Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
transmaro93

radio windows help....

hey guys.... for a while now iv had an intermittent cut out of my radio and windows... when ever my radio cuts out my windows stop working... if the radio comes back on the windows will start working again.... according to the ground diagrams the radio and window circuits share the same ground so that would explain why they go out together.... but i cant figure out why they go out... i havent traced the wires behind the dash yet but under the dash and behind the radio look good... (its an aftermarket radio "alpine").... its so intermittent that there is no patter when it cuts out and when it doesnt.... its not the wires in the door i checked them because i know on older cars they rot out and break after the years... just today i was messing with it and the key was on for maybe 3 minutes while i was removing the head unit and i took it out and man was this thing hot... i thought that was weird (it wasnt on either).... i cant get my windows to stop working with the radio harness disconnected so right now im leaning toward a faulty radio... because it was soo hot and the fact that my windows work with it disconnected... but again its not a cirtain thing and id hate to buy a new radio and have the same thing continue so is there any input that you guys can give me? have any of you come accross this before? BTW its the car in the sig 97 formula... thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

when my RAP (retained accessory power) module went bad, my windows and radio wouldn't work. it wasn't intermittent though like yours. i would leave the radio out for like a week, then install it again. or leave the dash apart and have the radio plugged in. when it effs up, unplug the radio and see if that changes anything.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
chrisfrom nj

it could be the ignition switch
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
transmaro93

i dont think its the ign. switch becuase nothing else changes except the windows and radio... car runs fine and dashlights stay where they are nothing changes... and i guess im gonna do that and leave it apart... i dont drive the car that much so i can only test it once and a while... but i guess ill just go for more joy rides...
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
transmaro93

ok did some more work on my car after work today.... i pulled the whole outer dash out and inspected the harness that goes behind the cluster and they seem to be fine... so when i was messen around with all this the windows werent working so i stuck my test light in the constant power terminal to the headunit... and its good... but the ign source lead wasnt on... so i turned the key off and back on and the light blinked but went out... did it again and it blinked and went out... did it again and it blinked and stayed on and the windows worked.... so does anybody know about some kind of a relay or somthing that might hook up to the windows and radio or a juntion box or somthing... it seems that what ever is causeing this its intermitten when the key is turned to the run position... any help is appreciated... isnt there any electrical gurus in here...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

on my way out the door but i would suggest ignition switch if its intermittent. RAP module may be going bad too. did you try turning the key back to ACC?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
98CamaroSS

Change the RAP module first and see if that solves it. I don't think its the ign-switch or you would have more problems then just the radio and windows.

98CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
transmaro93

yea i felt the same about the ign switch that i would have other more crazy things going on.... what is the RAP module... and where is it located... never delt with this peice before... whats it do and what not...??? thanks for the help guys
Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Retained Accessory Power Module. its kind of like turning your key to ACC when you turn the car off and don't open the doors. it lasts for 10 minutes or something like that. radio, windows, and door locks still get power. its mounted in the passenger compartment on the firewall. its under the carpet i think, up and to the right of the gas pedal. dealer only.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
transmaro93

alright... ill look for it tomarrow... its dark out now... any idea of what they cost... ill get it through work so ill get it at cost.... if its cheap ill just get one and try it... from what your tellen me it sounds like there is a good chance that this thing is the problem... if it is ill buy you a drink at the fridays meet the 16th... heh so hope it is

Last edited by transmaro93; 09-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.
transmaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

hahaha i'll take a tall one! but should be under or just over $100. i think i paid $80 discounted. you are better off with a part # calling the dealer too. i was like Rap module and the guy straight up huh-ed me. for beers!

oh its like a small black box with a large connector on it. maybe 8 wires? i'd say around 6in x 6in x 1in. if you have alldata or another similar program, you can clearly see what i am describing and where its located. i could get you a diagram tomorrow, though i may be sidetracked with court and busy sched at work

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 09-04-2008 at 06:25 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
transmaro93

i have all data at work... the only thing i found under against the firewall was under the footrest all the way at the left was a little box with a connector on it... almost looks like an oversized relay... execpt its not replaceable (the harness goes right into it) its maybe 1 1/2in x 1 1/2in x 2 1/2in tall... my car is a 97 so maybe its a different than urs and mine is a stick too i dont know if urs is stick... there was only 5 wires going to it tho... but ill look tomarrow on all data...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #13
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah look through the wiring diagrams or go into relays and modules for windows. its in there somewhere. im gunna look in my car now. its a 95 auto so it could be different, but i wouldn't think too different. its more by the radio too from what i remember. lemme see if i can find it, ill take a pic
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
transmaro93

dont worry about it i just found a website taht gives all the locations im gonna go look now in my car i see where it is.... thanks again
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
transmaro93

well i pulled somthing out from back there but i dont htink this is it.. i think this is somtihng called an Power Window Express Down Module because it looks exaclty like that in the picture its too dark out to see what im doing so ill just mess with it tomarrow if its not raining... dont go out of your way... i dont even know if 97's had rap modules because the part number list on this guys page says 93-95 so i donno ill see what alldata has to tell me...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

location is on the firewall in a small rubber pocket. my hand is resting on the gas pedal. i simply pushed the plastic trim up and pulled the module out of the pocket. its on the left side of the hump....eh the pic is it!

size....7 wires. numbers on module are - 12135089....and....41428. i believe the first is the GM #

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 09-04-2008 at 07:07 PM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

the power window express down module is for the auto down on the driver window
Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
transmaro93

ok thanks man for the pics too... your pretty good how do you know all this ****.... you a tech?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #19
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

haha i had my hands dirty with a couple camaros, but i work at my dads place for now. i try to learn as much as i can, and give any advice i may have!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #20
ins0mnia24

That is the same problem the post above yours has..
Your car doesnt have a RAP Module the RAP features are built in to your Body Control Module on your passenger side that is what supplies power to your stereo, power windows, interior light ect..
Most likely you need a new BCM
Haha nevermind that is your post..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...

Last edited by ins0mnia24; 09-06-2008 at 01:42 AM.
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring