Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
98bandit

wuts the deal with cats??

Im about to order my parts in a few weeks and was wondering if i can get by w/o using cats. I know i wont pass emission, but will i/can i get a ticket for not having them??? And if i have to buy them wut are some good free flowing cats that sound nice with QTP LT's??
98bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98bandit
Im about to order my parts in a few weeks and was wondering if i can get by w/o using cats. I know i wont pass emission, but will i/can i get a ticket for not having them??? And if i have to buy them wut are some good free flowing cats that sound nice with QTP LT's??
A few ppl on the site stripped the cat shields off the stock y-pipe... then they weld it on an off road y pipe. It gives it the "cat" look for visual inspection. 9/10 chances you will fail emissions without cats tho. I plan on doing this to my pacesetter ORY.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Well through the DMV you only need to pass a visual inspection of your cats. If there is something that resembles a cat then you will pass as long as it isn't to loud or smelly. Usually a good tune will take care of that!

@ QTP we used to use Magnaflow 3" Highflows but were developing new ones to use with our Y-pipes.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Tsar
MIR

will u get a ticket for not having them? im pretty sure there's a big fine if they catch you without cats in one of those mobile inspection stations. am i right? anyone? bueller?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
V
Stalker

the fine, last i heard is $10k per cat missing/moved. But, i never knew anyone that actually got a ticket. A few years back i was pulled into a mobile inspection by NY staties on rt 59 in spring valley. i had an off-road y pipe and flowmaster cat back, pretty loud and you could smell if if you stood behind the car. Anyways, i was pulled in for no front plate, BUT i had it on my air dam, which they didnt see at first, they checked my paperwork, looked under the hood, checked inside the hatch, ran VIN #, asked me questions if any main parts were changed... engine, trans, body, etc. they were mainly looking for stolen parts/cars. Right off the bat they were nice to me, probably because i wasnt an idiot ricer, and when the inspector asked if anything was changed, I said my drivers fender(which they noticed anyway and saw it was OEM GM) and i said I changed my exhaust and he said "nah, we dont care about that". And that was that, they let me go, with a compliment on my car even, lol.
However, that was there on rt 59, and they were looking for certain things, but after that, i felt confident about my O/R y pipe. I DOUBT anyone will get a ticket for no cats unless you get an inspector on a bad day and you act like a wise ass.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

i have never heard of anyone getting popped for not having cats. you woudl have to be a real tool to the cops for them to go through the trouble of writing a ticket on a federal EPA statute.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I know someone who got cought without cats & they failed him because the exhaust dumped at the axles (has to have a visible exhaust tip) they made him get the car re-inspected but he still passed without the cats. He got ticketed for window tint!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #8
Lost My License

I asked this question myself not all that long ago on LS1tech.com. The fine for having no cats is very hefty, I've heard of different fine amounts from 5k to 15k for each missing cat. Now that being said I haven't heard of many people getting the ticket. They usually recieved a "fix it" ticket. Though some people have gotten a ticket for no cats, so it does happen. It may cost you 400 dollars more for getting a catted y-pipe and having them gutted (which I think is the best way to go) When you weigh the amount of 400 dollars extra compared to the risk of getting a fine of 5k to 15k I'd spend the 400 bucks. Not likely you would ever get a ticket for an ORY but I don't leave anything to chance.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
V
Stalker

Am I saying MEOW??! Do i look like a cat to you?
Do you see me jumping around, all nimbly-bimbly, tree to tree...

sorry, i couldnt resist anymore
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Am I drinking milk from a saucer??

WELL DO YA SEE ME EATING MICE?!?

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
PureSpeed
13 Second Club

no cats

From what i know, i havent heard of anyone getting a hefty fine of 5-15K for not having cats. The only thing ive seen ticketed was for "loud exhaust". You have to be under like 98 db from 100ft away from the car. My friend has a catless mustang 5.0 and he got a ticketed for going the chester. Its one of those stupid things cops can give tickets for...just like window tint. The cop shouldnt be able to give you a ticket for either one of these offences unless he...or she in some cases...comes over to your car and uses a tint meter or a decible reader.
PureSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
rgaynor85

i beleive if u want u can tell them to get decible meter out there and they have to just like telling them to cal there supervisor, and from what i heard they will leave it cause its a headace and let u go
rgaynor85 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning