Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
hardline_42

NJ DMV Laws on engine-swaps?

I've got a 406 short block in my garage that I'm itching to swap into my 4 cyl. 95 S-10. The block has been decked and externally is identical to a pre '86 350 block. I'd like to be able to pass NJ inspection with it using a Vortec top end, smog equipment and/or accessories (or any other '95 and up set-up) while still getting decent power and daily-driver reliability. Will I be able to pass inspection with this set-up? Can I do a Vortec MPFI system instead and still keep it legal? Thanks.

'93 Z28 LT1 - Parting out

"Is that a rat? No, it's just a really fat mouse."

hardline_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

To pass inspection with a 95 as a "somg legal" vehicle is going to be a challenge changing from 4cyl to V8. 95 is the last year that the S-series truckw were OBD1 vehicles, which means you have to pass the engine code check AND the sniffer.

If you can make a performance 406 meet the minimum standard for a 95 S-10 without paying anyone off or going private "wink wink nudge nudge" inspection I would be surprised.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning