Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
SeanC

Help me with clutch/flywheel choice

Hey guys,

So after hating my clutch at the track (stock LT1 replacement), I think i've decided to replace it with a new one for next season. I've talked to two guys at my work (one has a 1000+ twin turbo Camaro), and both of them swear by Spec clutches, in particular, the Spec stage 3+. I want to do the work by myself to learn and get better at working on my car, so Josh's famous clutches are not an option for me. I've heard both sides on Spec, people that swear by them, and people that absolutely hate them (and have major problems). What do you think? I'm a little above stock HP levels, but from what i've read, the spec stage 3 is way better than the stage 2. May be way over kill in its HP rating, but i'd rather go with the better clutch.

When I replaced my clutch the first time, I resurfaced the stock flywheel. Well, that was a mistake, because it chatters pretty bad. What flywheel do you guys use? I'm not sure whether to just get a stock one, a lightweight aluminum one, or just an aftermarket steel one.

Any help/opinions would really be appreciated

Thanks!
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

What's your budget?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
V
Stalker

I am one of those that didnt have the greatest experience with my SPEC, but it did its job for the most part. when i finally took it out, it practically fell apart and all the springs in the clutch disc were broken and/or missing, explaining my issues. I did have substantial chatter for a long time.

When i did the rebuild i went with a Textralia clutch, expensive but i loved it and if i need to do one ever in the V, that's what its getting. No chatter at all.

Last edited by V; 12-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
SeanC

I'm going to buy what I need, but I can't afford expensive clutches like monster/textralia. The price of a Spec 3+ is probably about as much as I want to spend on the clutch kit. My goal is to spend near/under $1,000 when all is said is done (clutch kit, flywheel, pilot/throwout bearing, and possible slave cylinder).

V, How long ago did you have your Spec that fell apart, and what stage did you have? I've read that Spec had problems a few years ago with their stuff falling apart, but have solved it and make good clutches now. The guy that has the stage 3+ at my work said the thing can launch his car like a bat out of hell, still is street friendly when need be, and has a nice feel to it.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
198esp1

had the spec3 for about 75k had the chatter issue but didnt really mind. I have a billet alum flywheel in it so when i decided to replace the clutch i just replaced the steel insert in the flywheel (50 bucks) This time i went with the stage 4 no springs, looking for less rotating weight (yes my springs in the stage3 were broke)
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
SeanC

All these stories of the Spec clutches coming apart is scaring me....Do I have any good alternatives that aren't $1,000 for just the clutch kit? I guess the LT1 is pretty limited because of the weird clutch style....
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Slow-V6

I have had a Spec Stage 3 in my old car and I have a Spec stage 2+ in my 02 WS6. My Stage 2+ has about 50,000 miles on it and is still running good. It has some chatter still when its cold. Its a nice clutch. My Stage 3 had about 80,000 miles on it when I sold my 98. The car made 430rwtq and that clutch held up perfectly. No chatter at all. Was pretty easy to drive as well. When I replace my clutch in my 02 I am going to go to a Stage 3 spec.
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
SeanC

I'm probably going to end up going with a spec stage 3 or 3+ and hope I have good luck...should I get a spec or aftermarket flywheel rather than a stock one?

Whats the major difference between steel and aluminum flywheels? Obviously the aluminum ones are lighter....what are the pros and cons of getting a lighter one?

Last edited by SeanC; 12-15-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Slow-V6

I think if you daily drive your car then I would stick with a Stock flywheel. If you drive it on the weekends or race it then maybe get a aluminum. I heard that the Aluminum are a little harsh to drive on the street. The cheapest way is to just get your stock Flywheel resurfaced. Should be about 50.00 for that at a local Machine shop..
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

You can also go for an aftermarket steel flywheel that is lighter than stock but still heavier than the aluminum.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

I used a McLeod's street clutch with a SLP billet flywheel and they worked great together. I ran it for about 40K miles and countless passes at the track with my drag radials. At the end of it's life it was just starting to slip when hot lapping.

McLoead had two strret clutchs, one equal to stock, the other was an upgraded one called the button facing clutch, which is the one I used. It felt much like stock in driving, not like my current street twin that is tuff to slip.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
V
Stalker

seanC, i got my spec stage 3 in 2002. So its possible it was one of the "bad ones" I only had 10k miles on the car when i lost my original clutch. what had happened was that the splined ring in the disc spun in the disc itself.

Right now im in the market for a clutch for my V, and im leaning towards Monster Level 3. I see a lot of Spec ones for CTS-Vs, but i wouldnt feel comfortable with them still.
So in my case, ill soon end up dropping $875 for "H.D. pressure plate, 12" cerametallic 6 puck disc, 18lb SFI certified light weight flywheel, pilot bearing, release bearing, slave cylinder, and alignment tool". then a new GM master too while I'm at it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline