Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
johnjzjz

Motorsports park revs up

Motorsports park revs up: Construction could start soon
By JOSEPH P. SMITH
Staff Writer
jsmith@thedailyjournal.com

MILLVILLE -- Gov. Jon S. Corzine gave the New Jersey Motorsports Park project an added plug Friday.

Corzine held a special signing ceremony at the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center for legislation creating the state's first sports entertainment district.

Construction could commence within two months, according to officials.

"It's something that is about economic development," Corzine said. "It's about community development. It's about giving hope and opportunity in the days and years ahead, and I'm proud to sign the bill."

Corzine, who first backed the project as a U.S. senator, said the park should benefit the state as a whole.

"It's going to be a true thunderbolt for the East Coast," he said, a play on words based on the park's Thunderbolt Raceway.

The governor, who arrived in a white limousine, brought state General Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts with him.

Corzine actually had signed the same bill in his office three weeks ago. Sponsors and supporters pushed for a more public display, though.

The entertainment district is to provide sales tax revenue to cover some of the construction and engineering costs of the $100 million motor sports-themed facility.

That is a key financial component for the park, whose backers hope to break ground in 30 to 60 days.

The park is to be built on about 706 acres at and near the municipal airport in three phases. The project has unanimous support from city government, Cumberland County officials and area legislators.

Lee Brahin, one of three principal investors, sat in on the signing, but did not speak.

Earlier Friday, Brahin said the Federal Aviation Administration still must sign off on using airport land for the park. That is expected shortly.

"There is a small amount of environmental work that will be done through Brownfields funding on Phase I," Brahin said. "That encompasses maybe 6 acres."

Developers are trying to coordinate that with Millville and the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"Ideally, we'd like to close on the property and have those efforts take place in the course of construction," he said. "Nothing in the first phase seems to be major or expensive."

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, D-1, was a prime sponsor of the bill.

"We have a governor who knows what the bottom line is," Van Drew said. "And the bottom line is economic development."

Corzine said lobbying has been constant, and even annoying.

"I should also mention Freeholder Director Doug Rainear and the irrepressible Lou Magazzu, who is on my case about as much as Don Fauerbach."

Basically, the law allows a 2 percent per item sales tax to be levied on top of the regular state sales tax.

The district falls within part of Millville's Urban Enterprise Zone. Inside the zone, most goods and services are subject to a sales tax half the normal rate of 7 percent.

In the district, goods and services will have a sales tax of either 5.5 percent (3.5 percent plus the 2 percent) or 9 percent (7 percent plus 2 percent).

The money that 2 percent raises goes into an account with the state to be used to defer construction costs.

"The most important part of this is to understand it's only at the airport," Van Drew said earlier in the week. "The people of Millville are not going to feel this."

The law actually is only a guideline.

City officials and developers are headed into talks with the state treasurer to work out a detailed spending plan. Some of the ideas date to the McGreevey administration.

The tax money can not be used to pay salaries, benefits or anything not connected with construction.

"We've given Millville a huge competitive edge," Van Drew said. "It's now up to them to use the competitive edge."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	j6zx6n1171417989.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1005  
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Woot!

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Untamed

Tax, tax, tax... I wonder if it will get so expensive, that no one will want to pay, much less drive, that far for overpriced entertainment? Thats a helluva hike for most people living in this state.
I USED TO HAVE an 85 Camaro 305 4bbl, 90 Firebird V6, 97 Firebird V6 (10 speakers!). Despite the two family vehicles, 3 kids, wife and mortgage, I can finally realize the dream - 88 TA almost all stock... for now.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/untameddave

Wanted this - , but ended up with this - for free. Can't argue with free.
Untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
bubba428

wtf...was his monkey azz suposed to lower taxes...anyway...can't wait to take a run around a fresh track
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Problems74
13 Second Club

Helluva Hike for the State? Well, that is their problem. Hell, People in Central and somewhat South Jersey Hike up to the Meadowlands for a Giants game, or other big-to-do's. I think they can suck it up to driving down here to see a rather good racing event... but then again, that comes down to space issues in North Jersey. Betcha love it now....heh. I can't wait until the damn thing is open.. maybe they will incorporate a Quarter Mile Strip for the NHRA, and you know what that means.... Street night.... something possibly better then E-town and the water bog..erra, Atco. * drools *

- Problems
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Thumbs up

KOOL!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

It's more of a country club for car guys. Read up.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
BigAls87Z28

Good stuff. The tax thing is a little crazy..9% is high. Will that tax be constant for the life of the park, or just till its done being paid for? Problem is, with taxes already high, why do they have to jack it up even more? At least the people in the area dont really get hit, just the people that shop at this complex.
Anyone wana give a rundown of what will be at the track?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

cool cool!

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge