Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

Old 02-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
6spdg37s

anyone do their own rattle can paint touch-up ?

After someone hitting my mirror and ripping it off the car... I bought an unpainted replacement and rattle canned it myself and it actually is not noticeable at all...

which leads me to the next question.... my corner of my rear bumper has paint damage (previous owner obviously backed into something or someone hit it while parallel parking, car was from queens originally)

do I touch that up myself with the rattle can ? I really don't want to re-paint the car and spend money especially when I am racing and the rubber starts melting the clear coat (happened to me as fell F- Me right ? )

who has done this themselves how has it worked? can it get worse than it already is ?
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Pewter is very hard to match.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
6spdg37s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Torque View Post
Pewter is very hard to match.
agreed but the question is does it look better being noticeably damaged or touched up but not matching perfectly...
6spdg37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
V
Stalker

repaint entire bumper, or buy a used bumper in pewter with less damage.
don't worry about blending onto 1/4s, the factory even had a slight shade difference due to metal and plastic difference.
And yes, there are some 12 or so "pewter" variations for 2001. When i painted my engine compartment and hatch the guy at the paint store and I went trough all of them with my gas door in hand. the final one we picked was so close you couldn't have told the difference between it and the oem color. (I don't have record of the exact one sorry, that was in 2007)
When I removed my export rear bumper and needed a oem one, i bought a pewter one with little scuffs on it off ebay. I buffed it and waxed it and threw it on, cost me like 120 bucks shipped.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
repaint entire bumper, or buy a used bumper in pewter with less damage.
don't worry about blending onto 1/4s, the factory even had a slight shade difference due to metal and plastic difference.
And yes, there are some 12 or so "pewter" variations for 2001. When i painted my engine compartment and hatch the guy at the paint store and I went trough all of them with my gas door in hand. the final one we picked was so close you couldn't have told the difference between it and the oem color. (I don't have record of the exact one sorry, that was in 2007)
When I removed my export rear bumper and needed a oem one, i bought a pewter one with little scuffs on it off ebay. I buffed it and waxed it and threw it on, cost me like 120 bucks shipped.
This is what I would do too.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 02-28-2016 at 08:04 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Pics of damage?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance