Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #1
creeper

Just a few of many many pictures to come (MSNE 4/11/10)

My dad swung by for about an hour and took 1,400 pics. Here's a few unedited, they look really nice touched up a bit but I have been extremely busy and just wanted to throw a few up:

Echo...

Getting a little sideways...

Charles...

Me, when zoomed in you can really see the tire squirming...

Putting my autozone ceramics to work...

Awesome day. I can not wait for the next event.

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Looks good. I stuck around for a little bit in the afternoon, but you guys must have been on course working and Echo was driving in the first afternoon heat. Oh well. Next time. What kind of tires were you guys on?

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
creeper

ooo yeah he wanted to work grid so they let him run with the first group and work second. he was on 615's, the camaro had 555's, and I had Kumho SPT's. for what I paid for em I can't complain but they are far from ideal.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
thunder
12 Second Club

looks like a blast man i wanna do this once i fix my car up a bit
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
ooo yeah he wanted to work grid so they let him run with the first group and work second. he was on 615's, the camaro had 555's, and I had Kumho SPT's. for what I paid for em I can't complain but they are far from ideal.
How's the A4 for autox? Just keep it in 2nd?

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
FlyingDutchman

Social Networks:

Sweet pics! Very tempting...
1997 Camaro Z28 - 355 LT1, T56, CC503, LTs, ORY, Bald Eagle-back exhaust, !emissions, Lingenfelter CAI, EWP, !CAGS, BMR LCAs, UMI PHB, Koni Str.t/Koni SA, C5 Z06 front / LS1 F-body rear brake swap, factory hurst with short stick

2014 2LT Cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
How's the A4 for autox? Just keep it in 2nd?
I'm very happy with it for now. yeah I launch in 1st and then just leave it in 2nd. 2000's and up have 1st gear lockout in "2" so it won't downshift unexpectedly. do you shift at all after the 1-2 shift? most people I talk to don't leave 2nd anyway. I'm keeping an eye out for a T56 though, I'd love to swap it this summer but I'll probably wait until next. with 107k I figure it won't be too too long before I have to rebuild/replace the trans anyway, so I may as well upgrade to something stronger and more suited towards what I like doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97camaro View Post
Sweet pics! Very tempting...
sooooooo do it. nothing will break. you probably won't even notice any tire wear with the new fresh pavement. maybe you'll finally learn what your car is capable of...

Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
thunder
12 Second Club

Quote:
I'm very happy with it for now. yeah I launch in 1st and then just leave it in 2nd. 2000's and up have 1st gear lockout in "2" so it won't downshift unexpectedly. do you shift at all after the 1-2 shift? most people I talk to don't leave 2nd anyway. I'm keeping an eye out for a T56 though, I'd love to swap it this summer but I'll probably wait until next. with 107k I figure it won't be too too long before I have to rebuild/replace the trans anyway, so I may as well upgrade to something stronger and more suited towards what I like doing\
lets also not forget how much more fun a do it yourself transmission iswhich to me is the only point of racing
Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I've never gotten out of 2nd gear at an autox, but at a few autox never even gotten out of 1st gear (needless to say I don't go to those events anymore). I was just curious if the auto would hold 2nd or drop to 1st in a slow corner or something or override 2nd and shift to 3rd because of speed sensors or internal pressures in the tranny? There are quite a few purpose built autox cars that use a built automatic. There is a nice early 2nd gen that goes to the Philly region events and uses an auto. He runs in ESP and is a competitive car on the local level.

At MSNE you guys should run in class U. Then we'd all be running at the same time and could go back and forth and compare notes. Looking at your mods and the class breakdown and upgrades points system you guys should probably be in class U anyway. Not that I care (I don't run for class points at MSNE), other than it would be cool to all run at that same time, even go back to back to back to back. Kinda like how all the Miatas' end up running together. I would try to run in class C, but they know my car and what's done to it (previous owner of the car was heavily involved with MSNE), so I can't join you guys in class C.

Peace
Chris

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 04-13-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
creeper

I can start off in 2nd gear from a stop and run it to the rev limiter and it won't upshift or downshift. 98's and 99's will go down into 1st though. I've tried running it in "D" a few times just for fun and it's really tricky trying to control the upshifts and downshifts.

I'm not really sure which class I really am in but since I'm a newb I just stay in C. I tried adding it up to see, but I'm not sure whether I should count springs/shocks as 5 points each and then add 20 points for coilovers on top of that or what. They're adjustable but they're just sleeves, not an actual threaded body shock, and I only have them in front. Lots of little things I'm not sure on but it looks like I'd get maybe a 1 or 2 class bump. If you're there next time we can all run in U just to compare. Not sure how useful I'd be for comparing notes since I just sorta bomb it with no real technique but I'm sure it would be fun.

What all do you have done?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

that looks so fun! next car......

a manual valve body in your a4 could let you beat on it some and select the gears. would be something to consider if you went with a built a4
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
creeper

I figure if I have to pull the trans and pay for a rebuild and all kinds of upgrades it'll end up coming out to be about the same as a 6 speed swap. Plus the stock converter has a dead spot down low and anything bigger would add a lot of heat if I ever get to a real road course. Thought about a 3200ish stall but I don't wanna put money into the trans and then blow it.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
I can start off in 2nd gear from a stop and run it to the rev limiter and it won't upshift or downshift. 98's and 99's will go down into 1st though. I've tried running it in "D" a few times just for fun and it's really tricky trying to control the upshifts and downshifts.

I'm not really sure which class I really am in but since I'm a newb I just stay in C. I tried adding it up to see, but I'm not sure whether I should count springs/shocks as 5 points each and then add 20 points for coilovers on top of that or what. They're adjustable but they're just sleeves, not an actual threaded body shock, and I only have them in front. Lots of little things I'm not sure on but it looks like I'd get maybe a 1 or 2 class bump. If you're there next time we can all run in U just to compare. Not sure how useful I'd be for comparing notes since I just sorta bomb it with no real technique but I'm sure it would be fun.

What all do you have done?
I don't blame for for not trying to figure out their classing system. Its too much like work. I don't think anyone there really cares all that much about the classes anyway, only thing that matters is they have a really nice lot to run in.

I have the usual suspension stuff: springs, shocks, bars, C5 brakes upfront and full exhaust, small cam upgrade, blah blah blah etc.

I pretty much bomb around too, but I do try improve and chase other drivers who I know are faster than me and/or in similarly equipped vehicles.

Hopefully we'll cross paths at the next event.

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
creeper

sounds good, I'll probably be sticking with the later sessions but may do some earlier ones too.

I took an instructor my last few runs just to see what he said and by braking earlier and getting on the gas more steadily I dropped almost 3 seconds off my time. Now I know for next time. After looking through my pictures I also noticed that I'm a LOT further away from cones than everyone else and that I brake into corners quite often.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X