Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 05-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Brake line question

I discovered a crack in the brake line that runs from the master cylinder to the rear today. It appears to be broken right where the fitting is that connects it to the short rubber line with the junction block that splits for each rear drum.

Would it be better to search for a replacement line, buy a bunch of tubing and make my own replacement line, or cut the current one and fix it using a flare tool, adaptors, and a short section of line?

I have never fooled with brake lines before, so any help would be much appreciated.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
The Fixer

www.classictube.com or www.inlinetube.com will probably have that entire section, but it'll be pricey. The budget fix would be to cut that section off, double flare the end and get a new fitting to match the rubber line, and put it together again. The choice is yours; how much you wanna spend?

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Squirrel
13 Second Club

its not really how much he has to spend, its more a thing of time restraints
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
www.classictube.com or www.inlinetube.com will probably have that entire section, but it'll be pricey. The budget fix would be to cut that section off, double flare the end and get a new fitting to match the rubber line, and put it together again. The choice is yours; how much you wanna spend?
Thanks Steve, looks like I can get a full 7 piece stainless brake line set from inlinetube for $180.00. I may just go that route since I have some extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
its not really how much he has to spend, its more a thing of time restraints
And Eric, I think mom will let me go a few extra days for unknown broken parts popping up. As much as she wants the car out of the driveway, I really don't think she wants me driving that thing with no brakes

- Justin

Old 05-31-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Update: Mom doesn't care what is broken, the car must leave the driveway tomorrow.

I have been told that the car will be "driveable" if the front brakes are bled and the master cylinder is kept full. The line in question only leaks when pressure is applied. Think this would be safe just to go from the street to the driveway and back a few times while waiting for proper lines to show up? It would be much easier than pushing it up the driveway

- Justin

Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Update: Mom doesn't care what is broken, the car must leave the driveway tomorrow.

I have been told that the car will be "driveable" if the front brakes are bled and the master cylinder is kept full. The line in question only leaks when pressure is applied. Think this would be safe just to go from the street to the driveway and back a few times while waiting for proper lines to show up? It would be much easier than pushing it up the driveway

- Justin
yea you will just have a mushy pedel and fluid leaking when you hit the pedal
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
JerzLT1

nah youll be completly fine actually considering i drove from freehold to hammonton with no rear brakes cauase i didnt know. the fluid is seperated in the master, front and rear i believe, it can spill over but youll be fine
Old 06-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Formula
nah youll be completly fine actually considering i drove from freehold to hammonton with no rear brakes cauase i didnt know. the fluid is seperated in the master, front and rear i believe, it can spill over but youll be fine
haha i hope your joking...lets not turn this thread into the one on thirdgen where the guy asked if he can just remove his rear brakes
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Car is out in the street, and will prolly stay there till the brake line kit arrives. Since I have the extra money I ordered a seven piece stainless steel brake line kit. Since I already found two leaky lines, who knows when the others will go. Better safe than sorry.....

- Justin

Old 06-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #10
Fasterthanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Formula
haha i hope your joking...lets not turn this thread into the one on thirdgen where the guy asked if he can just remove his rear brakes
Well top fuel and lawn mowers don't need front brakes :P .
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech