Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects

Notices

Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
L695speed

I got an eagle crank which I had checked. It was perfect. So there should be no problems there. As for the head gaskets, I'm surprised to hear that because of the iron heads to iron block. Most head gasket problems I've heard of and worked on involved aluminum heads. I'll see if I can find a crack in the old crank. Didn't see anything off the bat. But considering the mains were the issue I'd bet there was something else.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #27
greenformula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
I got an eagle crank which I had checked. It was perfect. So there should be no problems there. As for the head gaskets, I'm surprised to hear that because of the iron heads to iron block. Most head gasket problems I've heard of and worked on involved aluminum heads. I'll see if I can find a crack in the old crank. Didn't see anything off the bat. But considering the mains were the issue I'd bet there was something else.
The flaw was in the gaskets themselves

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
L695speed

Ah ok, got it. Anyway update on the 88 GTA. Engine is coming back together, LT1 cam is in, lifters, lifter plate, crank, timing chain and gears, pistons/rods. I could put the heads on at this point in fact. I just want to do a bit more cleaning on the heads before I put them on. Still gotta do the front timing cover, rear main seal. But the bottom of the motor just needs an oil pump installed and we're done with that, along with an oil filter adapter and oil pan.

If all goes well, I could be putting it in and have it running this weekend...if I'm lucky. That puts me right in that one month deadline I made for myself. Not bad considering I couldn't do much for at least a week while the block and rods and etc were at the machine shop.

And Note to self...GET A BETTER PISTON RING COMPRESSOR! Parts store ones suck, they work but they make what should be an easy job a pain in the ass....

Last edited by L695speed; 07-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #29
88WS-6

You should make a separate thread for the GTA

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
You should make a separate thread for the GTA
I will....when I get around to it, just put in in here for now for those who already asked or commented in it. I'm guessing I'll find out sooner rather than later if this blows up in my face eh Matt? lol.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
88WS-6

I'm just saying that it's such an awesome car that it deserves its own thread.

You better not blow it up. I did that once already.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
I'm just saying that it's such an awesome car that it deserves its own thread.

You better not blow it up. I did that once already.
You'll see a thread eventually, and when you do you'll have to excuse the tools and parts on the floor as the table filled up.

As for blowing it up, I'm really hoping I don't. But as they say "Build it, blow it up, rebuild it, repeat". LMAO! I've done everything by the book keeping it as clean as I can....tough in a garage that one's brother just throws **** around in... Lubed everything that needs to be lubed and everything. We'll see how it goes. I got a motor that should have been scrapped from the start to run with the 84 so I should be able to get a clean block with new parts in there to run without issues. If something goes wrong....well more practice for me....
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #33
L695speed

The car is pretty much on the back burner. I may do some little things like removing the cracked broken moulding around the T top glass. I also have a block and other misc parts to build the stroker. Right now the block is just sitting in the car to keep it out of the way. I'm hoping that a few things go my way on the job front. There is a lead I'm hoping works out in Florida, that if it goes through I'll be down there and bringing the car with me. The other deal I'm working on is me and a friend are thinking of opening a restoration shop near where he is out in Minnesota. He despises working at the toyota dealer he is working at now, and wants to get back into the older car game. We were discussing how we could get our name out if we did it, and this car and his 71 T bird are among the options to do as a finished example of our work that we could take to shows. Either way, once I get some decent money coming in this one will be done fairly quick. Only difference is, if we open that shop, this car will have a complete paint job as well. Whereas if I go to florida it may be some time still before its painted.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Projects