Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
Untamed

Engine Swap?

With two people, how long on average would it take to do an engine swap? Taking out a 305 TBI, and dropping in another 305 TBI? No special mods, just s straight up swap.

Looks like I'll actually have both the 26th and 27th free which would give me the Saturday to disconnect everything except the tranny, engine mounts and hood (need help with the hood) in preparation for a swap on Sunday. Unfortunately thats Easter Sunday, and the only full weekend I have free.

Even if I cant get the swap done that weekend, I'd like to get best guestimates of what it would take to tear down, then swap out engines, reconnecting everything without any mods. A full 2 days? I have a bunch of other logistical issues to work out (no hoist, stand, and parked in a storage facility) so that might prevent me as well.

I'm a newbie at this sort of thing but have both the Haynes book at the GM 88 Firebird service manual with the exploded views and step by step instructions. Can't be too hard right? Just time consuming assuming no major problems with the rest of the car?
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

If you take your time labeling wires and such, I would say allow one nice afternoon to get everything disconnected. You will need something to hold up the front of the transmission when you pull the motor.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Batman
11 Second Club

You can knock it out in a weekend, probably a day if you really go at it, just LABEL everything when you go to pull the harness.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #4
Koll
14 Second Club

I know its a lot different, but my dad and I have changed in and out 3 big blocks in 1 day (mind you it was in a boat, but it was still done).
Koll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Fasterthanyou

It isn't hard. As for the labeling, it's really not necessary with the TBI harness. Everything lays in place and is the correct length with connectors that are specific to each plug making it impossible to screw up.
Are you taking the trans out with the engine? If so, it's all a matter of how fast you unbolt things and put them in a nice pile. Using a marker to lable things like the direction of the radiator hoses makes things easier.
As for the bolts, if you can, put them back into the threaded holes that you took them out of but if not a zip lock baggy with a label does wonders.
If you need any help let me know, I can give you a few hours seeing as I've done this before.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
9secfirebird

ive done one in an afternoon......by myself.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #7
j0n

i got no experience with this sorta thing but i would love to lend a hand and help out any way i could since i want to learn about stuff like this
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

It could possibly be done in a weekend, even a day provided you have all the right tools and you dont break anything important in the process.

Personally I could do an engine swap in about a day maybe 2 after resting. As long as your not an animal about it like I was it takes ALOT less time.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Untamed

Thanks guys. I dont plan to mess with the tranny, just jack it up to slip it off the block and replace the block. Same TBI. Same exhaust manifolds. Just need a mess of lubricant, fluids, fuel and gaskets.

The closer I get to that weekend the better I'll be able to say for certain that a swap will happen. I still have to purchase the engine, however I dont think that will be a problem.

If you guys have time that weekend (26th-27th, with that Sunday being Easter Sunday) I would love both the help and the company. Might need some help in the tool department too like hoist, stand if needed and an extra jack for the tranny. I have the jack stands and probably the hand tools needed. No air tools available. With luck it wont snow or be too cold. Might have to bring a few bottles or cans of liquid warmth to help.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Mike
BadMod

took me and my dad...........5-10 on a friday night, and then untill about 1 pm saturday to do his el camino.....

me and my friends have honda swaps down to a 5 hour job........from pulling it onto the lift, to taking it for a test drive........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #11
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed
If you guys have time that weekend (26th-27th, with that Sunday being Easter Sunday) I would love both the help and the company. Â*Might need some help in the tool department too like hoist, stand if needed and an extra jack for the tranny. Â*I have the jack stands and probably the hand tools needed. Â*No air tools available. Â* Â*With luck it wont snow or be too cold. Â*Might have to bring a few bottles or cans of liquid warmth to help. Â*
If the weather is good I wouldnt mind lending a hand or supervising. But I dont have a way to get my engine hoist or stand down from N. Jersey. But I am free that weekend, if you just need a spare hand or spotter.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #12
Untamed

Well doesn't look like I'll be doing the engine swap this weekend. Driving the wife and kids out to Indiana to visit the grandparents, while I stay behind and work (and enjoy a quiet house for a week).

I'll have to settle for smaller projects like - swapping a steering wheel and fixing the locking mechanism in the drivers side door.

Really wish I could do the engine swap.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

If you plan it on a weekend I may be able to give a hand. I could toss most of my tools that are needed into my truck.

I did a full swap single handed in afternoon pretty much. I usually bring the tranny out with the motor though, since its usualy a PITA to get the upper bellhousing bolts. On thirdgens it isnt as bad, but on the 95 stang and 4th gens, its next to impossible to get under that cowl.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #14
bad64chevelle
I will beat you with a toaster!

Like everyone has said as long as you take your time and have extra help it should be easy. Done Many of them, and have all been uneventful. Get some people to help, the right tools, and dont mess around and you will be done in no time.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secfirebird

My dad pulled the motor from my pickup truck, then I pulled the motor from my camaro and then I put the camaro motor in my pickup truck. that took one day and I was driving the truck that night.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:25 PM   #16
deadtrend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secfirebird

My dad pulled the motor from my pickup truck, then I pulled the motor from my camaro and then I put the camaro motor in my pickup truck. that took one day and I was driving the truck that night.
I sat the tranny on the tailgate of my truck, swung the motor into to and bolted it. Rebalanced the chain, swung it into the engine bay, putting the tailshaft on a floorjack. Sat on the mounts, jack up the tailshaft and bolted the crossmember, then bolted the mounts.

unhooked the chain, stepped back and thought "I cant believe i actually did it without hurting myself"

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
Old 03-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #17
Untamed

You guys make this all sound so easy. I suppose if I had done it before I might feel the same. In truth it really should be easy since it would be just swapping one 305 for another, same intake and tranny.

Well, if I can get a full day free and the right tools (stand, hoist, etc) I'll put out the call. I would definately like at least one person there for some pointers and to help lift the hood.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #18
deadtrend1

its not much to it at all. Unless your doing trick work like stuffing a gen III motor into it

Old 03-22-2005, 10:18 PM   #19
Fasterthanyou

The most important thing is labeling the starter wires since those CAN get mixed up. Spend 3 days just trying to figure out why it wouldn't crank... never let a dumb friend touch the wiring and put it back on. He'll never get it right even though he swears that he did.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #20
deadtrend1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasterthanyou
The most important thing is labeling the starter wires since those CAN get mixed up. Spend 3 days just trying to figure out why it wouldn't crank... never let a dumb friend touch the wiring and put it back on. He'll never get it right even though he swears that he did.
we did a lg4 rebuild and couldn't figure out what vacuum lines went where

Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #21
camaro2you

ya just make shure everything is labeled im gonna kick my self in the ass when i go to drop a new motor in mine because i missed labeling some. oops looks like im gonna need some help when that day comes guys lol that wont be for a month or two.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #22
Untamed

I think thats what Im looking at also, another month or two. Currently looking for a different job so once thats settled and we've moved (if needed) then I'll do the swap. Plenty of smaller projects to keep me busy in the mean time.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning