Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
Billfromnj

87 camaro no heat

K it worked like a month ago when i used car, but when used it last week was blowing cold air, its not fogging the windows or anything on defrost so i dont think its the heater core, was low on coolant so i filled it...i think it got luke warm for a minute then went back to cold....when radio is off, i cant hear so kinda liquid moving around and making noise from behind dash on passenger side. im not sure if somethings clog or not? or maybe i just need new thermo? any one can help? car reaches normal temp 2 right in middle

Last edited by Billfromnj; 01-27-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Billfromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

If the temperature of your water is normal then its not the t-stat.

I would say, make sure you can hear the flappers moving when you slide the controls. The hot-cold slide moves a cable driven flap. If you pull off the lower dash panel on the passenger side, you can see it. Mine popped off once.

Check to make sure that control valve, (mushroom thingy on passenger side of motor above valve cover) has the vacuum line connected and thats working. Its easy to by pass it with running a line straight from the heater core connector on the firewall, to the water pump (with a barb fitting) or the radiator. Other one goes from the core to your manifold.

I would check those first before I say its clogged.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

get the car up to operating temp, feel each hose going to the heater core (one is in, one is out) if the in-hose is hot, and the out-hose is cold/mildly warm, you either have a plugged core or a heater valve not opening

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Billfromnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrend1 View Post
If the temperature of your water is normal then its not the t-stat.

I would say, make sure you can hear the flappers moving when you slide the controls. The hot-cold slide moves a cable driven flap. If you pull off the lower dash panel on the passenger side, you can see it. Mine popped off once.

Check to make sure that control valve, (mushroom thingy on passenger side of motor above valve cover) has the vacuum line connected and thats working. Its easy to by pass it with running a line straight from the heater core connector on the firewall, to the water pump (with a barb fitting) or the radiator. Other one goes from the core to your manifold.

I would check those first before I say its clogged.
the flappers u speak of u mean u can actually hear something like click open and closed? cause when i move the lever from cold to hot i can feel as if the cable is on there but i hear no noise....ill go look into it now and report back
Billfromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
chrisfrom nj

heater valve check the vacume line
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech