Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > Other Musclecars

Notices

Old 08-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #51
V
Stalker

Comprehensive Coverage on my auto policy would cover the tree damage, but not liability alone. That was also discussed when I called since all my insurance is through the one company.

It does suck but if I sell enough of the parts, I should make back close to if not more than what I have invested into the car. Plus then the motor/trans would be a "freebie" almost.

Ill wait until at least spring to buy something else since I hope prices will ease a bit by then. And I really don't know what I'd want. Probably a 4dr/v8/manual... so limited options. In the meantime I still have other cars to drive and there is an older escalade around the block sitting in a driveway I may ask about buying.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #52
V
Stalker

I'll be starting to list parts for sale tonight but probably nothing on this site since its not an f-body.

Earlier I mentioned other issues the car has/may have. The major one is that the previous owner had a front end collision and the front "frame" section was replaced. The section from just in front of the passenger tire around to the driver side behind the headlight is from a different car. The welded seam was rusting and thats how I noticed it. The repair is decent but causes concern now that after I just redid the front suspension, the drivers wheel sits slightly forward in the wheel well. It is probably a cradle alignment issue but unless the front frame witness mark is located perfectly, an accurate alignment is impossible. That was what I was dealing with prior to this happening. I was in touch with an shop in CT that knows GTOs very well that was going to check it out possibly. There is also a section of the frame "rail" on the drivers side under the firewall that has a bubbling/flaking rusty section about 6"x8" that would need to be cut out and repaired. Car also leaks water through the door seals in heavy rain so the original carpet it pretty beat. I did buy a replacement though.
On top of all that, the radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced, passenger door lock doesn't work, parking brake doesn't work, and seats could use new leather covers.

Due to ALL of that on top of the tree damage now, I don't think any reasonable person would fix it. The motor/trans is ideal for my GTA, and a swap that I had wanted to do since I got the GTA 8 years ago. The GTO/Monaro was a fun car while it lasted but its time to move on.

Last edited by V; 09-05-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:57 AM   #53
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #54
BonzoHansen
Admin.

That sucks, sorry Paul.

A little reminder for the test of us about insurance coverage.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #55
maroman88
12 Second Club

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez that blows
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #56
V
Stalker

All Holden parts are off the car and loaded up to be delivered as a package deal to a new owner in south jersey today.

Upon closer inspection of the GTO front "frame" clip, its all sorts of screwed up. I'm really glad I didn't try to fix any more things. Front rails kick up at least 1/4-1/2" higher on passenger side. Probably also why one front wheel is like an inch too far forward and therefore alignment may never have been accurate. Lot of surface rust where the newer rails were welded on and the seam sealer is all falling off showing rust/rot. It was a fun daily driver and beater, but not worthy of project car status. When I first bought it 4 years ago, plans were to use it as a donor for ls1/t56 actually. The monaro conversion only happened because at the time, it was too decent to cut up.

Motor will be rebuilt, with upgrades, and dropped into something else. Transmission is already a fairly recent rebuild with LS7 clutch so no additional work needed there when swap time comes.

Last edited by V; 11-21-2021 at 09:54 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Camaros, Firebirds and the People that own them > Member's Rides > Other Musclecars