Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
89firebird

SBC carbed 350 in 85 monte popping through exhaust on pass side?????????

Ok heres the deal I picked up an 85ss monte with a 78 Camaro 350 in it.
car sat for 4 years headers rusted off of it car started up and ran good only ran it for a few minutes to load on the trailer and bring it home I have no history on car other then it sat for 4 years.

I just installed brand new long tube headers on it along with a new starter and new accel plugs because that's what I had on my shelf at the time figured why not use them anyway now that I have the exhaust hooked up and started the car up it is popping out of the pass side exhaust its at idle and through the rpm sweep. only ran the motor for about 2 minutes and shut it down. Has a weind intake and edlejunk carb on it. Car has true duals with no h pipe or x pipe so I know for certain it is out of the pass side. I just changed the valve cover gaskets as well and its stock heads with stock stamped steel rockers some of them felt a little loose. Trying to figure out what could be the cause of the popping problem I have not replaced the cap rotor or plugs yet but they did seem to in ok shape. Any ideas on what to look for would be appreciated. thanks guys
89firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Dudbird113

Ive always thought popping means wiped out exhaust cam lobe
Old 08-31-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
zraffz

Uh I read about three lines of your post. Are they the right reach plugs for the heads? You can easily get a nasty miss from the wrong plugs, risk having a piston hitting a plug, etc.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
89firebird

Same brand plugs that I pulled out of it but not sure how it ran with the prior plugs due to motor was loud being that the headers were rusted off of it.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

You should verify what plugs are needed and make sure you replace with the same ones. Same brand doesn't mean squat - there are different lengths, different heat ranges, etc and that will all affect how the engine runs.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
chrisfrom nj

Tune the motor I had the same prob it turned out to be a bad dist cap
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
steves602

At some point in the near future I would think about doing a compression/leak down test to get an idea of cond. of engine internals. I prefer the leak down test, If there is a bad valve or piston ring this will be better to pinpoint the problem. You said you have no history on engine. I would do this and the basics in the other posts before throwing a lot of money at trying to fix it.
steves602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
The_Bishop
Power Member

Compression test will show wiped cam lobe, leakdown will not.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
89firebird

By saying same brand ment same brand and part number sorry for not specifying that.....

I also today spent some time messing with it at first I pulled the valve cover and cranked it over without the hot wiring going to the distributor. Looked for any valves that were not moving as much as the rest everything seemed fine.

I then pulled the wire for the back cylinder and started it up and had no popping out of the exhaust.

At that point I retraced all of the plug wires being that I was in a rush the first time to get it started up. Found that cyl 5 and 7 wires were crossed switched them around started it up and runs good now. Glad it was something as stupid as that the first day i just got fusterated working on it once i got it started and it was popping i just shut the hood and walked away.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Glad is was something easily fixed

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89firebird View Post
By saying same brand ment same brand and part number sorry for not specifying that.....

I also today spent some time messing with it at first I pulled the valve cover and cranked it over without the hot wiring going to the distributor. Looked for any valves that were not moving as much as the rest everything seemed fine.

I then pulled the wire for the back cylinder and started it up and had no popping out of the exhaust.

At that point I retraced all of the plug wires being that I was in a rush the first time to get it started up. Found that cyl 5 and 7 wires were crossed switched them around started it up and runs good now. Glad it was something as stupid as that the first day i just got fusterated working on it once i got it started and it was popping i just shut the hood and walked away.
DAMN!

Too slow. I read the first post and my initial thought was firing order. Glad you figured it out.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning