Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
DrachenFire

upgrade from the bose?

i recently found out that my car came with the Bose sound system option after i went to Tweeter to check out sound systems... in fact i believe my '96 Z28 came with every option that was available (i don't have anything to check if that's true) but i was wondering would it be even worth it to upgrade? it sounds awesome but the looks are horrible...
DrachenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
V
Stalker

looks? jesus christ this is the 3rd post tonight that made me want to punch babies... get a honda and let us be

the bose is fine, if you NEED to upgrade there are a lot of options but you need to change head unit and all speakers
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
maroman88
12 Second Club

agreeeeed
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT

Last edited by maroman88; 06-09-2007 at 01:36 AM.
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Batman
11 Second Club

Ther goes another 3 IQ points..
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

It's a f****** sound system, who gives a flying f****** s*** how it looks

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.

Last edited by Savage_Messiah; 06-10-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Blacdout96

Well I agree that it doesnt really need to be replaced unless you got speakers cracking, or you wantto puta box in the back, but people like me, have the Bose system...but the tape deck option, not the CD player, so if you have teh tape deck option, change it, if not, leave it be unless NEEDED to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
bokey

what do you mean "looks horrible?" And, in all honesty, why would you want to get different speakers? Bose is one of the best you can buy. If they look as bad as you say just buy different grilles for 'em
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
NightRydaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS View Post
looks? jesus christ this is the 3rd post tonight that made me want to punch babies... get a honda and let us be

the bose is fine, if you NEED to upgrade there are a lot of options but you need to change head unit and all speakers

hahaha, punch babies....

anyways....yea i had the monsoon system and the ONLY reason y i changed it out was b/c i worked at circuit city and could get the ***** so cheap I couldnt pass it up.

Swapping systems on an f-body sucks ass. U have to uninstall the whole stock system b/c it is just that, a full system. Then you get to have the plesure of running new wires to ALL ur speakers, RCA cables, and power wires in a car that has no room in it to begin with. As for looks, well im still cleaning that up. It doesn't look bad, but it could look better. After all, this is a show car for me right now so i have to take a lil different approach..

Serisously, unless u blew the stock system up or can get a full new one for dirt ass cheap, don't bother. the Monsoon one i had sounded great for a factory system, and the Bose probably sounds just as good if not better b/c it is Bose.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRydaSS View Post

hahaha, punch babies....

anyways....yea i had the monsoon system and the ONLY reason y i changed it out was b/c i worked at circuit city and could get the ***** so cheap I couldnt pass it up.

Swapping systems on an f-body sucks ass. U have to uninstall the whole stock system b/c it is just that, a full system. Then you get to have the plesure of running new wires to ALL ur speakers, RCA cables, and power wires in a car that has no room in it to begin with. As for looks, well im still cleaning that up. It doesn't look bad, but it could look better. After all, this is a show car for me right now so i have to take a lil different approach..

Serisously, unless u blew the stock system up or can get a full new one for dirt ass cheap, don't bother. the Monsoon one i had sounded great for a factory system, and the Bose probably sounds just as good if not better b/c it is Bose.

the whole system? i've swapped the headunits on my 2 camaros back and forth and it was just a few plugs/connections but then again i wasn't the first on either car..
i do need new speakers for the back seat though..

PS: Jon that black tape was a ton of fun to play with

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
NightRydaSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipps View Post
the whole system? i've swapped the headunits on my 2 camaros back and forth and it was just a few plugs/connections but then again i wasn't the first on either car..

yea, to install it right, the whole system should be swapped out. Here's why:

For f-bodies with the Monsoon system, were are setup like this:

The front speakers on the door are acutally components. Depending on weither it is an 01 or an 02 ur tweeters will be in different spots (02's on the door, 01's on top of the woofer in the door). I'm almost sure that these are 2 ohm speakers as well. The 01's have 2 connecters on the woofer, one for the tweeter and on for the woofer that plugs into 2 seperate ports on the stock headunit.

The middle speakers are your "subs". i use that term loosly b/c there not "true" subs. This of them as free air bass speakers. i believe these are 4ohm speakers

The hatch has 2 speakers which are 4 ohm.

behind the plastics on the right hand side middle speakers infront of the spare tire is the Monsoon amp. Everything runs into that and then runs into the headunit.

Now, the reason why u really shouldn't just spap out the headunit and speakers is bc these parts are meant to be used as a system. I have installed headunits in these cars (just headunits) and they end up over driving the amp and the sound cuts off, just speakers and they lose all bass.

Now i dunno what ur cars looks like or what was already done to it or not. I'm just goin by my experience. I dunt kno how the Bose system are setup but i assume they are prob setup much like the Monsoon b/c it is a Bose system and Bose isn't crap. I could look that up for you if you like and tell you what i think.

Do youself a favor, if your goin to put new speakers in it and a new headunit, swap out the whole thing and install a totally new system in it. Dont try to introduce foriegn components; you'll just end up spending so much damn time tryin to trouble shoot immediate issue's as well as issues that wont show up for a while.

Eff Dr. Phil; my M6 SS is the only Therapist I need!

Light travels faster then sound; that is why some people appear to be smart until they speak - Unknown
NightRydaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
the whole system? i've swapped the headunits on my 2 camaros back and forth and it was just a few plugs/connections
He was speaking only with cars that have a Bose or Monsoon system, not a base sound system.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
He was speaking only with cars that have a Bose or Monsoon system, not a base sound system.

- Justin
94 has the Bose system

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:

my head unit used to be in that car. it should have been as simple as connect wire-wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post

- Justin
again, nightrider is explaining the correct way to do it. you can put a headunit if you like, but for it so sound correct, you must do quite a lot more. most people couldn't tell the difference anyway. for me, it was earsplitting
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #14
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

keep it civil guys. if i have to delete another post this thread is locking up. if you have a problem with a post, report it. don't argue in the thread. people are trying to help.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment