Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
cdacda13

No start, no spark, plus braking issue

(Sorry, I know this isn't a F-body question, but I'm extremely stumped and I'm not getting help at any dodge forums. Mods, if this is really wrong, just delete it.) I know there are some extremely intelligent and helpful people here. So hopefully you can help.

1988 Dakota, V6 TBI 4x4.
Truck was sitting for about 7 years in my neighbor's yard. He gave me the truck and I've been fixing it up for the last few weeks.

Brakes first:
Replaced every single metal brake line. Both wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, drums, rotors, pads, and rubber lines. I bypassed the Height sensing proportioning valve. After bleeding the brakes several times, pedal still feels soft and doesn't hold pressure, but no leaks anywhere. Also, the rears lock up during panic braking from 25 MPH.
Is the height sensing proportioning valve that important to regular stopping without at load? Or is the front proportioning valve bad?

Starting issue:
After sitting for over 7 years, the truck fired right up with some new gas and a new battery. Replaced the plugs about a week ago and it ran fine after that. Truck ran fine until yesterday. I go to fire it up, and nothing. Checked all the fuel lines I replaced, cleaned the injectors, checked the pump. Now fuel was finally getting to the Throttle body, but still was firing up.

Pulled a plug, no spark. Checked all the fuses, all them checked out fine. Pulled the coil, it tested within range for both primary and secondary. Tried to spark the coil wire, nothing. Tested the resistance of the coil wire, really high. Replaced it with a spare wire laying around.

Tested it, still no spark. Replaced the coil with a old chevy coil, and still no spark. Tested the voltage to the coil, its getting 8-9 volts, which from what I read should be enough to get a spark. Backtracked and cleaned every connection I could think of. Still no difference.
I'm thinking it might be the Hall effect pick up switch, but anyone know a test for it?

Any other ideas? Did I over look something? Am I forgetting something?
I was hoping to have this truck ready to take with me to college when I leave in 5 days. That ain't looking like a great deadline right now. Any help is appreciated.
Thank You

(Again, Sorry if this breaks the rules.)
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
chrisfrom nj

it could be a bad computer
chrisfrom nj is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech