Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Italian Stallion

trans am door panel inserts

just checked out 6LE and saw they had the pre cut inserts, but are kinda pricey at $200, but they look real nice. i know i could go to a crafts store and pick up another type of material to cover the existing one but im not too sure how difficult it is do any of you guys have something like this? pics?
thanks! mike
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
LS1ow
Power Member / trans break does not equal transbrake

Social Networks:

i look at nearly everyting 6LE makes(besides bumpers n what not) and i feel like I, along with many other people could make it themselves
LS1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Italian Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
i look at nearly everyting 6LE makes(besides bumpers n what not) and i feel like I, along with many other people could make it themselves
thats what i was thinking, i just dont want it to come out like crap , i saw on ls1 tech alot of people did it themselves and it came out pretty good. so i think im gunan give it a shot.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
WayFast84

My friend did inserts on the doors in his vw. He said it was pretty easy and I've been thinking about doing it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Italian Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFast84 View Post
My friend did inserts on the doors in his vw. He said it was pretty easy and I've been thinking about doing it.
well if you get around to it before i do, let me know how it goes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

I did it on my ex's Mazda3 back when were dating. I think it cost me under $20 to do all four doors, plus the Super77.

Mark over-prices his items by an exorbitant amount.

The hardest part, in these cars, is getting the insert out and back on. Once you do that, the actual covering part is cake--(No, Beggz. Control yourself.)

Not on a Fbody, but it's the same process, after you've removed the stock insert. If you've ever laid down window tint, you won't have any issues doing this. I'm working off memory from a couple years back here, but basically:
  • Go to a Fabric store. There are so many options for you to chose from. You won't need more than 3 yards, I believe. But take the dimensions before you go to the store anyway.
  • Lay down the fabric over the insert. (I used micro-suede when I did this, 6 years ago). Then flip both over, so you're looking at the back of the inset.
  • Cut around the perimeter of the insert, leaving at least a 2" flap of fabric that you can fold back onto the back of the fabric.
  • Spray an abundance amount of Super77 on the face of the stock insert.
  • Center the fabric over the insert appropriately, then set it down slowly. Make sure there aren't any wrinkles, and smooth it out as you lay it down.
  • Let it cure.
  • Then fold the extra fabric over to the back. Make it stay down however you want--Super77, hot glue, rubber cement, JB WELD!, industrial staples
  • Attach the insert back to the panel.
  • Cut a small X slit into the holes where the door handle bezel and whatnot go. Pop those in. DO NOT CUT OUT A "circle" shape. Only a X.
  • Use a credit-card or something along those lines to poke any excess fabric into the crevices to make the insert look clean.
  • Make sure you run your hand over the surface of the insert multiple times to make sure the fabric is making contact with the glue and staying there.

No In-Progress pics, but these are the finished pics from back in 08. We broke up a few years later, but they were still holding up for the next 3 years or so--probably still are, but I haven't asked--so you should be good.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 01-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Italian Stallion

nice man..came out really good. and thanks for the tips. ill post up some pics in a couple days of how i make out. thanks

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance