL ETOWN!!! haha
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Didn't they just repave the starting line area this past fall/winter? Why would they sell after dumping money into it? That place has so much going on all the time I don't know why they would sell. They make easy money like Tim said.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #17
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

even if you don't like racing, being a part of the family is cake work. what do they really have to do?
people trip over themselves to use the facility. the NHRA can't go anyplace else in the area. most of the events there are entirely run by promoters or other sanctioning bodies so there is no real work.
so what is their day? stroll in around noonish, have some coffee, find out who is handing you the huge check of the day, then go home to your huge house with everythign you coudl ever want? wow, tough life. lol

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #18
79CamaroDiva
Queen of Destruction / NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor / Moderator / 12 Second Club / 2006 Member of the Year / PITA

I would say its a possibility, but not a strong one. The rumors go around every year, and that family is sitting on a permanent retirement fund, but I haven't heard any real information other than rumors, so I won't call it either way until I hear from the Knapps.

If they did sell the track, it would probably NOT be good business for Island or Atco. Yes, we would get the customers, but it would serve as a model as to how the other towns could over run the tracks.

btw, all of nj tracks are nhra sanctioned. Atco is the only one who has switched around a few times, but they have been NHRA for quite a few years again and Island has been for at least 20 years.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #19
trashman01
15 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
i guess ill have to start looking into NY and CT tracks, since those would be closer for me than ATCO. otherwise itll only be Island for me, as logn as they dont kick me out that much, lol(once my SS is done)
what ct track? its been closed for years

next up - 3" lift, Gutted cat/retune/muffler

Past Toys:
1983 Trans AM, 1988 Trans AM, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off-Road, 1986 Camaro IROC, 1984 Chevy K10 lifted, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD
trashman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
turbo96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
I know a lot of you dont like Etown, but its 20 mins from my house, and Its a lot easier to get to then Atco or Isand, both an easy 2 hrs away from where I live. Etown is an awesome night you can just shoot up there after work and watch races with friends, and maybe run. If they close it down, Ill be real pissed.

i'm with Al on this one. E-town is a 15 minute drive (depending on Rt9 traffic) and always makes for a good time cruising down there and watching the Wed. night runs in the summer.

i'll ask around this week, but until the Knapps say it's a done deal, i'm callin BS too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ta5spd
BTW - Bottles are for babies, real men get blown. that is all
- R.I.P. Buddy List 1/21/06 - 5/3/06...we knew you well.
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #1
- F the Plane! - Member #3

I979CamaroDiva: im in my own little zoon
I979CamaroDiva: zone even
lostsoul1006: lmao
I979CamaroDiva: wtf is a zoon
turbo96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #21
oh one ls1 SS

oh one ls1 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #22
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

all you guys saying e-town is a 15-20 min drive...

i wish i could just be like...oh im gonna run over to englishtown real quick and see some races.

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
01ws6TA

etown is literally a 5 minute walk from my front door and if it closed idk what i would do lol
01ws6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I know it is likely BS, but they face the same nonsense every year as well. I very much agree with the sentiments of Tony & Tim.

By NHRA, I meant they have a major points event i.e. Force & Friends comes to town.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
turbo96z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP99GT
all you guys saying e-town is a 15-20 min drive...

i wish i could just be like...oh im gonna run over to englishtown real quick and see some races.
:finger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ta5spd
BTW - Bottles are for babies, real men get blown. that is all
- R.I.P. Buddy List 1/21/06 - 5/3/06...we knew you well.
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #1
- F the Plane! - Member #3

I979CamaroDiva: im in my own little zoon
I979CamaroDiva: zone even
lostsoul1006: lmao
I979CamaroDiva: wtf is a zoon
turbo96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge