Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
V
Stalker

Where can I get a lockset for 3rd gen?

I'm trying to find where I can get a complete lock set for a 3rd gen.

I don't need the ignition lock, got that already,...

But I do need, both doors, ttops, rear cargo compartment, and hatch(power pull-down and firebird specific)
Its for a 1988 Trans Am.

I found that Hawks sells the door and trunk, but no cargo box or ttops with that. I want only 2 keys, (1 for locks and 1 for ignition)

Other than buying/finding a used lockset off a car being parted out, anyone know of where I could look?
(I may have another used lockset available, but would have to ask previous owner for that key)

Or would it be easier to have a new key cut for the current locks?
I've never done that before.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

You will probably have to take the cargo and t-top locks out and have them re-keyed for the new locks you buy. You could try a stealership and see if they are all still available. I dont recall ever seeing aftermarket cargo locks
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
V
Stalker

I did find a new t-top lock set and from the same seller, also a new door lock set that included doors, trunk, storage compartment, and the inner folding cover lock. I was thinking of contacting him and seeing if he could make a ttop set keyed the same as the rest.

I'm going to buy 2 round black rubber molded GM key blanks so when I do finally get it sorted out, I'll have matching oem style keys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-92-Firebi...item5aefc7e392

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMARO-FIREBIRD-T-TOP-LOCKS-CL442-/390569911615?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&fits=Model%3AFirebird&hash=item5aefc7e53f

But that's still around $125

Can I just take the rear storage lock or any lock out and bring it to a locksmith to make a key for?

Last edited by V; 08-06-2013 at 11:33 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech