Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Paul Huryk

Skidpad testing

This is a weird request - maybe someone can help me...

I'm looking for a place to do skidpad testing for CTW Motorsports wheels. Can be a formal skidpad or something I set up in a parking lot or equivalent. Just has to be free of things to hit if I lose control (lightposts, buildings, animals).

I'm in Hillsborough - can anyone help?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
88WS-6

We have done skidpad tests at some of the NNJR auto-x meets at Metlife Stadium. They set it up in an adjacent lot, put out a circle of cones and have people there to run/time it. I think they charge an extra $10 or something like that. I'm not sure how often they do it, but the season is ending soon...

Kevin (198esp1) might have more details.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
L695speed

Empty lot with cones in a "regulation" skidpad layout? Thats how I'd do it. But naturally its probably frowned upon by locals. I'd go with Matt's idea. If you are up for a drive... I believe NJMP has one, I could be wrong though. I'm interested in figures stock 245/50s vs the typical 17x9.5 with 275/40 tires upgrade. I have a set of 215/65 15s if you want to try those too for comparisons sake. Though while the tires are pretty new, they're still economy tires, not sticky at all.

My brother drove a friend's dad's vette and he said while the GTA handles close the vette had a smoother ride. Has the idea that you can't have a car turn into a sports car without being designed as one from the start. I'd agree with him, however, size wise and etc, the F bodies are close to a vette from the start, at least from the C4s on up. I've heard rumors of GM detuning Fbodies so they don't embarrass the vette. The 2000 he drove had 275s. I'd wager if I put 275s on either TA I have they'd match the vette or come damn close. Particularly the 84 when I'm done with it I'd bet would give a vette a run for its money. Hence interested in results. I've driven a modded 2001 Z06, but not on a winding road so I can't really compare.

Last edited by L695speed; 10-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Paul Huryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
Empty lot with cones in a "regulation" skidpad layout? Thats how I'd do it. But naturally its probably frowned upon by locals. I'd go with Matt's idea. If you are up for a drive... I believe NJMP has one, I could be wrong though. I'm interested in figures stock 245/50s vs the typical 17x9.5 with 275/40 tires upgrade. I have a set of 215/65 15s if you want to try those too for comparisons sake. Though while the tires are pretty new, they're still economy tires, not sticky at all.

My brother drove a friend's dad's vette and he said while the GTA handles close the vette had a smoother ride. Has the idea that you can't have a car turn into a sports car without being designed as one from the start. I'd agree with him, however, size wise and etc, the F bodies are close to a vette from the start, at least from the C4s on up. I've heard rumors of GM detuning Fbodies so they don't embarrass the vette. The 2000 he drove had 275s. I'd wager if I put 275s on either TA I have they'd match the vette or come damn close. Particularly the 84 when I'm done with it I'd bet would give a vette a run for its money. Hence interested in results. I've driven a modded 2001 Z06, but not on a winding road so I can't really compare.
I'm thinking to do that - set up cones in a lot and time it and g-tech it to get some numbers.

The Vette does have the advantage of some newer style stuff, newer generations ride good, but the 1985 Z51 was infamous for having a truck-like ride (and also being able to handle close to 1g on 255-50-16 gatorbacks stock). I had a non Z51 car and it was a teeth rattler...

I just sent a set of wheel out to a highly ranked CMC racer (camaro mustang challenge) out in the midwest the other day. He mentioned to me that the 4th gens with 275 tires have an advantage over the 3rd gens with the 245 tires, but it's not that much - a 275-40 tire should easily beat the newer cars; upcoming testing will show if that is true...

I'm going to disagree about the designing a car to be a sports car from the start idea... I have seen some really crazy stuff over the years - built Chevelles outlapping trailered race cars on the road course; to 9 second rotary powered 70's ****box toyotas at englishtown. From looking at magazines today, you can turn a 60's Camaro into one that will kill a brand new ZL1 car; a 55 shoebox that can out handle a new EVO, and all sorts of weird stuff. High budget - sure; engineering breakthroughs - probably...

My point is that you can make any car handle, stop, and accelerate like a race car (assuming you can pay the bill for mods).

I always wondered if GM used the high quality parts they really should have (instead of the folded metal garbage), how much better they would have made the 3rd and 4th gen cars...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post

I call bunk.

C3 vettes handle like **** from the factory...
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I call bunk.

C3 vettes handle like **** from the factory...
He didn't drive a C3, he drove a C5. I've driven a C2 with a 427, didn't handle worth a damn compared to the third gen F bodies and I'm told C3s are similar. They'd require a whole host of chassis upgrades.

Paul I have a friend whose dad's shop proves your point everyday, I've seen the same. My brother I think is hung up on it has to have two seats and preferably midengined to be a sports car.... The MR2 sure, Fiero....no (he has both), so I think what he means is from the factory you can't really match a purpose built sports car. From that point, he does have a point, though I don't entirely agree with it. Though the later F bodies came damn close. Now can you make a car go and stop like a fully built race car and still have it street legal, sure of course you can, what car you want to make do so, depends on how big is the check book is.

I may be able to look up the 4th gen numbers vs the 15th anniversary and GTA numbers to get an idea on tire sizes making a difference. I think they did, not the best comparison but they're close enough everywhere else to make a fair basis.

Last edited by L695speed; 10-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
198esp1

PM sent

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Racer's Lounge