Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 04-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Untamed

Broken AIR Connector?

Hey guys, while removing some parts I put too much pressure on something and managed to break it. It prevented me from going head first into the valve cover, however the part doesnt look fixable.

You can see a pic of it here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/772583/2 Its the second pic on the page, just to the right of the oil fill on the valve cover.

What is that thing? The rubber boot was screwed onto the brass-looking piece. The threads were rusted through and broke off inside the rubber boot. Is the metal threaded piece (whatever it is) replaceable? What is it called?
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
HardcoreZ28

Dave,
Does the brass looking piece thread onto the steel collector for the AIR tubes? If so you can probably get the bronze piece at a junkyard for cheap and either get the air diverter valve there or they are still available at parts stores I believe. If it's not threaded on you may have to get a set of air tubes off an old manifold and cut the fitting off both pieces and tig weld it onto your manifold...or get a junkyard manifold.

I really don't remember how that piece is on there....I removed my stock manifolds soooooo long ago.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Untamed

Maybe a used set of headers from someone in the club is the best way to go. I enjoy junkyards, but have never worked on an exhaust system. Welding? Only thing I know about welding is to make sure I dont look directly at the bright light. :P
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning