Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
bobb1589

overheating problem

so i searched this forum and found a few overheating threads, but i had a couple added questions. my car overheats when i am sitting at idle. i just had it flushed just to clean out the system ( it was overheating before) one thing they pointed out was that they noticed the fans werent coming on when the car warmed up. i never really noticed it so im not sure if its recent or not. i know the fan motor isnt bad, i turned the a/c on and the fan goes on. i also hooked up my scanner to the car and the pcm is reading the temperature at most around 215 which seems pretty normal, however the gauge is saying that it is overheating and the check gauges light comes on. i am not sure which one to believe. i would like to believe the pcm is right...so...there is a relay that i swapped with another and it didnt seem to help, the fuse seems fine... could there be anything else causing this? i just replaced the sensor that controls the gauge recently...
Old 02-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
FBODS4EVER

if your reading 215 degrees. sounds about right. i dont think the fans kick on till 225-230 or something like that. but your car i believe has 2 sensors. 1 for temp to pcm. the other for the guage. you replaced the gauge one, and your car is reading hot. does it actually overheat? meaning do you hear water bubbling in the overfill or anything when you turn the car off? you should check for a ground on the wire to the temp gauge and sensor. (since this sensor has been replaced)a grounded wire will cause the gauge to read hot. when car is running at right temp. then you may want to check the resistance on the other sensor with a multimeter to see if that one is possibly going bad. also check your fan relays.
1995 PONTIAC FIREBIRD M5 V6 ( sold )
1989 Trans Am GTA 5.7L 67000mi current

Last edited by FBODS4EVER; 02-25-2009 at 07:21 PM.
FBODS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
bobb1589

i meant to say i replaced both! i actually broke the plastic part of both of them when i was taking them out for other reasons... so they are both about a month or so old..

i dont physically see any overheating....

Last edited by bobb1589; 02-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.
bobb1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
GREZ28

Ever changed the thermostat? Almost everytime that I would flush my car and replace the coolant for some reason my thermostat will get stuck. I would let cool off the first time and hand sqeeze the hose, and start it up again. That would seem to be the trick. It also hapend to a friend of mine a few times and told him to do the same.
GREZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
bobb1589

yeah changed it abotu a month ago... i have a feeling it has to do with the sensor or an electrical thing

Last edited by bobb1589; 02-25-2009 at 08:52 PM.
bobb1589 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech