Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
01SS

Angry Car shutting off Need Help.

Ok so here is a little story of some problems I have been having with the car lately. It all started with getting my cam and other parts installed. I take it to Jay Fischer Pontiac in Elmer for the work. In process they say my power steering pump is no good which I new I was having problems. So they say they fix it. Well shortly after the pump starts leaking again really bad and gets all over the alternator which ends up dying on me. I replace the alternator and find the cause of the P/S pump prb and fix it. Now the car just keeps shutting off every now and then sometimes it erases all the data from fuel management and I have idle probs till it resets sometimes car just shutsdown kicks back on and nothing is erased. Had my battery tested and it isnt great but not bad yet either. The battery is nearing the end of its life though but cant really afford to buy a new one unless I am certain that is the problem. Any info anyone can give would be much appreciated. I need to solve this prob soon.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
GrandmasterCow
12 Second Club

Throwing any codes ?
1999 Trans Am WS6
2000 Trans Am WS6
GrandmasterCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
maroman88
12 Second Club

sounds like a bad ground, maybe to the computer?
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
camaro2you

I would check all of your battery cables, ones running to the fuse box, alt, starter, etc.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
V
Stalker

check the grounds on the back side of the drivers head. i also think there is a ground in the area of the alt. i know what my grounds off the head were loose, the car would shut down and buck ramndomly while driving
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
01SS

I havn't had access to checking the codes or dont know how to bring up the codes in dash. Someone had suggested bad ground before could the ground on the alternator cause this if its slightly loose? The voltage on gauge varies a lot also jumping from 13 to 15-16 or so also.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SS View Post
I havn't had access to checking the codes or dont know how to bring up the codes in dash. Someone had suggested bad ground before could the ground on the alternator cause this if its slightly loose? The voltage on gauge varies a lot also jumping from 13 to 15-16 or so also.
if your up into the 15-16 range, you have major electrical charging issues. The alt may be new but if the battery is damaged the alt can get damaged as well. Id check all grounds and, if it was my car(and yes i know money is an issue for you) i'd replace the battery and alternator both right away.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
check the grounds on the back side of the drivers head. i also think there is a ground in the area of the alt. i know what my grounds off the head were loose, the car would shut down and buck ramndomly while driving
Thats pretty close to what I got goin on I'm gonna check the ground on the alt tomorrow since that was the most recently messed with when I changed the alt out. Does anyone know the best way to access the alt ground kinda of hard to get to with power steering pump in the way and the little heat shield by the ground mount on alt?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
01SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
if your up into the 15-16 range, you have major electrical charging issues. The alt may be new but if the battery is damaged the alt can get damaged as well. Id check all grounds and, if it was my car(and yes i know money is an issue for you) i'd replace the battery and alternator both right away.
Alternator is a brand new refurb I guess ill replace the batt also

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring