Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
z28camaro94
13 sec club

Technical LED questions

I am going to be creating some sequential LED turn signals (front and rear). My plan is to use the existing LT1 housings and mounting LEDs to them along with the resistors and micro-controllers.

My main question is which LEDs would be better to use. White LEDs behind the red lens(rear) and yellow lens(front), or use red LEDs behind the red lens and yellow LEDs behind the yellow lens. As far as brightness and visibility for safety.

I'm looking at 5mm LEDs with a 30 to 45 degree viewing angle. 18,000 to 25000 millicandela. Mounting 54 on each rear and 20-25 on the front(still questionable on exactly how many will fit). Having a micro controller for each corner, with inputs from the signals, brake light switch(for rear), parking light switch, and hazzards. 3rd brake light will still be original bulb(until I switch to the SS spoiler). The controllers will be Arduino, the ones with 54 digital outputs.

Writing the program for the controllers will probably be the most challenging, as I have no experience with that. I know that the Arduino code is very similar to C++ and I have a book to learn the C++.

I would just use a 555 timer, but the problem with that is if the brake lights and turn signals are on at the same time, with the 555 timer the brake lights will override the turn signals, which is an obvious problem. So with the Arduino , I can use the "if" statement so that the turn signals will override the brake lights.

2nd question is, can anyone on here offer some advice on writing the actual code and which program should I use to write the code? Will Microsoft Visual Basic work or do I have to use specific Arduino software?

This is going to be a long and drawn out process and will take some time. I can physically mount and wire everything up. I need to find some spare front and rear lenses and start buying up all the necessary components. But I figured while Im accruing all the necessary parts, I can at lease start working on the code for the program.

If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey maybe if this all works out, I can start producing sequential lighting and a plug and play type of deal.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
stealth355tpi

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/foru...y.php?13-LED-s

first thing i would recommend is to join there and start reading alot. to answer your first question, match the color of the led to the color of the lense and 5mm leds arent going to cut it. once you start reading on the forums youll see why and what to use. as for your second question i cant help you there but they will be able to. good luck, ive got a pair of tail lights i started but didnt get to far yet.
2000 Camaro SS M6 #6244 of 8913
Got BOOST?

stealth355tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Always put the same color LED behind the color of lens you are using. As far as the programming, I've never done it so I can't help you there. You may be better off buying an available kit and converting it for what you need.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro94 View Post
I am going to be creating some sequential LED turn signals (front and rear). My plan is to use the existing LT1 housings and mounting LEDs to them along with the resistors and micro-controllers.

My main question is which LEDs would be better to use. White LEDs behind the red lens(rear) and yellow lens(front), or use red LEDs behind the red lens and yellow LEDs behind the yellow lens. As far as brightness and visibility for safety.

I'm looking at 5mm LEDs with a 30 to 45 degree viewing angle. 18,000 to 25000 millicandela. Mounting 54 on each rear and 20-25 on the front(still questionable on exactly how many will fit). Having a micro controller for each corner, with inputs from the signals, brake light switch(for rear), parking light switch, and hazzards. 3rd brake light will still be original bulb(until I switch to the SS spoiler). The controllers will be Arduino, the ones with 54 digital outputs.

Writing the program for the controllers will probably be the most challenging, as I have no experience with that. I know that the Arduino code is very similar to C++ and I have a book to learn the C++.

I would just use a 555 timer, but the problem with that is if the brake lights and turn signals are on at the same time, with the 555 timer the brake lights will override the turn signals, which is an obvious problem. So with the Arduino , I can use the "if" statement so that the turn signals will override the brake lights.

2nd question is, can anyone on here offer some advice on writing the actual code and which program should I use to write the code? Will Microsoft Visual Basic work or do I have to use specific Arduino software?

This is going to be a long and drawn out process and will take some time. I can physically mount and wire everything up. I need to find some spare front and rear lenses and start buying up all the necessary components. But I figured while Im accruing all the necessary parts, I can at lease start working on the code for the program.

If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey maybe if this all works out, I can start producing sequential lighting and a plug and play type of deal.
Download a free version of MS Visual Studio. These days writing code is easy with auto-complete.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
z28camaro94
13 sec club

Thank you all for your quick replys.

I figured as much with the color of leds behind the same color lens. The only reason I asked is because at my job we sell the Trucklite lights and it seems that most of the time they use red LEDs behind a clear lens and they are much brighter than behind a red lens. But a clear lens is not a option(for me) for the rear lights.

Im going to be doing a lot of research and planing before attempting this.

Thank you for that website stealth, that will be very helpful.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

You're going to want to use high flux LED's for a project like this. usually a low profile package with 4 pins.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
z28camaro94
13 sec club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth355tpi View Post
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/foru...y.php?13-LED-s

first thing i would recommend is to join there and start reading alot. to answer your first question, match the color of the led to the color of the lense and 5mm leds arent going to cut it. once you start reading on the forums youll see why and what to use. as for your second question i cant help you there but they will be able to. good luck, ive got a pair of tail lights i started but didnt get to far yet.

Holy crap!!! My brain is about to explode from all this info!!! Maybe Ill look back tomoro.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
stealth355tpi

Haha yeah there's a lot of info on there. Alot of people to ask if you have any questions. I remember seeing a few people on there that did what you want to do with your lights. Also there's people that sell the leds your going to need if you look in the classifieds.
Got BOOST?

Last edited by stealth355tpi; 03-19-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
89 Trans Am WS6

nice!!

Love the idea of using the arduino!

Always get a kick from reading hackaday and seeing what people build with these things and Raspberry Pi's.

Theres some people here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHE38...yer_detailpage trying to get this guy to give up his code, its kind of old though, lol.

Once you get the hang of the coding, the possibilities are endless with this. Could definitely do some fun stuff with the output wire of a alarm system too.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
z28camaro94
13 sec club

yea the Im going to be using the mega 2650. can get em cheap on ebay for like $20 a piece, which is good since I need 4 of them. 54 inputs/outputs, using 4 as inputs and it has PWM so I can dim the LEDs for parking lights. Using a series/parallel circuit and having the MC switch them on in sequence by grounding out a transistor in each string. Building the array is simple(at least for me). The code is the toughest part. Its based off the C++ language but with simpler language and syntax. And I have a C++ book at home to study up on. Still trying to get the "Hello World" program to work. hahaha

Last edited by z28camaro94; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.
z28camaro94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
stealth355tpi

http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...-lights-3.html
Got BOOST?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring