Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
muaymendez1

Leaking gear oil on to brake shoes and drum

So i wondered why my rear was spinning with brakes applied on ice. i removed teh druma nd found a sticky residue on the brake shoes. I see it was comming from the axle seal.
my question is could it be that it leaked due to too much fluid in the rear when the PO lubed it? or could it be a bad seal. ? And if so is this the type of axle with c clips( need to opena nd drain to get to clip)?

The residue is not fresh and oily its more like a sticky greasy substance, which makes me think its old gear oil that damged teh shows and made teh PO step hard on teh brake to stop and therefore creating an out of adjustment issue.
I have no garage or time to do the seals and bearings so I will be replacing the shoes with lifetime warranty from auto zone , and Ill replace them again when i need to.
muaymendez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
V
Stalker

could be axle seals, and yes, there are c clips.

could also be a leaky brake cylinder.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
muaymendez1

No brake cyl looks clean.
muaymendez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

unless you know you over filled your rear I'd doubt that is it, although overfilled rear may blow out the seals. I'd expect it to blow out of the vent tube too if that was the case. if the vent is clogged it might push out past the seals.

you have to open the rear to remove the axles. Inspect the axles for wear. Also check the outer axle bearing. I just had to replace those on my truck because play in the bearing caused the leak.

also, oil contaminated brake shoes are beat, so replace those too when you fix it.

Paul is right, also check your wheel cylinders.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Check the brake cylinders for sure.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline